“don't believe the web site” 1 of 5 stars

Pagoda Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814   |
Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
california
“don't believe the web site”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

stay away ! ever since the current corp. owner took over, approximately 4 years ago, Pagoda has slide to the bottom. the response from management consistently rebuffed any mention of an issue. the stained carpet, broken furniture, filthy bathrooms, and smell that would make a person choke. new management kept telling me that improvements were being made. not so. i am in Hawaii quite often for family. i now stay at the Ala Moana Hotel.

Room Tip: rooms near laundry are loud.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alberto R, General Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I can certainly understand and share your disapointment. Please know that we are taking steps to better maintain our facility. I have discussed your comments with our management team, and we are very sorry for our inability to achieve the Aqua experience. Please be informed that the Pagoda Hotel is doing some renovation such as building painting, elevator modernization, electronic lock system upgrade, and room refresh which consist of unit painting, new carpet, new drapes, tiling, new lighting and bath fixtures. We have other plans to improve the facilities which inludes the pool, lobby, hallways and other common area spaces. Most of the works are in progress and it will take few more months to complete.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Lakewood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well i booked this hotel at last minute ,im thankful there was availability. The location is good next to like like drive inn and a few blocks away from Ala Mona Mall. Only thing i did not like was outside noise from the room i could hear everthing going on at street level and i was on the 8th floor. beside that a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sao Paulo, Sp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

we ( 3 adults me, my daughter and her boyfriend) stayed for 12 days at the pagoda terrace hotel in a 2 bedroom +kitchenette room
the room has a very good space and woul easily accomodate 5 persons .
Kitchen and "living room"are good for breakfast and some fast food meal , has rice cooker,cofeemaker,microvawe,refrigerator,full suplie of tableware and dishes.
very good localization, walking distance from Alamoana shopping/wallmart/Ross and even if you like to walk, Waikiki beach.
bad points: as we arrived the room had a strong smell of fish ( probably from the previous guest)and it took almost a week and lots or room spray to feel ok.
it do needs renovation ( they said they were renovating the hotel and this room definatelly would need it)
elevator didn't work properly 2 evenings in a row.( or it was turned off)
I found a roach in the bathroom and I do killed it with my flip flop.but it stayed at the wall for 2 days till we removed it .( cleaning of the room was average)
even though the parking is paid separately, we have received 2 parking tickets : one for parking at a wrong spot ( we were told to park in the parking building werever we wanted ) and the second one because the parking "voucher"was not properly placed ( we did not removed it the 12 days we stayed there) both ticket were voided after we went to the parking office ( at least i hope they did) because at the front desk I was told that they could not help and that I had to go to the parking office.
Wifi not available ( only ethernet cable) and is collected separetely as well as the parking ( Thanks God I took my laptop with me)
They charge .75 for local calls even if you dial a 1-800 number
I did not used the pool or any other hotel facilities.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated one
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We traveled to Hawaii the first time in 2011 as a couple, then in 2012 decided to take the family. The first time we stayed in Aqua Wave Hotel which was nice.

When booking the hotel we thought that we did not need a nice place, all we need is a place to sleep, and shower, after all we would be out and about all the time so wasting money on a nicer hotel seemed ridiculous. Plus the pictures made it seem like a rather nice place. Boy where we ever wrong, this is just horrible. You cannot imagine how bad this hotel is!

Every morning, yes EVERY morning even Sunday, garbage trucks made very loud banging sounds while picking up the large medal garbage containers on the street. This happened from 2:30am - around 6:00am, our guys usually sleep like rocks but even they woke up. We traveled with a young couple and their baby could not sleep at all, so they transferred to the Aston on the beach in Waikiki and paid $300 more, I wish we would have done the same.

Rooms, filthy, stinky, moldy, beds uncomfortable, the halls are not even painted, cracks at the seams in the drywall, my garage has a better interior. The AC units have large gaps around as they are the "in window" type, ours almost fell out. The window opened and closed like a shutter blind which let in a-lot of sound at night as previously mentioned. Bathrooms are dirty, tile was cracked and peeling off, the bathroom doors had gaps in them which you could clearly see into the bathroom if someone opened the door to the hall. Also when we where the they were doing renovations and starting at 7:00am they were drilling and hammering outside and it sounded like it was in your room! Pool was also closed.

This hotel also is NOT structurally sound! Call me insane but when I placed my coffee on the table it was not level, so out of curiosity I went into the WalMart next door, purchased a small level and to my surprise parts of the floor where almost 3/8" off level, the walls and ceiling are also not level. I don't know who their inspector , but here in Cali those structural problems would have them shut down for sure.

This hotel is for the "hourly" people only, this is not a Hotel to say with a couple or family.

The Pagoda Restaurant has bad food too, at high prices, not nearly as horrible as the hotel but we went in for breakfast it tasted stale and wasn't fresh, even our toast tasted off :/ There is a McDonald's & Denny's in walking distance if you want a better breakfast.

In conclusion, I would say cancel your Beach-side Steakhouse reservations and pay the few hundred dollars more for a nicer place. You can actually get a nicer hotel for a mere $30 more than this. Just stay away.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, I went to all the floors and they all are loud in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great location - very close to conference center, shopping and beach but needs painting, better decorating and upgrading the bathroom.
Nice staff, clean rooms.
Nothing special but overpriced - like all hotels at this time of the year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stay away from this hotel! Their prices are incredibly high for what it is! It makes a motel 6 look like a 5 star hotel. We were actually upgraded to a better room and it was a total disappointment! It was old, smelled like feet, had no wifi and charged $10 for using cable internet, it was very noisy, and the shower had sudden and unpredictable bursts of scorching hot water. For the price, you can have a much better deal in a hotel that's in a nicer area of Waikiki and with far better service! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Suva, Fiji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at Pagoda for a day and it was ok. The staff were very accommodating. They answered all the questions I had and even recommended a couple of places they thought would interest me.

The room itself is not too special. It is not a flash room but serves its purpose. The only problem I had was the air-conditioner which was a little noisy but that did not bother me too much. The thing I really liked was the size of the room. Compared to other rooms I have seen in Hawaii, this room was pretty large.

Also, on the day that I checked out, the hotel stored my luggage until my evening flight. So overall I was happy with the service I got for my money.

Don't go with very high expectations and you will be fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pagoda Hotel? Share your experiences!