“Excellent Service, Tired Facilities But Trying Hard” 3 of 5 stars

Pagoda Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814   |
Ranked #67 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Excellent Service, Tired Facilities But Trying Hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

First of all, while the furniture, facilities, carpet, etc. are tired and worn, the service, housekeeping, a Corazon in particular, was excellent. You cannot beat the location either if you want to be away from the Waikiki tourist trap. Everything else is what you should expect given how much you paid. My only complaint was that they had 2 elevators and one never worked the three days I was there. The other one was working but they decide to work on it one day so at the time there was no elevator service and guests had to walk up and down up to twelve flights of stairs! They are trying to improve as the elevator work they were doing was to upgrade its security features. I would have given them a two-rating, but when I complained to the management I promptly received a response and apology from the manager. The immediate attention paid to my review is impressive and unexpected. I hope they can maintain their improvement as there is potential to this property. I look forward to their continued efforts to upgrade the hotel and would definitely try them again.

Room Tip: may cost more, but they are worth it. IT is affordable enough to begin with anyway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Republic, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Requested a room with one queen bed as it was the wife and I. Upon arrival we have two twin beds and were told it was just a request. Poor staff, everyones a "manager" no one willing to work with you. The only and I mean oly plus was the parking is by far the least in the area @ $10.00 nightly. But to be honest I think next time I'd rather sleep in my car!!

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Location: It's close to everything! Walking distance to Ala Moana, Ross, Walmart, FHB,...everything which was perfect! Waikiki isn't far away either.
Employees: From the check-in staff, to the housekeepers, maintenance, and check-out staff, all were friendly, very helpful, and concerned about our comfort and willing to resolve any issues.
Restaurant: I'm pretty sure they still have the buffet style for dinner so I recommend that because looking around they had lobster which looked delicious. We had the steak which was also very tasty so if you enjoy a meal being brought to you, it's still great here. The waiters are very friendly and joke around which gave off the aloha spirit. There was also two waiters during the breakfast hour that were fantastic at their jobs. They were on top of everything from getting our orders, bringing our food, and asking if anyone needed refills.
Room amenities: There's the AC, mini refrigerator, flat screen TV, alarm clock, hair dryer, iron and iron board, telephone, and coffee maker...in the room. Internet access is available with computers and a printer down in the main lobby area you just have to put in a couple dollars/ or use a credit card.

There's also a pool that goes to 6 feet deep if you want to relax by the water...otherwise like I said this hotel has easy access to everything which means that Kapiolani Beach Park is about a 5-10 minute walk through Ala Moana. Remember that this is the main Pagoda Hotel, not the terrace. When we first came one of the elevators was still undergoing maintenance but they switched the elevators and the one being used now is nice and fancy! It even speaks to you! lol Great upgrades going on at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I understand that the bugs are impossible to kill and maybe we shouldn't have booked the kitchenette suite but when you come back from dinner, turn on the lights and see the bugs run there is something WRONG! I called the front desk 3 times about this and they said they'd come spray. At checkout I was told we could have been relocated into the main hotel instead. We would have done that if I had known. It is a great location but the roaches and ants have left a terrible impression!!

Room Tip: stay in the MAIN HOTEL, not across the street and AVOID the kitchenette, NOT worth the extra expense...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hilo, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I reside on another island and have stayed at this hotel intermittently for the past 30 years. First the good. It is located in walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Center, major shopping and countless eateries. Also close to big box stores such as Walmart, Ross for Less, etc. Employees are extremely friendly and courteous. The hotel is reasonably priced for Honolulu. Now the downside. Hotel was recently purchased and is undergoing renovation. The rooms are stark, at best, and haven't changed in decades. There was a distinct odor in the hallway, less pronounced in my room. Major negative, due to renovations, there is only one working elevator. Stairs are located at the far end of the hall. It was common for me to wait 10 - 15 minutes for the elevator only to find it jam packed, unless you're using it early morning or late evening. Per the sign posted, the elevator situation will continue for another two months. Thus, I would not even consider staying here until after June 1st. Even if the elevator is repaired, I would think twice or more about staying here again. Definitely consider staying here after all the renovations are completed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We were stuck in Honolulu and were looking for a decient but cheaper room. This was scary how bad this room was. Dirty, smelled, with the sounds of drunk transients piling into the room all night long.

Do not ever ever ever stay at this hotel. Horrid. Only exception is if they pay you to stay here, then maybe consider it......

• Stayed April 2013
St. George's, Grenada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm a former Honolulu resident who visits once every year or two, usually for about 3 weeks, and typically I'll spend half of that time at the Pagoda. There's no denying that the establishment shows its age and the rooms are fairly simple. During my stays, I've always found the staff to be friendly and helpful -- in fact they often go out of their way to offer me help before I ask.

The location is what keeps me coming back. I don't want to be in Waikiki. I want to be close to shopping and the bus lines to other neighborhoods so I can easily visit my friends. The Pagoda is an easy walk to Ala Moana Shopping Center, Ross, etc. There are also a number of eateries around besides the ones you'll find at the mall. Between the bus stops at the mall and those you'll find on other streets nearby, it's quite easy to get around.

However, depending on where you stay, you do tend to get noise from outside. Between the Terrace and the Tower, I found the Tower to be a bit better in this regard. I got some noise from the pool area, but at least that closes at a reasonable hour. When I was in the Terrace, the noise from the parking lot never seemed to stop. It wasn't so much the loudness as it was the constant nature of it -- hard to sleep when someone is always outside talking.

The rooms I've had were a good size and comfortable. I've never tried the Internet there and have no intention of doing so at the rate they charge. No in room safe, which is a bit of a negative to me. The beds were fine. The bathroom has both a tub and shower. Good pressure in the pipes, plenty of hot water. The air conditioner can be loud but at least that helps drown out the sound of voices from below.

If you're looking for an affordable place outside of Waikiki, this isn't a bad bet. However, first time visitors to Hawaii might find this a bit of a letdown if they're looking for something more than a clean secure place to rest.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pagoda Hotel? Share your experiences!