“Beach Bar - Quality and great location with the Aloha Spirit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern California
“Beach Bar - Quality and great location with the Aloha Spirit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Didn't stay at the Moana, but love their outdoor beachside bar. I frequent Honolulu on business 1-2 times a year for the past several years. If you are looking for a less wilder, less congested setting like Dukes (nothing wrong with Dukes) - you have to try the Beach Bar at the MS.

The ambiance is great. Tables abound and live music continues through the evening. Whether business or pleasure, you will feel relaxed and with a slight upbeat vibe with a better chance of scoring tables. They are attentive but not intrusive and don't make you feel they need to "turn over the table"

Room Tip: n/a - bar review only
Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel looks excellent. Colonial design and charming interior. The staff could not do enough, they were absolutely superb in every way. Each one I met, be it pool staff, check-in, concierge, or bar staff were excellent, helpful, and interesting to talk to. I received an upgrade on check-in to an ocean view banyan wing room. The room was absolutely fine for my needs and in very good condition. The only drawbacks I found were that the windows were paper thin. You could hear cutlery being used in the breakfast room 6 floors below, and entertainment went on until 2230 each night. I had an early flight out when I left, so I tried to get an early night. No joy there, I could hear almost every whisper from the beach bar. Also, the wifi was weird: It went from blazing fast speed to completely out of order on a five minute cycle. So really, wonderful hotel, wonderful service, just needs a touch of polishing for that last star.

Room Tip: Banyan Wing Ocean View rooms have single glazing. Tower wing might be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

As a loyal SPG Lifetime Platinum Guest I appreciate being able to use my starpoints when I want too without black out dates ....and that was the case for my return back to the Mona Surfrider! This Waikikii Hotel is in the center of it all offering warm inviting hospitality from arrival to check out! It is a resort with much history and has been updated along the way, but still keeps its historic features in the original hotel building and blends the newer tower wing with rich Hawaiian blends. The rooms are well equipped with Westin Heavenly Beds, offer larger full bathrooms, and also have Kona Coffee and Coffee Makers along with mini refrigerators. While I had used SPG Suite Night Awards they could not be honored and were returned to my account. I was upgraded from a city view historic wing to ocean view with lanai (porch) on the 4th floor of the historic bldg.but downgraded from a King to Double Beds to take this upgrade. The tower bldg is the newest wing at the property and the rooms have both city and sweeping views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head.. I stayed in these particular rooms last time and can say that I enjoyed both of them, however the views are much better in the higher tower bldg. The staff is incredible from the housekeeping , wait staff and front desk! I really want to commend the housekeeping staff for keeping my room and property super clean! My room was always serviced well daily with restocking of bottle water, towels, etc. I always feel better when staying in such a well kept property and wanted to commend their hard work!
I was invited to the General Manager's Reception on Wed evening of my stay and really enjoyed the event much with some great company and wine to share on the back outdoor porch.
I would highly recommend this property to anyone, and as a repeat visitor look forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Recommend Tower Room if available facing Ocean/Beach or Historic Building facing ocean as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Upon arrival last night at this grand old hotel we thought we had died and gone to heaven - old world hawaiian charm in all its glory. As the most expensive part of a month long American journey it appeared to be worth the extra expense. Then we reached the room and the disappointment grew. We paid extra to stay in a waterview rooms only to find that the 'balcony' is about a foot wide with no possbility of being of any value. The bathroom is the size of a pimple and about as appealing. Old daggy shower curtain over a bath that is so old it is positively grimy and depressing. Never mind, perhaps we are just tired so we will go to bed.....the sheets dont even fit the bed so our feet stick out the end......and the blankets we requested before we arrived, naturally, were not there........when ordered they were thrown on the bed, not made, and when we made them up the blankets didnt fit at all. We were woken in the morning by the sound of our kids voices - hadnt we paid to have them in a separate room?? Yes but the walls are so thin we can hear them talking, and hear them enough to have woken us up! so now that we are up early how about a trip to the pool - quick change in the poolside bathrooms - wet filthy tissue all over the floor - could that be the case first thing in the morning - surely they clean it each night?
All in all a charming old hotel with really really crappy expensive rooms. Is this the best they can do? No wonder they insist on full payment in advance - I feel completely trapped! I have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian next door and the Halakalani down the road - both were vastly superior to our experience at the Moana Surfrider thus far....I can only hope it gets better as the week ages......

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a decent bathroom and walls thick enough not to hear the people next door! Perh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydin-eey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The beach location and easy going atmosphere is perfect for kids and teenagers and families without being a circus like the Sheraton. Pool is small but ok as beach location makes up for it.
Restaurants are overpriced and average for the exorbitant cost.
The early morning free yoga was the highlight! Great start to the day to do outdoor yoga near the beach. Mat was terrific !

We had a lovely relaxing experience. However the long waits at the mixed reception and the overfriendly service by the waiters at the beach strongly hinted for tip begging.

Overall we would return here but not to the Sheraton Waikiki which is really a shopping centre with rooms and a beautiful pool.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Woongarrah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed from 8. -12 jan13. Very poor service in front beach restaurant area due to insufficient staffing. If you are a disabled customer, do not stay in old wing as miles away from facilities. New tower wing not fully ADA rooms. Very busy hotel and insufficient seating around small pool. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
SYDNEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I want to start by saying that Pauline our room attendant was brilliant and helpfull, she saved this place for me. The postion of this hotel is absolutely 6 star right on the beach and wonderful views from most rooms id say , my family and i were in the Diamond view part of the hotel, all well and good but our room had an ajoining door that must have been part of a suite, you could hear the people next door like they were in the room with us! It was very annoying.
I had to call the desk for faulty tv...
I had to call desk for water pouring from airconditioner.....
Im sure that this hotel and Hawaii in general had a Golden Era but those days are definately GONE!
PS: The Hawaiii experience for me was a bit of a let down, the amount of homeless sleeping so close to the hotel and using the sidewalk as a toilet just didnt do it for me when walking through the main road with my wife and kids, The local authorities need to sort that out cause we wont be back to Hawaii