“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Chicago, Illinois
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We really wanted to give it 4 stars... The value was good, the kitchenette was helpful and saved us a lot of money. The kids enjoyed the pool, and the location was pretty good.

The air never got very cool and that's a pretty big deal after a hot day on the beach. Even during the night we never really cooled off. There was no wifi in the room... only the lobby and a few other areas.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The rooms were satisfactory as we just dumped our gears and went off most days. The pool is also handy as is a block back from the beach but longer open hours with the pool open would be nice. Was in a great spot for the international markets (no longer operational) and other restaurants/shops in Waikiki. Rates are good and space was fine also. Staff at check-in very helpful. Activities team a little pushy & random guys out the front asking to join their tours were annoying. The wait for the lifts weren't bad & with Chili's in the building and Dennys 24hrs across the road, food or a coffee was never too far. We did have an 'ant' issue in the kitchen. Weekend nights are pretty rowdy on Kuhio St. I normally stay at the Aston Waikiki Beachside on Kalakaua Ave which quietens down at night due to not many bars in close vicinity. All and all, a great convenience for the large wedding party we were with.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside (car park side) are quieter than the roadside.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Can't complain about the location. But there is lots to complain about the state of this hotel ... one word OLD. The hotel is very run down with paint pealing off in rooms, mold around the tub area and the glass door ... walls inside the bathroom are soft to the touch. No ventilation fan, just a very old fashion window.
Worse, was the hotel has a lot of bugs (not bed bugs), but bugs, like ants. Woke up one morning and about to get something from the kitchen counter top (which had no sweets on it) and the next thing I noticed was an army of ants scrambling, running on the counter-top. Then the army scrambled and hid under the corroding counter-tip. Disgusting seen.
The furniture was old and dusty, bed was soft. The headboards, yuck.
Glad this hotel will either be renovated end of this year / or demolished. Just a disgusting, old hotel in the right neighborhood.

Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Go with a service apartment if you really want a kitchen. The kitchenette only had plates, bowls, f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Great location - 2 blocks walk from main beach & strip of shops. Clean and tidy rooms, helpful staff. Great pool area which the kids loved. Nothing fancy, but great place to lay your head & enjoy beautiful Waikiki. The rooms don't have exceptional views (but you're not paying the fee for views either).

Room Tip: Lower floors = faster access when lifts are being temperamental or slow.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I requested a quiet room as we were late in arrival and needed to attend an early AM funeral. I got a room for myself and wife but surrounded by larger rooms with kitchens and families with small children. Up until about midnight I called the front desk about kids unning the hallways and adults shoulting down the hall at one anoth discussing the next day activities. I was told a security would arrive, did it? I called again about an hour later and no answer at the front desk and no way to call security. VERY poor service and not a good night's sleep. On speaking with front desk in AM I was shortly and uncaringly informed that there was no way for me to reach security and needed to call front desk only. There are 2 on duty and were probably busy. THe hotel is convenient but caters to young families and seemingly no regard for others. Scratch this one off my list of possibilities for a pleasant stay. Parking fills quickly and even if you've paid your feed you'll need to go to another property to park - good luck! They have 3 elevators but always a line and very slow.

Room Tip: avoid a room on the front street - very busy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
OHANAWaikkiWest, Guest Relations Manager at Ohana Waikiki West, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to outline the inconveniences that you endured. We are very sorry for this experience and are most disappointed to learn that your visit was tarnished.
I will personally bring your comments to the attention of our management team. We will address the details of your experience and retrain the appropriate team members.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Superb location. Neat and clean. Local supermarkets are near. Walking distance to the waikiki beach. But lifts are a little slow. Better to take stairs when in hurry. Will recommend anyone with family or friends.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Aloha from Paradise! Thank you for posting a thoughtful review. Though your visit with us was short, I am honored that our OHANA Waikiki West Experience left a great impression with you. Your recommendation to others is sincerely appreciated and we look forward to when you are able to spend more time with us. Until we meet again.....aloha!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

The Ohana West in Waikiki LOOKS like a nice property on the internet pictures. But we all know how pictures can deceive. It is at best a two star property. It's VERY crowded at all times. The lobby is small and the elevators sound as if the cables are wearing out. I stayed on the 15th floor, and it is one of the most noisy hotels I've experienced--and I stay in 180 plus hotels a year. The rooms were clean, but I got a towel in the bathroom that was not so pretty, if you know what I mean! They charge $25 a night for parking and the garage is so tight, you have to be careful not to clip the walls or other cars. The lamp in my room had a broken switch and would not turn on. The extremely slow internet is free but is wired and of course the wire was broken in my room. The elevators took forever to get to my floor. Priceline really let me down on this one and I assure you I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I can certainly understand and share your disapointment. Please know that we are taking steps to better maintain our facility. I have discussed your comments with our management team, and we are very sorry for our inability to achieve the OHANA experience. Please be informed that the OHANA Waikiki West Hotel will be doing major renovation such as building painting, elevator modernization, electronic lock system upgrade, and room refresh which consists of unit painting, new carpet, new drapes, tiling, new lighting and bath fixtures. We have other plans to improve the facilities which includes the pool, lobby, hallways and other common area spaces.

Been to Ohana Waikiki West? Share your experiences!