“A nice get away!! September 28 - Oct 1” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
l0vet0travel77
“A nice get away!! September 28 - Oct 1”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed for a nice weekend getaway. 80+ degrees, lots of surfers. We have stayed in Waikiki a few times and have always loved to come to Moana's Beach Bar, so we decided this time to stay there. We were very pleased. Mind you, it is in the heart of Waikiki Beach and there are lots of people. If you do not mind this then you are set. If you want a quiet getaway with a private beach, this is not it. For this trip we wanted to be in the heart of it with beautiful surroundings. We stayed in the Diamond wing, which are Oceanfront rooms. They advertise there is no balcony but there is plenty of room to pull up one of their chairs and relax and enjoy the ocean view. These rooms are in a more private area of the hotel. The rooms (average size w plain, clean bathroom - if you are looking for luxury in the bathroom this is not it) over look a nice courtyard, small gazebo (many weddings are done here) and of, course the beach and Diamond Head Mountain. The Tower rooms, Oceanside (as a comparable) are more expensive but you have a large balcony and a view over the hotel courtyard, the historical banyon tree, pool, beach bar and beach and better view of the sunset and the Royal Hawaiian, which is located next to Moana. We liked the Diamond wing and would stay there again. The pool is small but nice. The service and food is wonderful. The location is nice because though it is in the heart of Waikiki and nice walking distance to all the shopping and dining it doesnt feel like you are right on top of the shopping as you are just a block or two down. This is a beautiful Historical Hotel and we loved it!!!

Room Tip: Diamond Wing - see review above.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Aloha ,
We are thrilled you had such a great stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. . The views from our ocean categories are definitely breath-taking. With Waikiki Beach as our backyard, our guests can enjoy the ocean and magnificent sunsets. We’d like to welcome you to the Moana Surfrider on your next visit to Hawaii.
Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Napa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I made my reservations 6 months ahead of time as I was giving myself this trip to celebrate my 70th birthday. At that time I explained I was disabled and have a history with this hotel, as I was born on the island and my Mom and Dad used to visit the Banyan court to listen to "Hawaii Calls", and could I possibly have an upgrade. I was promised I could. On my past visit to the Moana I was treated like a princess, and while I did not expect that to happen this time, I did expect "Aloha Spirit". You used to be greeted with a Lei, a scented wash cloth for your hands and face, and juice handed to you. Now- no lei, no wash cloth, Juice in a automated machine-help your self. I was taken to my room, that was not much more than a cell, the door so heavy I could barely open it. I had a walker to manipulate through the door and between that and the heavy door it was very painful. I have compression fractures of my lumbar spine and have to be very careful. OK, back the room. I tried to open the windows. Could not. The remote to the T.V. did not work. After calling this was handled with the comment that I may be glad not to have the windows open.????????? Luckily the guy knew how the tv worked and explained or I would have been tv less. My view was of a filthy roof and then the street- I was on the third floor. There are so many things that came up I can not tell you. Asked for a knife and fork to take to my room.. No that has to come up with housekeeping and you will be charged. On Sunday there was a Ceremony on the beach and we were to all come in bathing suits so after the ceremony we could go into the water. I called down to the concierge to make sure this was on the public beach, as the drop off on the Moana's private beach is not something I can do with my back injury. She checked and said that indeed it was safe for me and they would have someone there. No one was their and it was the drop off and I fell. I could go on and on, but it makes me so sad. I have a bill for almost $2,000.00 and while I was able to make some good memories, they could have been much better. Oh yes, they were indeed right about the windows being closed.. The noise at night was awful. Saturday night was the Aloha Festival and I went to that. This makes me sad to write and brings it all back. This will be my memory of my last trip to the land where I was born. Leilani I was there for 5 nights and every day there was another problem. Some handled some not.

Room Tip: If you are below the 10th floor do not get a city view. And make you desires known and document the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Aloha,
Mahalo for your feedback regarding your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We appreciate your patience and would like a chance to speak with you directly to discuss the details of the issues that occurred during your stay. Please contact us at 374guestexperience@westin.com. We look forward to connecting with you soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hotel has a lot of character and class. Service was great and friendly. Beautiful views of the beach. The only down fall is that the hotel is right on the busy street and crowded with people. Overall a nice experience and good for a short stay. Rooms are small as is the pool. If you're looking for something more relaxing and quiet this is not your place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted you had enjoyed the wonderful views of Waikiki beach. "The First Lady of Waikiki" is filled with the old Westin charm and elegance. We are glad you had a chance to embrace these intimate traits of the Moana. We look forward to your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is in the heart of Waikiki. That being said, yes there is street noise, and yes it is VERY busy. We booked a Tower Ocean View room on the 19th floor with Diamond Head views. Some have complained that the rooms are small, I can only speak for the Tower room we had. It was dated, relatively nice-sized, but the bathroom was small. Great view from the balcony. Street noise and noise from performers/singers both on the street and at the hotel will be an issue up until 10-11 pm, even on the higher floors. Our room was otherwise very quiet at night, but we had the AC on which masked some of the noise. I can imagine that the noise for rooms facing the street and/or on lower floors would be a big problem for any of the resorts here.

The pool is very small. I am more of a beach person so this was not an issue for me. I will say that due to the beach erosion on Waikiki, the beach here is now very narrow and you will be jockeying for beach space all along the strip unless you want to pay for a reserved umbrella at the hotel. Surf and boogie board rental on the beach just next door. Nice gym. Did not use any of the spa services. Valet parking very busy.

There is a very large Japanese clientele at this hotel (as well as most hotels on Waikiki) with multiple Japanese weddings everyday.

We enjoyed our stay. I would recommend this hotel to those who want to be in the heart of Waikiki or for their first visit if noise and lots of people don't bother you. Almost everything you could ever want to eat or buy is within walking distance. Noise will be an issue, at least until 10-11pm every night. Breakfast is busy, but they seated people very quickly. The beach bar service is slow as others have said. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Aloha ,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Being centrally located on the famous Waikiki beach allows our guests to experience shopping, cultural activities and the beach all within walking distance. We look forward to your next return to the “First Lady of Waikiki.”
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

What a beautiful place to stay. The historic hotel is located on Waikiki beach just across from the International Market Place.

Nice rooms with great views. Friendly staff with great service. I can see why many choose to get married at this hotel. Great outdoor area with live music and beautiful sandy beaches.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Aloha ,
Thank you for your wonderful comments! Many newlyweds choose to celebrate their special occasion at the Moana Surfrider. As the first hotel built on Waikiki beach, couples are able to experience the old Westin charm and create Moana memories. We look forward to your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

After staying here in December 2011 and being disappointed, we were comped an upgrade by the manager for a return visit. Stayed in the Tower section this time on the Executive Floor. What a difference! Housekeeping staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. Ocean view was nice, and the front desk personnel were attentive to our needs. The hotel is still a bit pricey (it's a glorified Sheraton) and I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to others, as there are better properties in town at a similar price point (Halekulani, Trump, Royal Hawaiian).

Room Tip: Avoid the historic wing. Rooms are small and noisy.
Aloha ,
Thank you for returning to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We’re so happy that we we’re able experience the true Moana Surfirder. As a Westin brand, we pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service and creating Moana memories. We appreciate your review and await your next arrival to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I finished a three night stay at this classic hotel. Arrival was smooth as I chose to valet the car I rented. Upon entering toward the check in area, the line was quite long. I looked arond for the SPG Gold/Plat check in and found no one in line. I was greeted with a smile and welcome. I was burning some miles for this trip so I was no expecting much.

I had booked a King corner City View Room. We were given a room on the 4 th floor in the original building. I opened the door to the room and the door brushed by the end of the bed by inches. The room was that small. To see the view, I had to look from the corner of the window to see anything. Otherwise, the view was of the air-conditioning units on the roof. They were quite noisy. My wife encouraged me to go to the frontbdesk to see if there was another room.

I saw the same gentleman who checked me in. He glanced at his computer and said there was a room available but only twin beds. I agreed and took the keys to the new room. This new room was on the third floor of the classic building and was larger than the original. The room was facing the street and the noise was quite evident. Fortunately, we do not stay in the room that much but only to sleep. We headed out to explore the area.

The area is busy with people and cars. Lots or stores and restaurants in the area. We did not even try the beach as it was over crowded. The loobybarea was quite busy all time of the day. Lots of weddings gojng on.

Upon returning to the room, I noticed a plastic envelope on the desk. It contained eye shades and ear plugs provided by the Hotel. It was a good idea as our room was facing the street and the windows are not double pane. I assume they cannot change the windows due to the historical nature of the hotel.

The original hotel is vintage. Some people like the older feel of a hotel like this but I am the opposite. I should have gone over the reviews of this hotel on trip advisor but I did not. It is an OK hotel for it's location and I probably would have chosen the tower to get away from the street noise.

It is a classic hotel and has good qualities to it but I would do a few different things if I chose to stay atnthis hotel in the future. One thing, stay away from the street if you want to have a decent sleep.

Room Tip: The old building does not have double pane windows. The room facing the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!