“Worked for our short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ohana Waikiki West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2330 Kuhio Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #69 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Pewaukee, WI
“Worked for our short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a 4th floor room with 2 double beds and a small kitchenette. I would've preferred 1 larger bed, but this was evidently the room we had booked and they were full, since it was Pro Bowl weekend. The room was clean and everything worked. I was pleasantly surprised that we had a partial view of the ocean from our city view room. With the patio doors closed, noise was not much of a problem. I found the mattress uncomfortable (could feel the springs) and called about it the next morning. Staff immediately offered to put a pillow top on the bed, and that had been done by the time we returned to our room. I appreciate that prompt response to my complaint, and it did improve the bed comfort, but I feel a comfortable bed should be a given, not something one needs to ask for. I was unable to use my Kindle Fire. WI FI is only available in the lobby, but I wasn't able to connect there either. I'm not sure if the problem was with the hotel or my device. I asked if they had a hot tub, and they don't, but did offer that we could use the hot tub at their sister hotel, the Ohana Waikiki East. It was nice to have that option, but we didn't take advantage of it, since it wasn't very convenient. As others have mentioned, the location was great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Korean first
North Highlands, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed 6 nights at the Ohana Waikiki West. It is the best location for the money. We were within walking distance of EVERYTHING! I agree that the decor is in need of updating however we felt that this was ok since the time we spent in our room was for showering and sleeping. The staff was very courtieous and friendly. We had a small issue with the shower head not allowing much water flow. We told the front desk and they sent maintainence right away and it was fixed. The bed was not the greatest but it worked and we really liked that the room had a small refrigerator in it. We ate breakfast in our room which helped with food expenses. There is also a grocery store across the street which worked well for us. Overall the Ohana West gets 4 stars from us for being budget friendly and having the perfect location! We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel, away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kurri Kurri, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights.

We had a room on the 17th floor. The room was clean but small and I agree with other reviewers that the decor is a bit tired but it is OK. Our room had a flat screen TV although there was no ceiling light.

One issue was that there were no extra pillows or blankets in the room, however they were delivered promptly when requested. It may have just been our room but there was not enough room to put our suitcases comfortably and we had to leave one on the floor which was a problem when wanting to get something out.

We found the bed to be comfy and our room was not noisy. One comment about the parking garage is that it can be hard to navigate and the parking spaces are small.

The location was great and central.

I would recommend to travellers who are not wanting to spend alot on accommodation but location is important.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better opportunity to have a nice view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
OhanaWestManager, Manager at Ohana Waikiki West, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Aloha Kim R,

On behalf of the staff and management of the OHANA Waikiki West Hotel, we would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Hawaii. We would also like to thank you for your time to post a review about our hotel.

As with other reviews, management is aware of the dated decor and discussions have begun regarding renovations. This will be a couple years in the future, however it is being addressed.

We are appreciative of your comment regarding the quick response to your request for additional blankets and pillows. Here at the OHANA Waikiki West Hotel we strive to provide the best service to our guests and our staff is proud of what they do.

Once again, thank you for the generous score and comments you provided and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mahalo,
OHANA Waikiki West Management
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

A friend and I just got back from a week long holiday in Hawaii and were very happy with this hotel. We arrived very early in the morning and couldn't access our room until after three - which we knew. So the lady at the front desk checked us in and offered to hold our bags until 3:00pm.

The room consisted of two bigger than average twin beds, with a TV, balcony, kitchenette, bathroom, in-room safe and a mini fridge. This was perfect as we were able to get groceries from the "Pantry" (small supermarket 10m from the hotel) and eat breakfast/snacks at our leisure. Although we didn't use the hotel pool, it looked clean and was a decent size for both swimming and sun baking on the deck chairs. The tour desk was also great - one lady in particular was very friendly and knew her stuff! We booked 4-5 tours though the hotel all of which picked us up from the hotel and dropped us back off again. Our quality of sleep was amazing, however we were on the go from morning to night and we are pretty heavy sleepers.

The hotel is within walking distance to quite a lot of shops and attractions. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel, which at the time, had free access to the pink trolley (to Ala Moana Shopping Centre). Directly across the road was Denny's (a diner restaurant) and the hotel was only a few blocks to the famous Waikiki beach and beach walk which has all of the designer brand shops.

As this was my second time in Waikiki, I loved it even more. I have previously stayed at the Hyatt Regency (not too far from this hotel) and although the Hyatt faces the beach and is right in the heart, Ohana Waikiki is definitely the next best option if you are on a budget.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends and to anyone who wishes to visit Waikiki. It's clean, central, and has everything you need for a great holiday.

My only complaints would be that the pillows need to be changed (the stuffing was all bunched up in parts of the cushion) - only being picky! My other complaints would be that there are noises coming from the pipes through the hotel - sounds like water rushing or toilet flushing in the next room, and the elevators are a bit slow (however this gave is time to look over the balcony or to access wi-fi in the lobby). Wi-fi is only located in the lobby!

I love Hawaii and I can't wait to go back! Happy traveling :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Schiedam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Staff was friendly and helpful. (They upgrated our room).
Location is great; nearby shops, restaurants, busstop (right in front of the hotel).
Room: situated on the 11th floor, so we didn't have any noise problems. Very large with 2 twin beds and a kitchenette. Balcony has great view of the city and partial ocean view. But it is outdated and bit rundown, especially bathroom: has moulds on wall and shower is grubby and dark; it's a very awkward and tiny cubicle.
Bed was good; didn't really like to use the covers as it looked a bit dingy. But linnen and towels were clean.
Ehh...value wise good, but wouldn't stay here again, especially not as a couple.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I stayed here with my teenage daughter for 7 nights recently. The hotel is very old and dated. While it was close to everything and we could walk easily to the beach and shopping, it is very very noisy. We stayed on the 14th floor and still had trouble sleeping from the street noise below. If we went out at night for something to eat or some shopping we found that it was quite scary coming back to the Hotel, a lot of rif raf hanging around outside the hotel and people yelling at my daughter and I to come drinking etc, which we didn't get anywhere else. Also sitting outside the Hotel at 5am in the dark waiting for a tour bus was also scary with the prositutes and drunks hanging around the streets around the Hotel. The lifts are incredibly slow!!!! While our room was reasonably clean, but dated, our sink basin in the bathroom was crawling with tiny bugs that found their way out at night to the rest of room, we ended up buying bug spray to try to deal with this... the shower is tiny and makes it hard to wash without banging your elbows and the water comes from the nozzle like needles and we weren't able to change that. At 4.30am it took forever to get anything resembling warm water from the shower. The walls are very thin and you can hear just about everything coming from the rooms around you.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Aloha r b,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the OHANA Waikiki West on your most recent stay to Hawaii. We do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered while you were here. Our management staff has read your comments and are investigating ways to find resolutions to your concerns.

Preliminary discussions about renovations have occurred, although it wil be a couple years more before that takes place. Management is appreciative of you sharing those concerns with us.

We would also like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the bugs in your basin. This has been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping department and we are looking for ways to be proactive to resolve this concern.

On behalf of the staff and management of the OHANA Waikiki West hotel, we thank you for your patronage and sincerely hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Mahalo,
OHANA Waikiki West Management
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

This is a great hotel to stay at if you are on a budget! My wife and I stayed here for three days while in town and found it to be all that we needed. The room and hotel in general were very clean and for the most part quiet (hint: try to get a higher level room to avoid noises from the street and pool/bar areas). Staff was very friendly and helpful! Our room had a kitchenette which is great if your looking to save a little money! The room was very spacious and the shower had great water pressure! Really, the only complaint is it could use a little bit of updating. The lighting in the room was poor and decor/flooring were dated...not really a big deal. Some of the pluses include free access to the pink trolley, in room internet (hint: bring your wireless router to have an instant wireless connection in your room) and the service. I would definitely recommend to the budget conscious! And keep in mind, you are probably not in Hawaii to be in your hotel/room, get out there and enjoy paradise!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple