“Excellent views and location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Kapahulu Avenue, Waikiki, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #53 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent views and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Expensive, however we had an amazing view of Diamond Head. This was ideal to relax with a drink on the balcony. The pool was almost unsuitable, mainly due to the cold period Hawaii experienced. Very few pools here are heated. It made us look for the next hotel with a hot tub. Not that this is any fault to this hotel. I found that the pool closed too early.
cons
- A/C was old and very noisy,
- Carpet was stained
- Out-dated room
- Pool was too cold, however exceptionally cold period for Hawaii.
Pros
- Bar near pool
- Location
- Balcony

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments.It wonderful to hear that you had a amazing view of Diamond Head from your room...and to enjoy the view with a drink on the balcony is the ideal way to relax. We do agree that the location is ideal, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach with beautiful Kapiolani Park right across the street.

In regards to the A/C, we are in the process of replacing the window units with a split system, which is more efficient and quiet. This project will be completed by the end of March 2014. We are continually improving the rooms and the vanity sink and bathtub are being refinished with new vanity lighting, which will greatly improve the bathroom experience.

We believe that upon your return visit, you will notice many new improvements that will make your stay more enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to give me a call, if I may be of assistance in booking your reservation.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
Mill Creek, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My senior mom and I enjoyed several wonderful days at the Queen Kapiolani on two trips (we stopped over in Honolulu between a longer flight). The Honolulu zoo is across the street (about 1 block walk) and the beaches are close too (1 to 2 blocks). They have a great pool and bar, and the staff are wonderful for anything you might need. Keala was exceptionally kind when we first arrived and helped calm my frazzled mom with her professional yet friendly manner-and remembered us when we returned-amazing! Eilene's interest in our day and positive reply to my artwork won my heart, and the reservation manager was incredible and kindly helped us with an error I'd made while booking online. Stanson, one of the hotel busboys made a point to remember my name, and details about each of our interactions, as did the others too! Thank you all very much for helping my Mom (and me!) have a great time in Waikiki!. In our book, this hotel is an "oldie but goodie!" Aloha and Mahalo! :)

Room Tip: Some rooms seem to have more wear and tear. If having the room look newer is important to you, ask w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. It was so great to hear that the staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We are very proud of our staff and their ability to share "aloha" with our visitors.

We do agree that the location is great, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach,
across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with amazing Diamond Head in the background.

Thank you for referring to us as the oldie but goodie and if I may be of assitance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and were happy with most things. The location is great, just a half a block from the beach and about 2 blocks from all the craziness on the main strip. The view from the pool is unreal, and the pool area itself is clean and comfortable. Unfortunately there were some times with many children running and playing in the pool with tonnes of snorkelling equipment and floaty toys (even though it says that you cannot have these in the pool), but not a huge deal. Lots of great lounging areas and chairs around the pool along with a seating area and bar under a roof for some shade. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself was clean and I enjoyed the jugs of iced water in the lobby area. I had read some reviews that talked about homeless people outside of the hotel - there are lots of them, mostly across the street sleeping in the bus shelter, but they keep to themselves. There are also some that sleep on the side walks on the main strip - again, they keep to themselves. One thing that we didn't love was the size of our room - it was like a dorm room! I was travelling with a friend, so we had requested two beds, well we got two single beds about a foot apart with just enough room for one suitcase at the foot of one bed and one suitcase in the closet. We joked that we were given the tiny room because we booked the hotel through a travel website. The room was even off in it's own area without any other rooms around it - it was like the reject room! But really, we were only there to sleep so it wasn't a huge deal in the end, it became more comical than anything. The air conditioning unit in our room was super high up, I'm not the tallest person but there was no way that I could reach it. My friend, who is about 5 '10, could just reach the buttons! We scoured the room for a remote for the unit but couldn't find one. I'm thankful that my friend had some height, otherwise we would have baked over night (we did leave the unit off one night and the humidity was unbearable by the morning).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we certainly do agree that it is a great location - minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach and craziness of the main strip, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park and amazing Diamond Head in the background. The bonus is that this can be enjoyed from our 3rd floor pool deck.

It was wonderful to hear that you found the staff very helpful and friendly, the hotel itself was clean with refreshing iced water next to the Front Desk.

In regards to the room size, we do offer larger accommodations and would be glad to assist you on your next visit. As for the A/C, we are in the process of replacing the window unit with a split system by March 2014, which will be more efficient and quieter.

Again, please give me a call if I may be of assistance during your next visit.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at the Queen K for two weeks in January, 2014 and enjoyed myself immensely! Rooms are very nice and kept clean daily. Every hotel staff that we encountered helped us with any questions we may have had. A plus would be laundry facilities on site and room refrigerators, air conditioners and a pool! When I come back to Honolulu, I'll stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are so glad that you were surprised and that you enjoyed yourself immensely. That you found the rooms very nice and kept clean daily.

What was music to our ears was that every hotel staff you encountered helped you with any question you had. We are very proud of our employees and the "aloha" they share. We are glad that the on site laundry facilty was a plus as well as the room refrig, A/C and pool.

Please give me a call if I may be of assistance during your next visit to our beautiful island!

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Hotel is dated. We did not get the room we booked, after speaking with the desk, it was changed, still not correct but was better. They said we did not specify king bed. Which was not true, I heard them tell my son the same thing. We were suppose to have ocean view, which we did I guess if you look around the other hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful.
Room was clean and the bed was comfortable(1010), which was good. We did not get much sleep though, thanks to the bar in the next hotel, the hostels down the alley, the construction next door and the garbage pick up which usually sarted at 5am.
The area smelled of pot but nobody bothered you. The park and beach is close so that is a bonus.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we certainly do appreciate your comments. We are glad that the Front Desk was able to change your room which was better and that you found the room clean and comfortable. In regards to your bedding request, we certainly do apologize, but due to many request, are not able to guarantee all bedding request.

For your information, we are working with our neighbors to control the noise and the garbage company to pick up at a later time. As you mentioned, the location is definitely a bonus, with world famous Waikiki Beach just minutes away and beautiful Kapiolani Park right across the street with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

If I may be of assistance, during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Love the location, love the ocean view and diamond head view from our room 1810~!! That's 18th floor~!! The lani view made me wanna just stand there n look at the sky, the diamond head n the sea~!! Chairs were provided in the lani. Wish we could stay longer~!! I miss everything in hawaii but not the rain~!!

Stayed February 2014
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. It was wonderful to hear that you loved the location, the ocean view, the Diamond Head view from your room for that is what paradise is...seeing all this from your lanai day after day.

It was heartwarming to hear that you had a amazing stay and if I may be of assistance in booking your next stay, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Comox, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed in the Junior Suite which had amazing views of Diamond Head and the beach.
Loved the location because it overlooked the zoo and so we didn't have our views blocked by
other hotels. Half a block from the beach and everything you could want within walking distance. (Love those ABC stores on every block. )
The restaurant had really good food. We loved the breakfast burritos and you have to try the chicken teriyaki (We had it twice - it was that good).
The hotel was a bit noisy at night but it was on a main street so what can you expect. It's not
the hotel's fault that there were people wandering around after the bars closed, drunk and
shouting. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room was cleaned very well. The actual room was a bit tired looking but overall, it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Corner Junior Suite wonderful
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We agree that we have a great location and that you had amazing views of Diamond Head and the beach from your room was truly heartwarming because that is what paradise is all about. Not to mention the Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park being right across the street, and world famous Waikiki Beach just minutes away.

It was wonderful to hear that you found the bed and pillows very comfortable and that the room was cleaned very well. For your information we are continually upgrading our product, so upon your next visit, you will experience new amenities.

If I may be of assistance in making your next booking, please do not hesitate to give me a call.