“an upgrade helped enormously” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #53 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Island of Hawaii
“an upgrade helped enormously”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We booked this hotel through Expedia, and our room turned out to be room 1621 - perhaps the tiniest hotel room you could imagine. I would hit my head on the mounted tv as I struggled to find a spot for my one piece of luggage. My husband thought it had been a maid's room that they'd opened up to the public. The double bed took up the lion's share of the floor, and the bathroom could only accommodate one person at a time. We spent one night squeezed together like the Bob Marley song goes... 'we'll share the shelter, of my single bed" ... which might have been better if we were teenagers. My husband jokingly mentioned it to the front desk, and we immediately got an upgrade to a larger corner room on the 6th floor. ( my husband went out and bought her a mocha latte from Starbucks ) We could breathe! and nice views of the glittering Waikiki high rise condos. I slept well.
Our only other complaint was the S L O W and consequently, overcrowded elevators. It was a running joke to see the newcomers try pushing the non-working 'close door' button, as our ambling box made so many frequent floor stops. There were three elevators, but it seemed that only one was working on a particular day.
The parking below the hotel is run by a separate company and was $15 for each 24 hours. The best feature of the Queen Kapiolani, in my opinion, is the location across from the zoo. I like being on the far end of Waikiki. I would stay there again if I could be sure to have that corner room on the 6th floor.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

732 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
whistler
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Queen Kap several times in the past 20 years, but my recent trip convinced me that I'm done with her. The lobby and partial room facelifts are not enough to compensate for the no-Aloha desk staff, the shabby condition of so much of the interior of the rooms (and I had a supposedly deluxe corner unit), the carpet which made me afraid to walk barefoot in my room, the rotting rattan, the non-functioning lighting, the elevator waits, the noisy nights, the mediocre food. If the room rates had seemed reasonable for what was offered, I'd have shrugged it off, but they aren't. Waikiki has much better value if you do some research and be prepared to move when you find it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Kawika was great host and Aloha Spirit that was awesome, I had one of the best time at the hotel, Great Rooms,best location and clean. Great staff, excellentstaff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vidal Junction, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel now three times in 2 years. Merl always ensures our reservation is in order ahead of time. Kawika has always met us when we arrive and places our bags on the luggage cart. Jocelyn efficiently checks us in and issues our breakfast tickets. Len worked with Merl to ensure our favorite room was ready for us and escorted us to the room. The breakfast every morning on the pool terrace is always delicious and with friendly service from Debbie and her staff. The view of Diamond Head from this breakfast terrace is awesome, the best view of any hotel on the Waikiki strip. Ron the hotel General Manager always makes and effort to greet us and to ensure our needs are met. We live and work in Japan, and being able to stop at "The Queen" for 3-5 days before returning to the grind of business in Japan is a refreshing experience. The view of the Honolulu Zoo is great, you can see the elephants in the new savanna compound which was recently opened and now allows more room for the animals to roam. The hotel is close to the Waikiki Trolley stops giving you access to the sites and shopping areas. We have stayed at every major hotel in Waikiki over the last 40 years, and the Queen Kapiolani is now our home away from home when in Hawaii.

Room Tip: Room 1910 and 1914 are the best rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My friend and I went to Waikiki in December and were looking for affordable places to stay. Queen Kap came up for a great price and the website looked nice too. I was surprised at how nice the place was for the price. We were on the 15th floor and had an AMAZING view of the ocean. The rooms were a bit small but you're never really in the room but they were also clean and up to date. Everyone was very friendly and the location is perfect. Honolulu zoo across the street, 1 minute walk to the beach, a few building down is Lulu's (fantastic bar and food), and the pool faces Diamond head which is gorgeous! I plan on going back to Hawaii in the next few months and will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Deltona, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We booked this hotel a year before our vacation and I was ready to cancel and lose our money when I read about the bed bug problems people complained about two months before our stay (never read reviews after you booked). I worried for nothing. The hotel was beautiful, rooms were clean, and staff was very friendly. We got a room on the 11th floor viewing the city, the apartment buildings across from us still had christmas decorations on most of the blaconies which was nice to see. The only complaint I have is that the door to the connection room is very thin and we could hear everything. The people in the room were partyers that got back to the room at 1am and were up until about 5am (keeping us up, too). We only stayed two days so dealt with it but mentioned the problem during check out wanting to know what we could've done. If this happens to you, you can call the front desk and they actually have a security guard that takes care of the problem.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Queen/Double bed room that was reserved was not available, so I got a tiny room with two twin beds. Could not find the light switch when I walkied in (later found it in the closet) and the fluorescent lights in the bathroom were not operating properly so I had only dim light there. On the positive side, the room had a great view of the beach. I chose this hotel for its good location on the far east (Diamond Head) side of Waikiki which tends to be quieter. However, i would probably look for a diffferent placet to stay next time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Queen Kapiolani Hotel? Share your experiences!