“Great Location ,Location Location !!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2169 Kalia Rd., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Methuen, Massachusetts
“Great Location ,Location Location !!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

They remodeled a few years back and the place is very nice. Super location . Diamond Head is to your left. You are right on the beach. Nice pool...3 whirl pools by the pool. Staff was super. You can walk to everything. Will go back again

Room Tip: Try to get your room in the north tower. Its closer to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

3,538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
edmonton alberta canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just returned from a lovely and romantic get away. Celebrating our 25th anniversary, we participated in the free vow renewal ceremony. It was very moving and beautiful. We did enjoy our ocean view room (did ask to be moved from our original location because our view really was the building across from us). But after we moved we were happy. We paid a lot for the room but we really liked this hotel. It has an adequate little beach, customer service was great. The pool is always cold because it is nestled under the shade of two large buildings but being from Canada, that did not stop us from taking some plunges. Overall a lovely hotel, and for couples looking to rekindle the romance, the renewal ceremony is very special. Also, the fact that you are close to everything makes it a convenient location.

Room Tip: Try not to get the pacific tower, too far from the beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my first stay after the Reef's remodeling a couple years ago, and I was delighted.
You get a chair during check-in, there was no waiting and the staff made you feel welcomed.
The room was very comfortable with carved koa wood accents, shutters, a cute curved sofa and many thoughtful conveniences. For instance, the bedside lamp had an illuminated power switch so you could easily find it in the dark. The in-room coffee maker included Hawaiian and green tea. The clock radio let you adjust brightness and included mp3 input.They provided real stationery-- can't recall the last time I saw that!
And best of all, free WI-fi and no resort fee!
The location is one of the best in Waikiki-- the beach has breakwater on both sides so it's calm for swimming with a great view of diamond head. A stellar sushi place--Nobu--is across the street, a Waikiki trolley/city bus stop is just out front, plus within walking distance to the key places in Waikiki.
I found it to be the best value of the 8 beachfront Waikiki properties at $235 per night with a city view. One caveat, city views and partial ocean view rooms are great here, but don't opt for the "no view" category, because they mean it.
Also, if you've never been to Waikiki, don't be fooled by hotels that describe themselves as "just a few blocks from the beach". You want to be on the beach-- schlepping armfulls of beach gear is a chore after 3 blocks. Plus, having glimpses of ocean throughout a hotel elevates your experience.
The Shore Bird downstairs has one the best deals of all the area breakfast buffets plus one of the nicest views. I liked the live Hawaiian music performances at dinnertime-- the roster even includes Cecil Pahunui on Wednesdays. Staying here was lovely.

• Stayed February 2013
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here in early December 2012 and our purpose was to see Waikiki and visit Pearl Harbor. The hotel is nice and rooms are well appointed. The hotel has a cook your own steak restaurant which I liked, but my husband did not want to have to cook his own meal. Food was of good quality and the early bird prices made it reasonable. We had trouble adjusting to the time change as we are from New York state.
The balcony off the room was pretty narrow only barely holding a bistro table and two chairs and we were dismayed when a large white pigeon came in our room one morning when I left the sliding door open for a few minutes. Housekeeping was very pleasant.
People watching on the beach was great and very crowded. The hotel was fine but not very memorable.

Room Tip: I preferred being up higher and we paid for an ocean view and it is but the hotel is situated sidewa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I are newlyweds that live in Hawaii and decided to have a "stay"-cation for several days. We arrived late at night around 10PM after our wedding reception. Our first experience was driving around looking for the self-parking lot and realizing there was only a valet service. The extremely RUDE valet, "Val", confirmed with a tone of sarcasm that there was only valet and it was $35/per 24 hours! Definitely not a great first impression by Outrigger. *thumbs down*

We then proceeded to the front desk to check-in where "Samantha" was apologetic for the valet service member. Check-in was fast and smooth.

Our first night then continued upstairs to our room where I reserved a "Ocean View" which was more expensive than the standard room. Apparently, a very small sliver of beach and water fronting the Hale Koa hotel in the distance is considered "Ocean View". Majority of the view was of the front lawn and the adjacent Outrigger tower. We called the front desk and apparently we were supposed to request the "Ocean FRONT View". So for all you scenic lovers, if you want a nice view of the ocean, you'll have to spring the extra $$$ for the Ocean Front View.

The following day we received a complimentary bottle of wine from hotel services. Nice but sadly this was about the only positive experience we received from Outrigger. The updated decor and fixtures were definitely top notch but the overall experience still has much room for improvement.

The final day we tried using the TV check-out service and the customer survey, however, even those services were not working. I proceeded to call the front desk asking for a late check-out as told the night before but was denied because they booked the room back-to-back already.

OVERALL:
Hospitality service in certain areas needs improvement. The so called "high-speed' WiFi was extremely slow. Other guest functions were also non-working such as the soda machine (which ate my quarter and refused to take any additional dollar bills).

Great looking updates for this hotel but we would definitely not stay here again (due to the price and poor services) and wouldn't recommend Outrigger to our friends and family either.

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean FRONT View if you want any hope of having a ocean view that shows a majority of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerReefHotel, General Manager at Outrigger Reef on the Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Aloha Allen,
Thank you for the feedback and we apologize for not providing our usual high standard of accommodation and service. As the old saying goes, “You never get another chance to make a good first impression”. We have counseled our Front Service personnel about their important role as they often are our first and last impressions.
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Can't go wrong with this choice. Lots of restaurants, nice rooms, world class beach, great service. Roys restaurant is across the street and the hotel itself has a cook your own steak restaurant that is alot of fun

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am writing this review late where today is 2/25/2013 although I was a short resident in Honolulu, HI on 11/7/2012-11/13/2012 at the beautiful resort of Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Outrigger Reef was not my first choice but was Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Why? At the time of booking, the package suddenly increased while I noticed Outrigger Reef decreased significantly. I couldn't let a deal slip by so we grabbed it. I already new both Outriggers (noted earlier) have excellent rating so it was a win-win situation for us.

As we entered the hotel, the bell-mans' took our luggage and we were escorted to the registration desk. No lines...sat at an executive looking desk...by the way, all the registrations desks looks like this. Check in was no more than 5 minutes. I have to note that once we got out of the cab to enter the hotel, all you can feel is ocean breeze. Even when we were INSIDE the building, which was an open lobby area..no walls (better understood if you see it yourself) if felt ocean breeze. Even when checking with at the registration desk...ocean breeze! Can you believe it! As I'm writing this I can still feel and smell the wonderful heavenly atmosphere.

As you walked in, you notice Starbucks, jewelry stores, restaurant, pool and lounge area before you even get to check in. It was alot to take in but amazing. The one thing I noticed immediately was it was very busy...alot of people were around.

So we checked in, got our keys and headed up to our room. By the time we walked in our room, we were delivered out luggage and given an overview about our room, amenities and services offered. EXCELLENT!

Our room was the CITY view. The view was of a park and then skyrise buildings and then behind those buildings were mountains. WOOOW! Although we didn't have an ocean view, the view we had was just simply breathtaking! You still felt the ocean breeze and somber quietness. AHhhhhhhhh!!!!!

ROOM: The room was absolutely spacious. 2 queen beds with lots of pillows. Several stations including premium channels. A mini fridge was available as well as a safe for personal items. Sold doors for the bathrooms and spacious tubs. Excellent water pressure for the shower. Room came with a balcony with a table with 2 chairs to soak in the view as you had your morning tea/coffee. A tiny view the ocean but nothing to brag about...my view was of the city which I loved! Room itself was big enough from the door to the balcony that you can do 4-5 cartwheels without breaking anything...that's how big and spacious the room was.

BEACH: As all the TRIPADVISORS loyal reviewers mentioned, YES, you need beach shoes to walk on the resorts' beach. It was so rocky and uncomfortable that I never walked barefooted. The beach had a peer that you can walk on...it will give you a fantastic view of the shorelines of Waikiki, the other hotels such as Sheraton, Outrigger Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian as well as others including DIAMOND HEAD (a mountain -- hidden bunker for the army). We ended walking to the beaches on either side of Outrigger Reef which I might add way better.
---SIDE NOTE: Outrigger Waikiki Beach was always super super crowded!

RESTAURANT: There were a few restaurants...Kani Ka Pila Grille, Shore Bird and I believe a restaurant called Ocean House. Ocean House was very pricey ranging meals between $30-50 while Shore Bird was a buffet style restaurant priced between $15-30 on meals. Shore Bird had a wide array foods which were all fantastic! Kani Ka Pila Grille was a great place with outdoor entertainment and they will deliver your order to your room which was great too!
---SIDE NOTE: Outrigger Waikiki Beach Duke restaurant we also went to. My friend and I both had issues with them placing charges on our credit cards....her card declined mentioning expired expiration date when we clearly saw the card was not expired and my card was authorized 3 times pulling away from my available balance on my card. Why did that happen....I don't even know???

TIMESHARE: These representatives were all over the place enticing you with deals and offers. By the way, I HATE TIMESHARE PRESENTATIONS! We ended up doing a timeshare presentation only because we got $100 off our purchased excursions.

ABC STORES: If you want some snacks, supplies and don't want to pay the pricey resort prices for these items, go to any ABC store. Don't worry, there is 1-2 of these stores on each block. You will get regularly priced items from band aids, chips, towels, frames, cameras, battery, cigs, gums, sandwiches, etc. The best ABC store is by EMBASSY suites, literally a 3-5 minute leisurely walk from the front lobby of Outrigger.

Hopefully this review helps in making your decision on your desired hotel!

PS -- I will be going back to Hawaii hopefully this year staying at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki!

Been to Outrigger Reef on the Beach? Share your experiences!