“Superb Value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Royal Grove Hotel
You added Royal Grove Hotel to your Saves list
151 Uluniu Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Karis, Finland
“Superb Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here for nine nights in september. Booked my room online, needed to make a change this was easy to do by phone with no hassel.
I arrived around 8pm and the hotel. First Impression old but safe and clean.
Room was really big for the price I paid 64.29 usd a night for a dubble bed, even had an extra bed also. 501 located on the 5th floor. It was hot in the room and AC was working but made a heck of a noise. Well tierd after 14 hour flight from YYZ i fell asleep. Next morning I woke up and had a nice swim. During this time I put on the AC at max. speed. Well when I got back to my room 1h later i noticed carpet was wet. The AC had broken down. Well No worries, went to speak with the nice lady In desk. She offerd me another room, wich I kindly declined cus I really liked room othervise. So Instead they gave ma a rough 50usd discount for the incident and a big fan wich more then enough keep room cold during next night. Day after the came and Installed a New AC that worked without problems druing the rest of my stay.

So why would I give this Hotel a 4 star rating all this said:
Well: The location is exellent. 200m or about 1 block from downtown Waikiki.
From my room I could even see the ocean. Nice to sit out on the Balcony and eat some fresh fruits from the farmers market closeby watching the sun rise over Waikiki.

The staff at the hotel is just so lovley. The made me feel like this was my second home.
Always ready and eager to help make plans for every day. Nice to have a chat late at night.

The cosy lobby is a great place to meet fellow travelers from all over the world. I even met some pep from Norway. (I live in Norway at the moment).

The Value for money is unbeatable. Most hotels in same area will set you back much much more.

In Total I paid 647usd incl tax. for my nine nights (after the discount and some other smaller changes).

This hotel is a great place to stay for anybody who really dont think they can afford an holliday In Hawaii. Well you are wrong. With some planning you can. Lots of good flighdeals from Mainland USA and Canada. BA also has a direct line from LHR with fuel stop in LAX. The price I found cheapest on this was just around 800 usd returnfare.

It's a bit rundown but the value is still so good that I would use this hotel again and would not hesitate to bring my family over also!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up or located towards the pool area. it does get a bit noisy in the Mornings but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lilienthal, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Royal Grove so much we booked it again upon checking out. The hotel is in a very convenient location just 2 blocks from the beach. If that's too far for you, there's also a small pool. There are convenience stores located right next to the hotel and just across the street. The rooms are clean, though the furniture isn't very modern, but that's what makes to hotel so nice. It's not up to date, but has a lot of flair you don't find too often any more. The staff is very friendly, a broken fridge in our room was replaced the same day. We'll stay there again, if we come back to Waikiki!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you are looking for a resort, this is not it. But if you are looking for a comfortable place that is close to the beach because you just want to go surfing and listen to music then this is a great. It is like old Hawaii. I almost don't want it to become too popular because then it might change. I really enjoyed my time here. If you stay, try not to get a room facing the street.

Room Tip: try to ge a pool view..not on the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
portland,oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just got back from another stay at the Royal Grove..Stayed in room #421 and it was huge. It's like a apartment-1 twin,1 double in a room and a king in another room, full kitchen,big bathroom and a living room and a dining area. Will always ask for that room when we return. No AC but pleanty of fans and windows-we really weren't in the room that long so it was all good. What can I say-Monday night they had live music down by the pool with guests setting in-2 hula dancers, it was better than going to a luau -they really make you feel like Ohana. They people that work there are friendly and very helpful.You are close to the bus,stores for snacks,and best of all about 2 blocks from the Duke statue..The price is very good so if your going there make sure you stay here,you won't be disappointed! Mahalo Royal Grove for a wonderful stay........The Reid Family

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was our second stay (the first one was 5 years ago). The hotel looks more or less same. It is a walking distance to the famous beach. The rooms are spacious with mini kitchenette and a fridge. We stayed from Sept 20 to 27th. The staff are friendly. There is a wifi on the main floor.

We were allowed a late check-out at no charge as our room was booked to be rented that day. it was helpful as our flight was around 11pm.

New air conditioners would help.

Room Tip: Higher level floor with a Lanai would be preferred. It is not noisy on this street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We love this place! The staff and all the occupants make us feel the "aloha" of Hawaii. The clean rooms have anything you need for a comfortable stay. Fully equipped kitchenettes- (Hit the grocery store first so you can just enjoy the ambience to wander all over Waikiki.) Usually 2 beds- 1 a full size the other a twin. Rooms have balconies- some overlook the pool and are quieter- the others look down Ulunio St and to the water, and all the activity near the Duke's statue.
It fits like a comfortable shoe- a bit worn and scuffed, but ends up being your favorite!
If you demand High class- go elsewhere.
If you'd rather make friends and join in on a Hawaiian jam session and hula with the locals, then this is the place :)

• Stayed October 2012
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We just returned from 2.5 weeks at this charming hotel. Room 604 had a balcony and every morning we had cofee out there and looked down the street to Waikiki beach and all the folks walking down the road with the surfboards on their heads.
This room had a kitchenette,which allowed us to make our own breakfasts each morning,a big saving. We chose to eat lunch and supper out,but you could save even more if you ate in.
The pool and lobby are warm and inviting,with many interesting guests to meet.People congregated here,for the internet access. Monday nights are the social nights with a group playing music and learning to dance and hula-what a blast!
The laundromat on site was a huge bonus,as it was so convenient!
The front desk staff are always friendly and accomodating,always ready to answer our questions and give us directions.The safety deposit boxes(for free) are a super deal!
This place is so incerdibly reasonable,amazing since you are a 2 minute walk to the hub of Waikiki beach-LOVE IT! It is clean,safe and an incredible deal! Highly recommend it!!!!!

Room Tip: I loved the side facing the street,so we could look down and see waikiki beach.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!