“They've Got It Down” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Vacaville, California
“They've Got It Down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here during a one-night business stopover. I have stayed here a number of times over the years. I stayed in Room 830 in the Pacific Tower. This room faces the new Trump Hotel across the street - the 8th floor looks out onto the very pretty, glasses-in pool area, all blue with muted lights, and the roof garden of the Embassy Suites kitty corner from the hotel. I like a city view almost as much as an ocean view, I like to check out what's going on locally. I found that the view was just fine, as the 8th floor was just high enough to see the local goings-on, and it's high up enough so that it was not noisy. I was not bothered by street noise at all. Facing the other buildings was not constricting at all on this floor, but lower that floor 8 would have a narrower view. This room was recently renovated, with grass paper masses, light brown, an extremely comfortable bed with non-crush pillows. Bathroom had a raised sink, the type that sits on the counter like a bowl. That normally does not work for me since I am only 5 foot 3, but this sink was just a touch lower so I had no problems. Amenities are full-size and very light-scented, not the blasting coconut or floral that you get in Hawaii. Plenty of thick towels. Real coffee maker (4 cup), not the single cup pieces of junk a lot of hotels have now. Staff was unbelievably pleasant, helpful and efficient, I was very impressed even though the staff here is normally that way. The Reef really knows how to get it done right when it comes to customer service. There is a nice workout room in the basement, three treadmills, two ellipticals a couple of benches and some free weights. Quite doable, but if you are military (active, Reserve or retired) you can walk over to the Hale Koa and use their full gym. There is a Starbucks right in the l lobby at the Reef, a Dennys around the corner for breakfast and just about any type of food you want very close by. I have eaten in their restaurant and I liked it a lot, reasonably priced and a little hideaway when the hubbub gets to you. Overall very pleasant, I would definitely return and I'm sure I will.

Room Tip: If you prefer an ocean view ask for the Ocean Tower. The Pacific Tower is fine, with city views, but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tyrone, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Outrigger this past week. (January 8-12) There are not enough adjectives to describe how truly wonderful our time spent there was. We had an deluxe ocean front room and the view was, to say the least, magnificent. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and very attractive. The beds were comfortable, especially after long outings. The staff was extremely courteous, friendly and helpful. They were attentive to every detail. (even the surprise wedding vow renewal ceremony my wife had planned.) The restaurants were outstanding, in food and service with cheerful and knowledgeable wait staff. The concierge was always helpful and ready with useful suggestions for activities, shopping, and site seeing reservations, etc. Although the valet services were a bit pricey, we never had to wait for our car. They even cleaned the car up for every outing. One of them even went out of their way to find us a phone charger to use because ours quit working. Housekeeping was very thorough and pleasant. The house photographer, Boyana, was amazing to work with. She took many photos of our vow renewal ceremony. As a budding photographer, she was eager to capture a memorable moment with style and professionalism. The coordinator and officiant provided a beautiful and authentic Hawaiian wedding ceremony which made our renewal as wonderful and meaningful as our first.

Room Tip: Ocean front is certainly the best and well worth the money.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I just got back from the Outrigger Reef on the Beach for our honeymoon (January 2013) and we loved it! They had a bottle of champagne delivered to our room when they realized we were celebrating our honeymoon - nice touch and good champagne!! The hotel itself is lovely and the staff is great - the rooms are very nice. The location is amazing - you dont even need a car if you dont mind walking - all the retail, restaurants and nightlife is all within 15 minutes. We rented a car at the Hertz at the hotel for two days to see Oahu. We stayed in an ocean view room on the side of the building facing the pool - we upgraded when we checked in and were told it would be quiet (its away from the beach) but this wasn't the case. The pool was loud as well as the restaurant. We were right above the restaurant that has live entertainment every night from 6-9, but overall it didn't bother us. We would definitely stay here again if we visit Waikiki!!

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just got back from 6 nights at the Outrigger and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is directly on the beach and an easy walk to shops and restaurants. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, I had read reviews on Trip Advisor about which rooms to pick so I asked to be in the Ocean Tower, which was the closet beachfront location and we had a Ocean View room with a balcony. While it overlooked the pool, it also had a lovely view of the ocean and well worth the upgrade, if you can swing it. I noted that the rooms with the best view in this tower would be about Floor 6 and up. The floors below that would be mostly blocked by an adjacent tower of hotel rooms. If you stayed in the Pacific Tower, you would need to be at least on the 7th floor to have a good view of the ocean, so choose carefully! I specifically asked for 1003. This was a corner room with a large balcony, but probably the oceanview rooms down through 1010 would have been even better as they were even closer to the beach. I appreciated having a refrigerator as well as a coffeemaker in the room. It was also nice to have the free WiFi, although it was quite slow and somewhat frustrating to be booted off every 10 minutes or so. The hotel restaurants are quite expensive, but not out of the ordinary for the Waikiki area (they are all expensive!) A few times we walked by the Shorebird's breakfast or lunch buffet, but the selections didn't look too appetizing, so we didn't try the buffet. The hotel does an overview/introduction on your first day and offers the breakfast buffet for only $4, which we would have taken advantage of, but we didn't know about it, so attending this event would be a good idea. The pool area is attractive, with several hot tubs and has live entertainment every night until 9 or 10 pm. (This doesn't seem that late, unless you are still on east coast time like we were, so we had to crank up our white noise app to block out the noise from the pool, even being on the 10th floor.) One of the best things we did was rent a car for the day to drive all over the island, although we avoided the hotel's expensive parking fee by returning the car at the end of the day. On the negative side, we found it annoying that there was a fee to rent a chair to sit in the beach. I realize that the beach probably has public access, but for guests actually paying to stay at the hotel, they shouldn't have to pay to sit on a chair on the hotel's beach. We also booked several tours at the hotel's activity desk, which in hindsight, we wish we hadn't, as most of them were way overpriced and also way too long. For example, we booked a trip to Pearl Harbor that took 8 hours (6:30 am -2:30 pm) We should have just paid cab fare and taken about an hour to see the Arizona Memorial. Another waste of time tour was the snorkeling trip, which was also billed as a whale/dolphin watch. It turned into a long boat ride with about 10 minutes of snorkeling and a quick dolphin and whale sighting and we didn't end up wanting the lunch and open bar that was included in the package. With a little research we could have done these activiites for less money and much less time. The one exception was Bike Hawaii. That was an excellent mountain bike tour with a very small group (5 of us)--our guide Jeremy was great and very knowledgeable about the history of the island. A mountain bike is a wonderful way to see sights and views not accessible by car. Note: "Lost" fans will love this bike tour! Bike Hawaii also offers hiking and kiyak tours, so we wished we had booked directly with them, as our bike tour was the highlight of our whole trip. Our best meal was at the famous Duke's, located a few blocks down the beach, but we had to eat early (5 pm) as it is very popular and always crowded.

Room Tip: There are 3 different sections/towers for this hotel--the rooms above the 6-7th floors would have ni...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Outrigger Reef for 7 nights in October following a short stay in Vegas. It's in a great location, right on the beach front so we could make the most of the wonderful Waikiki sunset. We found the staff so helpful and courteous, housekeeping was fantastic, onsite restaurants great, although we favoured the poolside bar and grille for amazing food & drinks in a relaxed atmosphere - with live music every night. The hotel was a great base to explore from, front desk staff planned trips for us and there was always something going on from pumpkin carving to lei making to marriage vow renewal and traditional dance. Our room was lovely, 13 floors up overlooking the pool, but also a good view of the ocean. Very clean and comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to book again and would recommend it to everyone. I can't wait for a direct flight from England to Oahu, I'd be there tomorrow!

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Let me start with My wife and I are seasoned travelers and fairly particular on service and quality.
We stayed here with friends for 5 days in a beach front room ( not to be confused with a beach view room as our friends were but still a great room) and could not fault the room or location there are 3 good quality restaurants / bars with 2 over looking the beach there is free WiFi the staff were great .
On our last night we found a fantastic restaurant ( directly opposite ) BLT in trump tower it has the freshest seafood we have had in a long time. This was our first time in Honolulu and are going back in December we loved it that much.
The only point I would stress is dont book day trips / tours / golf etc through wyndhams which are in the building or concierge as they are way over priced
eg. Atlantis submarine ( which is awesome by the way ) was $153 ea which included there special $10 ea discount for booking through them but if you walk upto Atlantis which is about 100 Mtrs up the beach we got tickets for $110.50ea and got on straight away on the 11am tour also Wyndham said they could do a special golf deal just for us $230 ea + $55 club hire ea / round
Don't pay this guys. Ala Wai golf club around the corner nearly ( 5 minute taxi ) is $30ea and $25 club hire and not a bad course. You just have to book tee times
At the end of the day though I don't think you will find a better hotel with direct beach access and as I said we will be back to the same hotel again

• Stayed January 2013
Saint Helens, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Outrigger Reef is a nice property that sits right on Wikiki beach in Honolulu. Nice pool area (salt water), good nightlife lounges (2), several shops, and a Starbucks. Rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds, up to date decor and very clean.

My issue with the property are the excessive fees they hit you with in an already $$$$ hotel ("resort");

-$35 vallet (mandatory) parking... Honolulu is an expensive city to park so $35 isn't really out line for the area, BUT I asked the vallet directly if that included in and out privileges and was told yes. Oh nay nay my freind, our first day cost us $90 to park! We then had to "upgrade" to the tune of $200 (for the 6 days remaing in our stay) to include in and out privileges (Total cost for 7 days of parking; $510)

-18% surcharge for food billed to your room. I'm not talking about room service I'm talking about a drink and sandwich in the lounge, pool or anywhere. Don't bill anything to your room and you'll be fine.

-$50 for lost vallet ticket. We didnt get hit with this one, but the front desk made a point of inquiring if we still had our ticket on the last day so we could be charged for it. Funny thing is we didn't use our ticket all week, the attendant would look it up for us (you use the same pass for the entire stay), it just happened that I still had it at check out.

-$10 per meal "takeout" charge. Our teenage kids got this one. We sent the kids down to grab some food for themselves (to avoid the roomservice charges), their $18 meals turned into $28 meals (+18% charge to your room fee) each.

Honestly, we are not "cheap" people, the problem with all of the charges we ran into is that we weren't told about them before they were billed but after. Usually while in Hawaii we will rent a condo (or a home) and thought we might just save a few bucks by staying in a hotel this time. That was a mistake we will not be making again in the future and Outrigger resorts will not be the list of properties we frequent in any of our travels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Aloha b_oregon1984,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Outrigger Reef. Would you mind sharing with us in detail about the extra charges, specifically parking? We do charge $35 daily and it includes in&out privileges. Please email me at orf@outrigger.com

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you,
Leigh

Been to Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!