“Large room, few amenities” 3 of 5 stars

Pagoda Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814   |
Ranked #72 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Large room, few amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Pagoda hotel is considered a "local" hotel meaning that many people from the neighboring islands consider it their home away from home. The rooms are clean, large, but spartan. People visiting relatives on Oahu generally stay here. It's near to the Ala Moana Shopping area, Walmart, Don Quijote (a Japanese chain department store) and a host of restaurants in the area. Minuses include only one working elevator (it's been out for about 3 months already), and you have to pay for parking, either in one of their lots or across the street at Ross' parking lot. Staff were attentive and polite and definitely try to work with what shortcomings the property may have. Rates are reasonable considering the cost of hotels in Waikiki, and the beach is not nearby but accessible. Better to have a car if you are staying at this hotel. I have used this hotel several times in the past year.

Room Tip: The hotel is still undergoing some renovation. Ask for higher floors which have been renovated and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Kona19661948,
Thank you for your post! Your comments about our location, staff and clean rooms are very much appreciated. We pride ourselves on catering to kamaʻāina and visitors alike. Since you have stayed several times this year, I hope that you have been able to see the (sometimes slow) improvements that have been in place...ie our brand new elevators, refurbished Tower rooms with flat-screen tvs, microwaves and brand new in-room safes. Since you will probably return soon, we are in the process of upgrading our wifi capabilities to include rooms as well as the lobby. We hope to see you soon so that you can experience these improvements for yourself.
Me Ka Hau'oli,

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Firstly, the reason for our stay in Hawaii was for my parent's 20th anniversary celebration and ceremony. Checking into the hotel went smoothly until we reached our room, we booked the suite that had a king bed and 2 twin beds. The tower they put us in had chained up gates, the slowest elevators ever, and was very run down. The room that we received was even worst! There was such a big gap under the door that COCKROACHES were getting in. We woke up to find roaches all over our belongings and in our kitchen; sink and counters, and we were on the 2nd level of the tower too! When we went to complain about it and to move we found that those room types were only offered in that tower so we accept a SMALLER room in the main hotel. The biggest issue was that there wasn't enough room to accommodate all guests. Since we paid through a 3rd party they weren't able to financially accommodate our stay but did waive our parking fees; 2 vehicles, which we did appreciate but what we really needed was another room so that we didn't have anyone sleeping on the floors but we had to pay for another room! We didn't come on this vacation to try and cause trouble at the hotel and give a hard time or to get anything for free, this trip had become so uncomfortable for my family and especially my parents. It was very hard coming back to the hotel at the end of the day because we were so unhappy. Even after speaking to manager all they could offer was another room in the same tower that we had bug issues (among other issues), a smaller room in a different tower and to waive our parking fees. Even simple requests such as extra towels were a hassle, it would take over 30 minutes each time we requested for any. Now maybe they're understaffed, but when being told they are on their way I would expect them in the next 5-10 minutes, it was just very inconvenient. It's sad to say but I unfortunately would not stay here again, and the main reason being is that these issues were not simple fixes and they were not handled properly; I work for a hotel and the service that was provided does not compare to the service that COULD have been provided.

Room Tip: Higher floors in the main hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Krystle S,
I very much appreciate your comments about the Pagoda Hotel and apologize for the late response. As a recent transfer to the property, all comments are valuable as I endeavor to improve upon guest experience. I apologize that your parents' 20th anniversary had such a 'dark cloud' over it. The Terrace, where your original room was, does have exterior entrances, which sometimes exposes your room to the outside elements. Please know that we do have bi-monthly servicing from our pest eradication experts. Though your experience with the original room was less than satisfactory, I know the Terrace is a necessary part of our property as it does provide guests with kitchenette facilities at a great value. I agree that many of the issues you had are relatively easy fixes and am working with our staff to see that your concerns are not repeated.
Mahalo,
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is an old, dated hotel; it is also an institution among islanders with large families staying in Honolulu. I suppose it is possible to stay in the Waikiki Hotels with 6 family members, but not for less than $200 a night. My daughter stayed in a nice hotel, before we arrived and it was almost $200, just for the 2 of them. So yes, the carpets, bedspreads, and general ambiance is dated, and you pay for WiFI, EVEN IN THE LOBBY but the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, parking is only $10 a day, the location is convenient, and the price is right. I will always stay here while visiting Honolulu.

Room Tip: Across the street from the main building, the Terrace I believe it's called, and where the large...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Miriahm D,
Mahalo for posting your thoughts about Pagoda Hotel! It is always a pleasure to hear about guests who will return and see the value in our property. Being a new transfer to the property, I can honestly report that things are moving in the right direction: we are set to finish refurbishment of the Tower by the end of the year, with the Tower completed, the Terrace elevators are being upgraded with additional safety features, and a continued focus on service has be re-launched. We here at the Pagoda look forward to having you as a guest in the near future.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,
Lanai City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Pagoda for 2 days and encountered a few things that were not up to par. Upon checkin the fridge was not cold/not working. Had to call Front desk to get it replaced with another fridge that worked. The Hotel had 2 elevators but only 1 worked. The other elevator was "Out of Order" which was such a inconvenience, especially when exiting and entering with your luggage. Had to wait a few times for the elevator to return to my floor, as it was full with hotel guests. I had requested a microwave at checkin to be delivered to my room and was told by Housekeeping there weren't any available and I would have it delivered the next day. I never go the microwave. I had to go to the Front desk to heat up my food & beverage. Another inconvenience.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying on the 1st or 2nd floor or next to the elevator. Too noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Aloha Virginia O,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Pagoda Hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and apologize for the late response as I have recently transferred to the property. I take your comments seriously and our team is working on improving response times to all these small issues that definitely add up. Regarding the elevator, I know that we were modernizing the 2nd elevator during your stay and that is why it was out of order. You'll be happy to know that they are both complete and modernization is moving along to the Terrace side of our property. I hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
So Calif
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Pagoda twice within the last month, needing an inexpensive night before catching a flight to Asia. My room was decent. The carpeting was kind of worn in spots. There seemed to be some mildew in the tub/shower. The room's air conditioner is rather noisy and isn't completely sealed so that outside noises were very noticeable. One night they were doing roadwork outside with a jackhammer. Another complaint I have is that they don't seem to have any "real" queen or king size beds. They say there rooms are two queens but the are more like double bed sizes. Also, in two different rooms, both tv's had trouble with the on/off switch on the remote. They have two elevators but both visits only one elevator was working. I guess you can't beat the price and location if you don't need the beach or Waikiki nearby.

Room Tip: Bring flip flops
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Orange County, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

So I would stay here again. But here is what you should know.
Hotel very date. In lobby it says they are under renovations. Probably true since I witnessed them bringing up new matters's to the rooms. But maintenance is an issue. Grounds are full of litter. I watched a staff member clean the parking lot. He sure missed a lot of stuff lol.

Some facts;
One elevator is out if order. Long term guests (I think they live here sinc they say both elevators were out for a week or so and they had to use stairs) (this is a high rise with I think 13 floors). It is a pain waiting on one elevator when all the rooms are sold out. They are packed. Spider webs on light fixtures. With spiders attached. Pool is not heated, about the size of two very large spas. Parking very limited and $10 per night. Our room is strange, it has a sink next to the bed. Trashe scattered in employee only areas. No pride of ownernership. WiFi in lobby $10 per night (I think). I did not try hooking up, just sounded like a problem want to be so I used my phone the entire stay.

Good things.
Close to Walmart and Starbuck an other shopping. The area is hopping at night. Though I think it also gets working girls if you know what I mean (I observed two very nicely dressed laidies negotiating with two men at 6am going to the Starbucks. When I turned around they were all gone. Only one car in the entire street, lol). Water pressure good, water always hot in shower. Priced for room was good about $100 per night. That is about it

Overall I felt safe and had no problems. This is just a place for me to sleep and move on out to other places to enjoy.

Will add a few photos to show you my observations.

• Stayed June 2013
Santa Rosa, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days for Pearl Harbor. Pros... I liked the Kitchenette,(no roaches) everything works and the refrigerator was big, not just your average room cooler. and the rooms were spacious. Excellent location for shopping. Walmart within walking distance, and Walgreens and other food eateries. CONS...Run down. Back Breaker Beds, No pictures, and the bathroom floors buckled, almost cave in, they came in to check, so they knew about the floor in the bathroom when asked to move they said they did not have availability. The way to spot the building is look for the building that has mold on the outside, it is the oldest looking building on the street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pagoda Hotel? Share your experiences!