“Super location, friendly staff & great value for money!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Royal Grove Hotel
You added Royal Grove Hotel to your Saves list
151 Uluniu Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #33 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Perth, Australia
“Super location, friendly staff & great value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at he Royal Grove Hotel in Waikiki in late October 2012. Our decision was based on the many glowing reviews on TripAdvisor & elsewhere, and we were not disappointed.

From our first contact by email, the staff were very friendly & welcoming, and they remained so throughout our stay. I made a mistake in my booking (had the dates wrong, having forgotten about the International Date Line), but they were able to give us a room for the first night, and then moved us to another one the next day.

The accommodation as stated in other reviews was a bit "retro", but comfortable & well-equipped for a self-catering room. The pool was a nice treat, and the wifi access in the lobby & breezeway was very handy. The location was only a short walk to the beach & all the popular Waikiki spots.

From the moment we checked in, we could tell that many "regulars" stayed there & had been doing so for some time. That's always a sign of a good place.

What impressed us ore than anything was the care and common sense displayed by the staff during the tsunami scare that occurred during our stay. They were quick to relocate all the guests to the 4th & 5th floors during the warning period, and kept everyone well informed of the situation at all times. Throughout this, they remained calm & kept the rest of us from worrying too much. Thankfully the tsunami was a non-event, but the staff were very organised & reassuring throughout.

We would happily stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The street noise was horrible, really loud, night and day. There was no way to stop the sound of buses, trucks, cars, sirens. I couldn't understand why the street noise from Uluniu Ave and Kuhio Street were bouncing through the room on both sides.

The room itself was tiny but clean and ok for the price. It had no lanai or air conditioning, so a fan would be welcome. A square table for two would fit into the room much better and an inexpensive lamp would be nice.

Thanksgiving Pot luck dinner was enjoyable, the band was great and the dancing lovely - Mahalo.

I would stay here again but never in the old section, it's too damn noisy.

Room Tip: Room 422 is horribly noisey
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

It is an older building, but what do you expect in Hawaii without paying ridiculous resort $$$.

2 double bed (which we pushed together), kitchenette, bathroom, with microwave, but no ac (which we didn't mind because its was October so it wasn't hot at all).

The staff was very friendly, we had little interaction as we knew where we needed to go. The pool is nice if you don't want to walk the block to Waikiki Beach ( such a plus ).

The hotel was close to a lot of things. There is a convinient store (ABC Store), a couple of tiny restaurants within the same block and some fancy restaurants within walking distance. Lots of stores to go to, there They also saved us $$ by pointing to a low cost parking garage about 2 blocks from the hotel. Now its clear why they have so much returning business.

It was a little noisy, but we didn't mind as the ended we were so tired to notice.

If you plan to spend a lot of time NOT in your hotel room. This is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Uusikaarlepyy, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here for nine nights in september. Booked my room online, needed to make a change this was easy to do by phone with no hassel.
I arrived around 8pm and the hotel. First Impression old but safe and clean.
Room was really big for the price I paid 64.29 usd a night for a dubble bed, even had an extra bed also. 501 located on the 5th floor. It was hot in the room and AC was working but made a heck of a noise. Well tierd after 14 hour flight from YYZ i fell asleep. Next morning I woke up and had a nice swim. During this time I put on the AC at max. speed. Well when I got back to my room 1h later i noticed carpet was wet. The AC had broken down. Well No worries, went to speak with the nice lady In desk. She offerd me another room, wich I kindly declined cus I really liked room othervise. So Instead they gave ma a rough 50usd discount for the incident and a big fan wich more then enough keep room cold during next night. Day after the came and Installed a New AC that worked without problems druing the rest of my stay.

So why would I give this Hotel a 4 star rating all this said:
Well: The location is exellent. 200m or about 1 block from downtown Waikiki.
From my room I could even see the ocean. Nice to sit out on the Balcony and eat some fresh fruits from the farmers market closeby watching the sun rise over Waikiki.

The staff at the hotel is just so lovley. The made me feel like this was my second home.
Always ready and eager to help make plans for every day. Nice to have a chat late at night.

The cosy lobby is a great place to meet fellow travelers from all over the world. I even met some pep from Norway. (I live in Norway at the moment).

The Value for money is unbeatable. Most hotels in same area will set you back much much more.

In Total I paid 647usd incl tax. for my nine nights (after the discount and some other smaller changes).

This hotel is a great place to stay for anybody who really dont think they can afford an holliday In Hawaii. Well you are wrong. With some planning you can. Lots of good flighdeals from Mainland USA and Canada. BA also has a direct line from LHR with fuel stop in LAX. The price I found cheapest on this was just around 800 usd returnfare.

It's a bit rundown but the value is still so good that I would use this hotel again and would not hesitate to bring my family over also!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up or located towards the pool area. it does get a bit noisy in the Mornings but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Lilienthal, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Royal Grove so much we booked it again upon checking out. The hotel is in a very convenient location just 2 blocks from the beach. If that's too far for you, there's also a small pool. There are convenience stores located right next to the hotel and just across the street. The rooms are clean, though the furniture isn't very modern, but that's what makes to hotel so nice. It's not up to date, but has a lot of flair you don't find too often any more. The staff is very friendly, a broken fridge in our room was replaced the same day. We'll stay there again, if we come back to Waikiki!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you are looking for a resort, this is not it. But if you are looking for a comfortable place that is close to the beach because you just want to go surfing and listen to music then this is a great. It is like old Hawaii. I almost don't want it to become too popular because then it might change. I really enjoyed my time here. If you stay, try not to get a room facing the street.

Room Tip: try to ge a pool view..not on the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
portland,oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just got back from another stay at the Royal Grove..Stayed in room #421 and it was huge. It's like a apartment-1 twin,1 double in a room and a king in another room, full kitchen,big bathroom and a living room and a dining area. Will always ask for that room when we return. No AC but pleanty of fans and windows-we really weren't in the room that long so it was all good. What can I say-Monday night they had live music down by the pool with guests setting in-2 hula dancers, it was better than going to a luau -they really make you feel like Ohana. They people that work there are friendly and very helpful.You are close to the bus,stores for snacks,and best of all about 2 blocks from the Duke statue..The price is very good so if your going there make sure you stay here,you won't be disappointed! Mahalo Royal Grove for a wonderful stay........The Reid Family

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!