“Overall Stay Not Pleasant” 3 of 5 stars

Pagoda Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814   |
Ranked #72 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Lanai City
“Overall Stay Not Pleasant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Pagoda for 2 days and encountered a few things that were not up to par. Upon checkin the fridge was not cold/not working. Had to call Front desk to get it replaced with another fridge that worked. The Hotel had 2 elevators but only 1 worked. The other elevator was "Out of Order" which was such a inconvenience, especially when exiting and entering with your luggage. Had to wait a few times for the elevator to return to my floor, as it was full with hotel guests. I had requested a microwave at checkin to be delivered to my room and was told by Housekeeping there weren't any available and I would have it delivered the next day. I never go the microwave. I had to go to the Front desk to heat up my food & beverage. Another inconvenience.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying on the 1st or 2nd floor or next to the elevator. Too noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Aloha Virginia O,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Pagoda Hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and apologize for the late response as I have recently transferred to the property. I take your comments seriously and our team is working on improving response times to all these small issues that definitely add up. Regarding the elevator, I know that we were modernizing the 2nd elevator during your stay and that is why it was out of order. You'll be happy to know that they are both complete and modernization is moving along to the Terrace side of our property. I hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
So Calif
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Pagoda twice within the last month, needing an inexpensive night before catching a flight to Asia. My room was decent. The carpeting was kind of worn in spots. There seemed to be some mildew in the tub/shower. The room's air conditioner is rather noisy and isn't completely sealed so that outside noises were very noticeable. One night they were doing roadwork outside with a jackhammer. Another complaint I have is that they don't seem to have any "real" queen or king size beds. They say there rooms are two queens but the are more like double bed sizes. Also, in two different rooms, both tv's had trouble with the on/off switch on the remote. They have two elevators but both visits only one elevator was working. I guess you can't beat the price and location if you don't need the beach or Waikiki nearby.

Room Tip: Bring flip flops
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Orange County, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

So I would stay here again. But here is what you should know.
Hotel very date. In lobby it says they are under renovations. Probably true since I witnessed them bringing up new matters's to the rooms. But maintenance is an issue. Grounds are full of litter. I watched a staff member clean the parking lot. He sure missed a lot of stuff lol.

Some facts;
One elevator is out if order. Long term guests (I think they live here sinc they say both elevators were out for a week or so and they had to use stairs) (this is a high rise with I think 13 floors). It is a pain waiting on one elevator when all the rooms are sold out. They are packed. Spider webs on light fixtures. With spiders attached. Pool is not heated, about the size of two very large spas. Parking very limited and $10 per night. Our room is strange, it has a sink next to the bed. Trashe scattered in employee only areas. No pride of ownernership. WiFi in lobby $10 per night (I think). I did not try hooking up, just sounded like a problem want to be so I used my phone the entire stay.

Good things.
Close to Walmart and Starbuck an other shopping. The area is hopping at night. Though I think it also gets working girls if you know what I mean (I observed two very nicely dressed laidies negotiating with two men at 6am going to the Starbucks. When I turned around they were all gone. Only one car in the entire street, lol). Water pressure good, water always hot in shower. Priced for room was good about $100 per night. That is about it

Overall I felt safe and had no problems. This is just a place for me to sleep and move on out to other places to enjoy.

Will add a few photos to show you my observations.

• Stayed June 2013
Santa Rosa, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days for Pearl Harbor. Pros... I liked the Kitchenette,(no roaches) everything works and the refrigerator was big, not just your average room cooler. and the rooms were spacious. Excellent location for shopping. Walmart within walking distance, and Walgreens and other food eateries. CONS...Run down. Back Breaker Beds, No pictures, and the bathroom floors buckled, almost cave in, they came in to check, so they knew about the floor in the bathroom when asked to move they said they did not have availability. The way to spot the building is look for the building that has mold on the outside, it is the oldest looking building on the street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I recommend this hotel for an average price with a little distance from the ocean. This hotel have good food, nice pool, excellent staff, and a restaurant that is surrounded by a fish pool. It is a nice hotel to talk about with a Hawaiian clothes store across the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

First of all, while the furniture, facilities, carpet, etc. are tired and worn, the service, housekeeping, a Corazon in particular, was excellent. You cannot beat the location either if you want to be away from the Waikiki tourist trap. Everything else is what you should expect given how much you paid. My only complaint was that they had 2 elevators and one never worked the three days I was there. The other one was working but they decide to work on it one day so at the time there was no elevator service and guests had to walk up and down up to twelve flights of stairs! They are trying to improve as the elevator work they were doing was to upgrade its security features. I would have given them a two-rating, but when I complained to the management I promptly received a response and apology from the manager. The immediate attention paid to my review is impressive and unexpected. I hope they can maintain their improvement as there is potential to this property. I look forward to their continued efforts to upgrade the hotel and would definitely try them again.

Room Tip: may cost more, but they are worth it. IT is affordable enough to begin with anyway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Republic, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Requested a room with one queen bed as it was the wife and I. Upon arrival we have two twin beds and were told it was just a request. Poor staff, everyones a "manager" no one willing to work with you. The only and I mean oly plus was the parking is by far the least in the area @ $10.00 nightly. But to be honest I think next time I'd rather sleep in my car!!

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pagoda Hotel? Share your experiences!