“Good Location, elegant hotel, friendly, accommodating staffs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #31 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Wichita, Kansas
“Good Location, elegant hotel, friendly, accommodating staffs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The location of this hotel is very convenient : in the middle of hustling and bustling Waikiki, walking distance to the mall and shops, beach access . There is a dedicated line for gold/plat member to check in/out. The frontdesk staff there is very friendly and accommodating. She called us when we were walking around international market that our upgraded room is ready (we checked in early). And even offer to check us out late (4PM). The hotel is beautiful and elegant with a lot of wedding going on at the same time. We had a great time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

2,704 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Berkeley CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

i spent two nights at the Moana Surfrider while i was in Honolulu for a conferences, and it was a total delight. I've made a number of trips to Hawaii over the past few years, and after a while the huge, contemporary hotels with their generic lobbies and oversized, theme-park, pools begin to run together. This hotel is utterly distinct. A beautiful colonial structure has been painstakingly updated and preserved. Touches like the rocking chairs on the front veranda, the lovely back porch area overlooking the water, and the human scale of the hotel (one of the smaller, cozier Westins I've stayed in) are totally appealing. The room (which I believe was in the historic wing) was small, but beautifully maintained and impeccably clean. The "heavenly bed" and updated bathroom (with nice shampoos and other amenities) made the stay comfortable and enjoyable.When I return to Waikiki, I'll be heading straight for the Westin Moana Surfrider!

Room Tip: We loved staying in a room right above the lobby. Although we could walk right down a flight of stai...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Port Moody, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Wow this hotel is pretty close to the perfect Westin! The historic wing is great, the suites even better. The high rise is more modern but not as nice imho. The architecture and the banyan tree courtyard are a special part of the history of Waikiki and this hotel immerses you in an original experience. Room upgrades are hard to come by when you are on running with free SPG reward nights, 1/3 visits we got upgraded. Also SPG Suite Nights are pretty much useless here. With 3 visits in the last 5 years we come back time after time for a reason, the location is epic. Yes, the pool could be bigger, but it's good enough for young kids and the beach is right there if you like sand. The city view rooms are noisier than beach view but we seemed to manage just fine. Food can be a little pricey for the value, but no real complaints on quality, breakfasts were great. Service was good in our experience on every visit.

Room Tip: Historic Wing every time
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

You know how in travel you occasionally find the place where you feel like it was made for you? That was my experience at the Surfrider. I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just plow ahead:

The second oldest hotel on Waikiki Beach the Surfrider's colonial architecture is extremely elegant and beautiful. Wide open doors to let the breeze in front and back, antiques, Apple computers for guest use, grand stairway, columns, grand piano for the afternoon jazz hour, etc., etc.

On, but not on Waikiki Beach, the outdoor space in the back of the hotel (my favorite) is terraced and and is landscaped around a large old banyan tree, Upon leaving the hotel you pass through the wide veranda where you can sit in deep, wood Indonesian-style lounge chairs under the ceiling fans and listen to the really-high quality Hawai'in nostalgic music piped in, Beyond this, a few steps down are tables and chairs under the banyan tree where light meals or drinks are served. A few steps below is the outside bar area, below this is the pool and lounge chairs, a few steps away is Waikiki Beach. Because of the terracing you always have the beautiful water in your eyes. Because the beach is not super-wide here, there are not large crowds from elsewhere, giving it the feeling of Surfrider's private beach. Everything is lushly and tastefully landscaped and ambient lit.

Food and Drink: Before we were guests at the hotel, we happened to come for breakfast, and ate at the breakfast buffet. It was $30 a person, but it was worth it. We're not big eaters generally, and I can't even do it justice in description. We looked forward to it, and ate here everyday. BTW, as a registered guest, they take 20% off the breakfast tabs. We ate dinner at he restaurant one night when we weren't out investigating Waikiki and it was the same--expensive but worth it. It was here eating dinner on the veranda with the lighting, the landscaping, the waves of the Pacific lapping nearby, and listening to Jeremy Chang (the house musician--really talented), that I turned to my husband and said, "this is what Heaven must look like." Oh btw, the drinks are out of this world including one they invented the "Vanilla Refresh"--well-balanced, strong, all fresh ingredients, and served with orchids and tons of fresh fruit.

We stayed in the traditional/original wing (there are a million modern hotel rooms on Waikiki). We, in my opinion, 'stole' our room. I couldn't believe we could afford to stay here for all we got. Was it the biggest, nicest room ever? No, But, then again, it was fine. The hotel was full due to a special event, and we were lucky to get something as nice as we got. Again, colonial architecture, updated of course--comfy bed with the yummy linens, window seat, nice city view.

Customer service-- unbelievable. Friendly, but not obsequious, helpful, just nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
san mateo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times and some things do not change. The service of the front desk staff is at best terrible on good day- catch any one of them on a bad day and expect your trip to be ruined. Do they care? They really do not care if you have a wonderful stay or not. It is very apparent in their attitude. They are there to fulfill their daily work duty -simply to show up- and then go home. They seem to look like they are tired of complaints and requests from unsatisfied customers. They dont care if you are a platinum member or one of the many coming from the droves of tour buses. You are just a number.
Unfortunately, the valet staff , being well tipped all day is as good as it gets at this hotel. If youre lucky to find a chair by the pool be prepared to wait awhile for any service-oh wait its self service. Ive learned over the years not to expect much and have bounced from all the Starwoods hotels in Hnl but unfortunately they are about the same level of service.

Whoever manages the employees customer service training department should be fired. The employees probably have no idea about the concept of working in a hotel business which requires some sort of customer relations and have the customers first attitude.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
FirstLady2365, Sales Coordinator at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to review our hotel. We are deeply troubled about your experience at our resort. We would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. Please contact our Director of Operations at anytime by calling 808.922.3111. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights as a part of my honeymoon around America.

The position and the presentation of this hotel is good but their people are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

They knew I was only there for two nights and it is my honeymoon and in this type of situation you want to spend "less" time down at the reception and "more" time in your room & going out which seems to be a little difficult for them to grasp.

The person at the reception did not have a good command of English language. I understand that this place has a lot of Japanese visitors but I speak English and don't want to be welcomed by someone who has difficulty understanding it. I asked her one question, she answers something different which took us some time down stairs.

Every hotel I had been to so far did something nice for me and the check in was usually flawless. In here I repeated to them it is my honeymoon, asked if an upgrade was available, she said nothing is available (which is fine), then she tells me the room we had booked was not ready and we had to wait for 2 hours so we decided to take another room in the same category (It's 2 PM and you don't have my room ready, thank you).

We take the room that was ready, show up to the room and realized that it is someone elses room and it is their 50th anniversary or something and they had left flowers and notes for this person in the room. Next thing we know someone knocks on our door and says he has some champagne for a Japanese person that is supposed to be in this room. So they are testing my nerves at every step.....

I ring to speak to the manager, had to wait for nearly 15 minutes on the phone till someone picks up and decides to send us some champagne once they realize it is my honeymoon. I much rather I had a flawless experience and spent less time during check in than be bribed by a bottle of champagne.

The room itself is quite small, Wifi either does not work or if it does work it works at dial up speed at it's best. I told them about this at the check out that they are charging $25 per day just for resort fees and their internet connection doesn't even work. The person said we have to charge you anyway because you had the option of ringing the technician for a router that either drops out or works at dial up speed. Sure I am there to spend time with your technician on the phone and it is completely not your responsibility to have a fast "working" internet for $25 per day.

There are a couple of positives about this hotel. The room cleaning service is immaculate, they call you by name if they see you at the corridor and they do a great job cleaning the room. A tip for hotel management is perhaps they can have the cleaning lady down at the reception of the hotel. I think she will do a better job than the current staff there.

I don't think I will be staying here again and would advise anyone going to Hawaii not to.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Nav, Mahalo for staying with us on your special occasion and taking the time to post a detailed review. This level of detail is important to us so we know exactly how we can improve future experiences for all of our guests. Please accept our sincere apology for the "check-in" challenges faced on this honeymoon trip. Thank you for your comment about your room not being ready by 2 pm. Whenever possible, we allow guests to check in early, however, please know that the guaranteed check in time is 3 pm. Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, we would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail. Please call 808.922.3111 and ask to be connected with our Director of Operations. We hope to hear from you.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in March. The hotel itself is lovely, a real stand out on Waikiki beach as it's surrounded by high rises and has real character. We were originally given a top floor city view room (as booked) in the original building, but this proved to be so noisy throughout the night - the sounds of music, cars and partying going on until 4am then people going to work etc from 6am! We asked to move and were given a courtyard view room (from which we could also see a sliver of the beach and sea!) which was far better. To the rooms themselves: they were very modern with very comfy beds and clean bathrooms but are very small - I wonder if when a refurb took place they might have tried to squeeze a couple less rooms onto each floor and expand each existing room a little? The bathroom was tiny with only a shower and no bath, which didn't bother us but might some others.
Breakfast was good, we had buffet style which also included some hot items from the kitchen such as pancakes and omelettes, but I thought there could perhaps have been a bit more choice on the buffet itself.
The outdoor bar is lovely at night and the cocktails amazingly strong - one Mai Tai is all you need!
The pool is very small but Waikiki beach is two steps away and the sea is warm and shallow so no real need for a huge pool. Be warned though that the sea seemed particularly salty to me and takes ages to wash out of your hair!
All in all I would recommend the hotel, but it is pretty expensive for what you get, but you're paying for location at the end of the day.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street are really noisy! I believe they're called the Waikiki View rooms on...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!