“First trip to Waikiki Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Royal Grove Hotel
You added Royal Grove Hotel to your Saves list
151 Uluniu Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Rosa, California
“First trip to Waikiki Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

It's all about location at the Royal Grove Hotel. It is about a block and a half from beautiful Waikiki Beach. We could even see the beach from the balcony. The hotel staff is so wonderful. They will accommodate any request the best that they possibly can. Be sure and grab a chair and boogie on the way to the beach. There are great restaurants and shopping all within walking distance. We had a rental car and parking is available about three blocks away. Although, the walk isn't bad. The room is nothing fancy, but the location cannot be beat for the price. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Honolulu hotels can be quite expensive and the Royal Grove is definitely affordable but. And the but means that this place is way beyond outdated, it wasn't very clean and it was always so noisy around the hotel.I noticed right away the fire alarm in our room that was ripped off the wall. There were too many drunks and wagabounds roaming in the side street just to the south of the Royal Grove. Next time I would rather spend more money and I will stay at a different hotel/condo. .Most of the clients at this place seemed to be elderly retired people with limited income and so I can understand why they picked this hotel as their winter residence.I think one day soon bulldozers will take care of this old relic.

Room Tip: just save few more $ and find another place so you can leave Honolulu with pleasant memories
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect, just two blocks from Waikiki beach. Rooms are spacious with a plenty of storage room, bathroom complete with bath and a well equipped kitchenette. The hotel’s pool is small, but serves its purpose and we found we had it to ourselves the majority of the time. There is wifi available in the lobby area and laundry facilities for those on longer trips. Body boards, beach mats, snorkel gear, beach toys etc are all free to borrow which was great. Reception staff were helpful and courteous, happy to answer any queries. Many of the guests we chatted to had returned to this hotel year after year and I can understand why as it is exceptional value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

After 4 fantastic days on Maui our expectations were high, but we were not disappointed.
The Royal Grove was outstanding value, so well located, clean, spacious, well-serviced and with a real feeling of warmth.
After a morning on the very close Waikiki Beach I could just lie on the bed or sit on the lanai enjoying the sound of other guests in the pool and looking at the sky.
The Monday night live music and dancing in which the owner participated was genuine and uplifting.
Back home in Sydney, on the same budget, I would probably have been in a backpacker hostel with a shared bathroom.
Yes, the fittings might be dated but the full kitchen had more than enough of everything and better knives that I have had in expensive places.
!!!!!! AND the room was serviced daily!

Room Tip: Our lanai looked over the pool rather than towards the beach but that didn't matter at all.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
portland,oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Yes,another trip at the Royal Grove! We stayed 9 days and had a great time. To those of you who have never stayed here this is what you are getting....2 blocks away from the beach,a kitchen with everything you need(you provide the food and drinks), right there you are saving tons of $$ which can be spent on other things like the Aloha Stadium flea market,they always have sand chairs,floaties,and other water toys to use all the time-More$$ saved..a small but fun pool with chairs and tables to set at.when you are in the pool area you forget there are tourists by the hundreds and lots of car noise outside of the place.The people at the desk are very friendly and helpful..I stayed at other Big name hotels there and will always go back to the Royal Grove.It is like being in Hawaii in the 50's when you stay there-but thats what we like.I always feel like Ohana when I am there and get sad when we have to leave. Next trip will be for months instead of days.Check them out..Oh and someone put in their review it was noisey..well you are right downtown in a busy city so yes it is going to be..if it is quiet you need-Makaha is for you.

Room Tip: ask for rm. 421 or 321 if there are more than 3 or 4 of you..amazing room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Delaware, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I am amazed by the positves expressed by travelers on this hotel. There are NO customer service skills by the clerks or anyone else. The air conditioner in our room was non functioning. They gave us a SMALL fan to place beside our bed. Every time we had small requests or had interaction, it was a unfriendly tone, unsmiling experience. Nothing even close to unreasonable requests-- We asked where the best location and bus would be to go to Chinatown. The male desk clerk gave a quick point to the back wall and said, " out that direction". We asked if they has a safety pin, they gave us a tiny little pin. We just avoided communication as much as possible after that.

The swimming pool experience was very poor. They were doing maintenance and construction work the entire week, so we sat around the pool listening to pounding nails and drills loudly buzzing for hours. Does that sound like a peaceful experience for a vacation? The computer situation was a joke. $1 for 10 minutes on a old computer that kept crashing and slow to respond. By the time you got to the site you wanted, the 10 minutes was over. And they have a dirty little sign written in crayon that reads, "Don't try to sneak on the computer with out paying. We SEE everything you do" How would that make you feel regarding hotel customer service and feeling at home? The sign was a synopsis for the entire hotel and staff: petty, dirty, unprofessional, and leaves you with a bad feeling and experience. No sense of Aloha whatsoever. Be leery people. Go some where else. This place needs to be shut down and torn down.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Canberra (capital of) Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I still feel this is the best value hotel in Waikiki although I have only actually stayed in one other - the Marriott which is not good value. I had a week at the RGH in a room on the pool side.

The aircon was a new whisper quiet one that disappointed me as previously I used the fan on full to mask outside noise from motor bikes and emergency vehicles and noisy revellers or internal door slammers or any loud noise.

I have written before on hints how best to make use of the full kitchen, such as taking all your basic food stuffs with you and then replacing the weight of those with all the things you buy and bring home. I also take a bit of dish washing liquid etc so that I don't have to waste time buying basics. There are great markets nearby at the Hyatt (Thurs 4-8) and the Kings Market (Mon, Wed and Fri 4-8), for fruit and other things. The Hyatt especially has some lovely take away food.

TheBus stops really close to the hotel.

The only complaint I can make this time is that the exceedingly elderly Panasonic TV was impossible to watch. I hope they invest in some new TVs before my next visit.

On my last 2 visits both times they have allowed me to have a very early check in for which I was very grateful.

Room Tip: Pool side a bit quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Royal Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!