“Terrible service and terrible rooms!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible service and terrible rooms!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

For the price that we paid to stay at this hotel the experience could not have been worse.
Every staff member we had the displeasure of coming across was either disinterested or downright rude. Obviously for this many staff to have such a poor attitude towards their guests there is some serious issues at this hotel. This hotel reflects badly on not only the Westin but also on the Starwood group.
We had an ocean view room in the Diamond building. The room and furniture were very dated and the room was very small, but the bathroom was the worst it was tiny and badly in need of an update.
We visited a few other hotels for dinner etc while we were in Oahu and from what we saw would recommend the Halakalani as the most luxurious hotel, the Trump hotel was also really nice and had great service or the Sheraton probably had the best pool.
Do not stay here, if we had let it this horrible hotel would have ruined our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

2,553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The location and amenities are great but the sleep quality and the service from some of the bar/ restaurant staff was a let down.

The air conditioning in the rooms is very loud and made sleeping with it on very difficult but if you turn it off the room gets quite hot. It was honestly as loud as sleeping on a plane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked this hotel as it looked just wonderful in the brochure and on line. However, it is not worth the money. Yes it is very nice but the bathroom looked as if it hadn't been decorated or modernised since the 1950's. The hotel has a great location and is very quiet but it is very expensive for what you get. Not really all that impressed.

Room Tip: Make sure you determine whether you want to go into a Tower Room or Diamond Block
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

There are a few negative reviews posted recently; makes me wonder if I stayed at the same hotel because I had a great experience at the Moana Surfrider and thought it was a wonderful hotel. Their airport pickup (thru Roberts) was right on time, met me with a lei, and was the lowest cost option to get from airport to Waikiki. Checkin was fast. When I asked about late checkout they told me I could stay until 4:00 because I'm an SPG Gold member. The room was nice, not big but had everything I needed. The Westin beds are always so comfortable! There is a nice desk for work, fast internet, a minifridge (not a minibar) so you can buy stuff outside to stock it. No tub and the shower did leak but put a towel on the floor and no problem. Towels were thick, soft and plentiful. The Moana Surfrider is the oldest hotel on the strip and has moderized carefully while keeping a nice historical feel. I love the stairs, porch with rocking chairs, verandah, hardwood floors, the huge banyan tree in the back. There is a grand piano in the lobby with nightly live entertainment. Hotel is shaped like a horseshoe with the back facing the ocean, direct access to the beach. Pool is small but I just went straight to the beach. Workout center (fitness room) is on the second floor and can be a little hard to find the first time, but can be accessed 24 hours with your room key and is stocked with Life Fitness equipment (the best). There were 6 treadmills facing the street so you could run and watch the people go by. For running, you can go south to Kapiolani Park and have a nice run around the park. My flight was not until after 10pm, so when I checked out at 4:00, they kept my bags and I went out to the beach. When I returned they offered a "hospitality room", which was a regular hotel room they let people use for up to 45 minutes for no charge (I did leave a tip). It was so nice! Had a hot shower and got all cleaned up before heading to the airport. Overall I really enjoyed my stay. Only thing I didn't like is that they have initiated a mandatory $25/day "resort fee" for which they give a long list of services it includes. Most of them like parking and one photo a day I don't use, so didn't like paying for them. Would rather have paid $14/day for internet rather than now paying $25/day resort fee with internet included. (By the way, I love Sheraton and Westin hotels, but the chain needs to catch up with the modern age and offer free wifi in all hotels.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

A good clean and tidy hotel,nothing really to boast about.I"m not sure of its rating but I would give it 3.5.Reception staff were friendly but I had to wait 20 mins to be served.My room was ready at check in even though I was a little early.Romms are very small compared to other hotels.House keeping staff were very good and always changed linen when asked.The only problem was swimming pool was tiny and to make things worse they have a female fun police officer.YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE FUN IN THE POOL.Do not play with your kids in the pool,do not laugh or chase them in the water.You will be told to stop.The other drawback with the pool is some guests get there early and reserve more spots than they need.There was one elderly couple that thought they were at home because they would take a corner table with 4 chairs and also place towels on another 4 chairs on either side just in case they had the odd visitor and they were there all day.This happened every day.I informed the managment but they were not interested.The management should realise that all guests pay for these facilities.

Room Tip: Go to the newer part
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your experience with us. We do apologize for the challenges you had experienced at the pool. Given the size of our pool, we do have certain rules and regulations in place for the pure safety of our guests. By no means do we not want our guests to enjoy themselves. We have shared your comments with our pool attendants so as to ensure when assisting our guests, it is done in accordance with our Aloha spirit and customer service top mind. We are looking into the matter about reserving tables at the pool that are not being used. Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us. We do hope that you’ll return for a visit, and if you do, please let us know so that we may oversee your reservation.
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having had some great experiences at Westin hotels in the past, I had high hopes for the Moana Surfrider, but was deeply disappointed. Starting from the entrance to the hotel, where my aging mother struggled with a heavy suitcase on the hotel's front steps, in full sight of several idle valets who didn't offer to help. The room itself - the basic "city view" - was blandly decorated, with absolutely no natural light even at midday (the sky was blocked by the hotel next door). The room was incredibly noisy at night - there's no sound insulation at all from the doors leading out to the balcony. The in-room teapot was broken, as was the showerhead in the shower, which kept spraying water onto the bathroom floor. And, bizarrely, the concierge desk closed at 8 on a Friday night, so there was no help available for making evening plans.

The only positives: the typically comfy Heavenly bed, plus really beautiful public areas, and a great, central Waikiki location. But overall I don't think this hotel rises to the standards I expect from a Westin hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,
Mahalo for your review. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations of a Westin Resort. We normally receive glowing reviews about our bellmen and valet staff, so do apologize that you did not receive such service. We feel this is an isolated case, so again, apologize sincerely. Relative to certain amenities in your guestroom, we do hope that you contacted our Guest Service Manager on duty who could either have the problem tended to, or perhaps have organized a room move for you. Also, in double checking the hours of our concierge desk, they actually are open from 7am-9pm daily. So, with them not there at 8:00pm is a concern.
Feel free though to contact a Guest Service Manager on duty at anytime you may have a question or need assistance as they are always available. Your feedback is very important and will be shared with those departments mentioned so that we can continue to improve on the services and amenities available to our guests. Should you require further assistance, -please feel free to contact us at 374guestexperience@westin.com.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel dishonored the reservation and lied. I booked and paid for Premier Ocean View Room at Moana Surfrider 3 months ago through Expedia. But when I checked in on 11/21, the front desk staffs told me that Expedia never made that reservation to them and all of their ocean view rooms have been sold out. When I showed them the receipt, they then went inside saying they are contacting Expedia to find out. When they came back like 15, 20 minutes later, they still insisted this is Expedia’s fault but they can give me a city view room and a few coupons. I told them I can’t accept that since I came all the way to Honolulu just for that ocean view and there’s several hundred dollars price difference between Premier Ocean and City view rooms. Besides, no matter it’s Moana or Expedia’s fault, I have no control over it. All I’m sure is that somebody just took my money and totally ignored it!! I asked to see the manager. Then it came someone named Jade (?). She didn’t help at all, but just repeated the same thing and gave some useless PR talks. I brought my family there for vacation, not for dealing with all these hassles. It was totally ruined by these irresponsible guys. I then desperately asked (actually begged) if they can find a ocean view room from any nearby hotels. After quite a while, they finally told me that they can “upgrade” me to Royal Hawaiians after 7pm. Royal Hawaiian is for sure a quality hotel, but this was definitely not an “upgrade”. I was put into a so-called “Ocean Front Room”. But since it’s on the 3rd floor, the trees in front block majority of the ocean view. While the Tower Premier Ocean View I originally booked is supposed to be the best view room on upper floors. It was just a hopeless “alternative” than an “Upgrade”. And it took me several hours to get a room and moved my luggage up and down from this hotel to another. I called Expedia after I have everything settled to complain and asked for compensation. And astonishingly found out that Expedia did make the reservation and Moana Surfrider has admitted to them but they didn’t actually call Expedia at the 1st place while I was checking in. Gosh… the hotel staffs lied!! Is this a Westin standard?? I talked to Moana the next day to question them why they lied to me. Now they admitted that they didn’t “express” it right. Now they said they can’t give me a room because they are all sold out. Sold out? Whom are they sold to? Wasn’t there a room should have been sold to me 3 months ago? I asked for compensation and they said all they can offer is $100 reward. For a more than $3000 package and for all the hassles and frustration, $100 is never a right compensation. A refund might be more appropriate. Very disappointed! Ignore the reservation and lie to customer. What else worse thing can a hotel do? Westin or Sheraton, you have serious management problem here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,
Mahalo for bringing this problem to our attention. We’d like to sincerely apologize for the situation that occurred and would like to personally discuss with you the details of your stay so that we may further investigate this situation. Please contact our main line at 808.922.3111 and ask to speak with our Director of Operations, Cynthia Chow. We look forward to your reply so that we may address this issue immediately.
Mahalo!

Been to Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!