“I would never stay at his hotel again!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #50 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“I would never stay at his hotel again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

When I checked into the Queen Kapiolani Hotel I nearly tripped over the metal frame of the tiny twin bed in the very tiny claustrophobic room we were given on the 5th floor. When I called the front desk to complain, I was told that the Hotel was fully booked and they could do nothing, except send in housekeeping to fix the bed frame. When I asked for the manager I was told there was no manager on duty! What kind of hotel has no night manager??!! I called the front desk a second time and spoke to Len, another employee who was very helpful and was able to move my husband and me to a better room. Len deserves a job promotion and a big raise for listening to the customer!
Thanks, Len!

A frustrated customer, who had to fight for proper treatment and better service at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel.
Word of advice to the owner/management: Get a night manager to service your guests!

Kamla Koch

• Stayed December 2011
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Aloha,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the reception you received upon check in. What you experienced was not acceptable and we are very happy to hear that Len at the Front Desk listened to your concerns and was very helpful in fulfilling your request.

We do want to thank you for sharing your experiences, because when we realize our short-
comings, we are able to improve in providing a positive guest experience.

Again, we are truly sorry and would like the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Could
you please email me at rkikumoto@queenkapiolani.com so that I may further research your experiences and assist in your next stay.

Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I was on the 16th floor...the elevators were a bit slow but not excessively so. The fit & finish of the hotel was worn (carpets, etc) and the alcoves that could have been small shops in the lobby were all closed so the hotel wasn't too bumpin' -- but that said, it was very close to the beach, the Zoo is across the street if you have kids, and it's a short walk into the heart of Waikiki. This was a good 3-day stopover hotel before I flew to Kauai for a week.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic, as is Honolulu, I've never been anywhere so clean, everybody in the hotel are so helpful, great pool, shuttle buses organised for you, amazing views from the balcony, the zoo, diamond head, so much to do at this fascinating destination.

• Stayed November 2011
Ukiah, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

First off, I would like to say that I chose this hotel for its location. It was close to a friend that recently moved to Honolulu so it was convient. My two friends and I booked two rooms, one with two beds (don't think they were queen size though) and one with a king size bed. When we got there, the double room had no space to manuver our suitcases nor did it have enough space for two people to walk between the end of the bed and the wall. The bathroom was in need of a new paint job as was the rest of the room. The half sized mini refridgerator was plugged in but didn't keep anything cold. The air conditioner was right below the window (nice view of the Pacific) and didn't work half the time. It was also so close to the bed that no air could circulate around the room. Oh wait! The television was great! A nice 42" HD tv with about 12 channels, sitting on the dresser facing the side of the bed. (I like to fall asleep with the tv on). We asked for an upgrade but were denied.

We asked for room service and got it but since I slept on top of the covers, my sheets were never changed. I couldn't get anyone to come up and change them either! I noticed that I had bites of some kind on my legs and arms. I didn't think too much about it until I saw a tiny bug crawling on my pillow. I flicked it and killed it but the damage was already done. When I got home, the bites got worse. I looked up "bed bugs" on the internet and lo and behold, I have brought bed bugs back to my house!!!

I would never recommend anyone to stay in this hotel!!! I thought the pictures on their website were great and was excited to be staying so close to our friend. Little did I know that I would be bringing guests home with me too!

Room Tip: choose another room in another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Aloha!

First of all, I would like to Thank You for choosing the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. As you mentioned we have great location, on one side, the world famous Waikiki Beach and the Waikiki shopping and dining experience. The other side showcases beautiful Kapiolani Park, the Honolulu Zoo and Honolulu Aquarium.

We certainly want to apologize for any inconveniece that you experienced during your stay and if we were aware of your situation regarding bugs, we would have certainly addressed your concerns and moved you immediately to another room. We have procedures in place to address these type of issues and work very closely with a pest control company that is nationally recognized.

Again, please accept our most humble apologies regarding this matter and ask that you contact me personally at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, so that I may research your experiences
further.

Mahalo!
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We had booked 4 moderate hotel rooms, for 5 nights. When my fiance and I arrived in the room after checking in I almost cried. It was incredibly small. So small I could not wheel the suitcase down beside the bed. The bed was so small I don't even think it was a double bed.

I returned to the reception desk and asked if a bigger room was available. I was told I could upgrade for $10 a night. I took the new room, and it was about 3 times the size. It had a king size bed, a large bathroom, a work desk and a round table with 2 chairs. It also had a small balcony. I was delighted. It was well worth the $10 extra.

I then called my parents, and they too had a postage stamp size room. I told them to go ask for a upgrade which they paid for and got. Interestingly, my fiance's parents had received a room identical to the one we had paid to upgrade to as their original room. I found this odd, as I booked and paid for all the rooms myself, at the same time. But I did not make an issue of it as the $50 was money well spent in my eyes.

The hotel itself is nice. It is not overly fancy, but for under $100 a night I don;t expect fancy. The pool deck was nice and clean, although the water was cold in the pool as it was quite windy. The breakfast buffet on the pool deck had a good variety of food available, and the bar tenders, and the singers at night at the bar were lovely and friendly. The hotel is under renovation at the moment, so the aircon in the halls was turned off, but the room air con was very effective.

The rooms were clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size, and the shower was always hot, and the water pressure was good.

I like the location of the hotel is good. With the air con on at night I did not hear traffic noise. We were within walking distance of the shops and waikiki beach. The bus stop is also at the door of the hotel to take you all over the island.

Overall I enjoyed our stay at the Queen. The staff are polite and friendly, it is clean and comfortable, and the location is good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This place has a great location (2 blocks to the beach) and is cheaper than many other places in Waikiki. These are the main two reasons we chose to stay here.

We had seen some negative reviews but took a chance and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is still being renovated but the lobby and pool area are really nice and our room was well maintained and clean. Our room was showing some age, but they were minor items and did not detract from our stay. The view of Diamond Head from our room was amazing! It was really breathtaking the first time we saw it and was wonderful to wake up to the view each morning. The room also had a refrigerator which was great so we could eat breakfast in the room and bring back leftovers from restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful and even went so far as to heat up some of our leftovers one night.

I would recommend staying here and if they keep renovating things the place will get even better.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Diamond Head. It is amazing to wake up to that sight every morning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lakewood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is undergoing a badly needed remodeling. The bathtub had chiping paint, coroded fixtures. Furniture is in need of replacement, but the bed was ok. Again you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Queen Kapiolani Hotel? Share your experiences!