“Exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Royal Grove Hotel
151 Uluniu Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #37 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Denver, Colorado
“Exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The hotel was clean, comfortable, spacious for the location and amazing affordable. We stayed in a two-room suite with a full-size bed and two twin beds. Exactly what we needed. We intend to stay at the Royal Grove for any future visits to Honolulu.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Victoria, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I've been staying here on & off every year for the last 40 years & have watched the hotel become a home & guests become family over time. You get what you pay for & the RGH is central to Waikiki entertainment. A block or so to the beach & surfing, snorkelling & markets. It's not for everyone but then neither is Hawaii so stay home & be miserable. Mahalo!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Matlock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Great location, clean room at a reasonable price, and helpful staff that see more than dollar signs when talking with. Many of the people we met at the hotel, have been returning year after year, for many years.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Camrose, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Once again, I cannot say enough good things about my positive experiences at this hotel. I just returned after visiting from Novemeber 16th to December 1st. The lovely Thanksgiving potluck dinner, hosted by the Fong family, was a great opportunity to reconnect with other repeat visitors, along with meeting visitors new to the "Grove experience". I have always found the staff to be friendly, respectful and helpful . . .I visit here twice a year, for two and three weeks at a time. I am so looking forward to returning in April 2012.
Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) to the Ohana (family) at the Royal Grove.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, do attempt to book a poolside room as it is fairly busy and noisy street...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Nanaimo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I went with no expectations but was totally shocked by how little we had to spend to be half-a-block from the beach in clean comfortable surroundings. I especially liked the well-stocked library and inadvertently left a library book from the Vancouver Island library there, which I hopefully will pick up and return for my $8 when we return in January.

I enjoyed the pool and being handicapped, I especially enjoyed our suite on the ground floor. We do not live in the lap of luxury so everything was fine.

Our highlight of our two week stay, including a week long cruise to four Hawaiian Islands, was the jam-fest at the Royal Grove on Monday nights. We were serenaded for a good two hours, with mostly Hawaiian music. It was marvelous!

We are returning again in January.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Avoid this place at any cost. Not worth the cheap price. I booked a room months in advance which was for a queen bed and a/c. When I checked in, I was told my reservation was for two single beds and not a queen, but they would upgrade me to a room with a double-bed and balcony for no extra cost. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but I at least expected the room to be clean and not run down. The balcony was covered in pigeon poop and the "a/c" was nothing more than a sad looking box fan in the corner of the room. The main lighting was a single, bare florescent light bulb in the middle of the ceiling. The hotel website also boasted a parking lot nearby. The parking lot was 4 blocks away at the Waikiki Banyan. That's not nearby. Despite all these displeasing things, I decided to stay since I didn't want to spend my precious vacation time booking a room at a different hotel last minute and paying an arm and a leg for last minute bookings. I figured that I would only be sleeping and showering at the hotel and not spending a lot of time there. Big mistake.

My 4th night there, I come back to the hotel around the usual time of after midnight to find the doors locked to the lobby and the lights off. I didn't have this issue the 3 previous nights, so it took me by surprise. The night auditor came to the door and was instantly confrontational. I asked why the door was locked and he said those were the rules. I informed him that they weren't locked for the last 3 nights and he started yelling that if I didn't like it, I should have gone to the Hyatt. He continued yelling at us all the way to the elevator and when I mentioned that he was being cocky for no reason, he started yelling that if I wanted good customer service, I should have gone to the Hyatt and that I can just get out and go somewhere else. Mind you, this was around 1am. His behavior was threatening and unprofessional. I took his remarks to mean that I didn't deserve good customer service because I didn't pay more for a hotel room and he kick me out in the middle of the night if I didn't like it.

As soon as I got to my room, I spent two hours searching for a hotel that could accommodate me with a room on the fly. The next morning I went to the desk to check out from this dump. The clerk said that the night auditor accused me of swearing at him for the doors being locked. As I tried to explain to her what really happened, she picked up the phone and pretended to make a call. During her fake call, she printed up the check out bill and ran my card. I commented that I shouldn't have to pay for the day of check out since it was the night auditor's behavior that made me check out early. She just gave me a blank look and an insincere half-baked apology for what had happened.

When I got back home, I filed a complaint with the BBB. That was a waste of time. The hotel manager's response was drivel. He even proved himself a liar by stating that it was a matter of fact that the parking lot was 2 blocks away. Any paper map or even Google Maps will show that the Waikiki Banyan is 4 blocks away. You go a 1/2 block NE on Uluniu Ave to Kuhio Ave, then 3 1/2 blocks E to the Waikiki Banyan. He claimed that the doors are locked for security measure. Bull! The night auditor didn't even check if we were actual guests of the hotel before letting us in. And how is turning off the lights part of security measures? Plus, if you're going to lock the doors, someone should have mentioned that at check in or at least post a note on the door. I've stayed at a lot of hotels in Waikiki over the years and NONE of them lock their lobby doors. I was under the belief that I was staying in a hotel, not a dorm!

I was born and raised in Honolulu and the Royal Grove is shameful. No aloha whatsoever. This experience definitely marred my vacation.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Mesa, Az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have stayed here during many trips to Honolulu at least 6 times. I try to go twice a year. Very few local places left, especially close to the beach. Don't give me a 4-5 star hotel when I'm there. I want the true feel, smell and experience of the Island. I've gone alone and occasionally brought my spouse. Very safe, clean, friendly, with full kitchens, bus stop across the street, shopping...anything you could want. I stay at least 2 weeks each time and love every second. The staff is absolutely the best!!!

Room Tip: Every room is alike with 1 double and 1 single bed. Very clean and well equiped. Close to everything...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Royal Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!