“OHANA, MEANS FAMILY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Dunedin, Florida
“OHANA, MEANS FAMILY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Ohana East Hotel is a great value for staying near Waikiki Beach one block away from the Hotel, For shopping you have the International Market Place just two blacks away, For bus services right by the corner of the hotel, Eating establishment sports bar right next door service pizza and sandwiches, also next to the hotel is a restaurant call Keoni, Great for breakfast and prices are reasonable.
The Hotel Staff, From the Mangers to the bell hops all willing to make your stay a very good and enjoyable time,
We are planning on staying at the Ohana East when we return to Hawaii in the near future!!

Room Tip: TOP FLOORS GOOD VIEWS, alot of the rooms have a little kitchen with microwave a refrigerator and cof...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
camano island, wa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My family and I were guests at the Ohana East for the 21st time this October. We were there for the usual two weeks and as always, had a wonderful stay. We have " always " been treated with the utmost respect, dignity, and appreciation. From the gentlemen at the Bell Desk, Darryl, Joel, Jetson, and the rest, to the housekeeping staff, we are always very well taken care of. The front desk staff, Denise, Meg, Tracy, Josh, and the others always greet us when we're in the lobby. They know our family members by name and always inquire how they are doing. I taught guest service for a large corporation and the entire staff at the Ohana East epitomizes "great guest service". We find the rooms to always be clean, neat, and well appointed. We could stay at one of the "on the beach" properties, but we "choose" to stay at the Ohana East simply because of the great staff. Hope this helps someone else enjoy a wonderful experience while in the islands.

Room Tip: For us, the rooms on the south east end are the best, the higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hervey Bay, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on several visits to Waikiki. All other experiences have been pleasant therefore I did not hesitate booking again. The hotel is in a good location and staff have always been helpful and friendly. This time I booked a kitchenette room as this part of my vacation was the last 4 days of a month long holiday and I thought it would be nice to make my own breakfast and occasional lunch/dinner. Upon arrival I was checked in promptly and given room 206. Upon entering I was very disappointed.This room in no way resembled the photographs on their website. There was no balcony and windows were screwed shut so impossible to get any fresh air. The room was small and clearly in desparate need of renovation, actually I do not believe this corner room should not be used for accommodation as it has nothing pleasant and would be more suitable for storage for housekeeping purposes. I booked this room several months in advance however it seems we were just given the rubbish room :- the view is of the roof, the kitchenette is a sink and a microwave with a hotplate which looks quite dangerous, the bathroom was so small when standing in the shower if I crossed my arms my elbows touched the tiles, there was no storage space for any toiletries and no where to place shampoo etc in the shower(probably due to size). When wanting a shower I had to run the water for 20 minutes before the water became hot this was worse in the evening as sometimes the water heated after 10 minutes in the morning. I did contact maintenance and someone was going to come to the room however after 20 minutes the water did become hot so I called again to let them know, I was told "oh that's not acceptable is it" by the lady who answered the phone. After 4 days there was still no improvement and I don't believe this issue was looked into. Now to the bed, it was very uncomfortable quite hard an the pillows were so old, flat and hard I could not sleep very well on my first night there was also only 1 thin blanket. I left a note for housekeeping to kindly replace the pillows and please leave an extra blanket. The pillows were changed however a blanket was not forthcoming during my stay. Throughout the room the wiring is unsafe with wires and cords all jumbled together. There are no bedside tables and the television is of the old box type - quite old. Wireless internet is free however it is extremely slow and impossible to skype etc. Carpets are old and tacky. If you are in the elevator and someone outside calls for the elevator to come down it automatically overrides your request and goes down to pick up people in the lobby, sometimes it took several attempts for me to reach the 2nd floor.
Good points for the hotel is still the parking garage although this has increased in price to $25per day and the self service laundry. Extremely disappointed with this visit Ohana East is in desperate need of upgrading and it is very sad to see what was a nice hotel be let run down.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful and unforgettable time in Hawaii and much of it was thanks to the excellent service and prime location of this hotel. Only a 10 minute walk to Waikiki beach and close to several amenities, Ohana Waikiki East is great for doing Waikiki on a budget. The staff was always friendly, efficient and ready with some extra beach towels if you needed them. We lucked into a corner apartment on the third floor, which gave us a lovely view of the mountain and cityscape, and even a view of the nightly pre-dinner performance at the Hawaiian restaurant across the street. Considering the location the evenings were surprisingly quiet, aside from the aforementioned performances, but we were usually headed out around that time, so it never bothered us, and the shows were always over by mid-evening.

The only negatives I can think of was that we had a neighbour who had a nasty habit of slamming his door shut whenever he went in and out, and occasionally played his television a bit loud. A strong rap on the adjoining wall took care of the latter problem, but if we had really felt this was a big issue we would have addressed it with the staff and they would have taken care of it. There was only a shower in the bathroom, no bathtub unfortunately, but in order to switch we would have had to give up the prime corner location as well as the INVALUABLE kitchenette, so we opted to stay with our original selection. The room's free wifi was much appreciated, but very spotty (though this is the case in just about any hotel). Fortunately there was also wired internet for my laptop. The wifi in the lobby/lounge area was great, so you can always chill on one of the comfortable couches and quickly get your internet done there on your favorite device before popping off to the next local destination on your itinerary. Besides, the last thing you should be doing in beautiful Waikiki is sitting in your room on the internet!!!

In conclusion, we would absolutely stay at Ohana Waikiki East again. Staying here made our trip affordable, but the fantastic staff made us feel like royalty. We cannot wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: Corner apartments that face North East have a lovely mountain/cityscape view. If possible, get a ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff was fabulous, friendly, helpful and efficient. Every single staff member that I had contact with was helpful, going the extra mile to help me out immediately. I'm impressed. I need some assistance to deal with an unexpected personal issue and the staff was wonderful.

Great location in the middle of Waikiki, you can walk to everything. Amazing value. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Jusr returned from 8 nights at the Ohana East over the Thanksg]iving holidays. The hotel is is a good location, just a block from the beach and everything you could want on your doorstop. On arrival the bellman was very welcoming as were the staff on reception. I only had a couple of occasions to have contact with the reception, but each time the staff member was very helpful,
The room was quite spacious with two double beds, table & chairs and a lounge. Also 2 wardrobes and a good size fridge. Bathroom is not huge but perfectly adequate.
Being able to ride the Pink Trolley for free was a bonus, with the stop just a short walk from the Hotel. Likewise the Bus stop was just around the corner.
I stayed in this Hotel back in 1980 and it has obvously been renovated since then. I have staed in a number of Hotels in Waikiki over the years, and I could certainly return to the Ohana East as it is excellent value for money,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Maui, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Parking is great, not hard to get in an out, lots of room. Front desk okay not very informative, like you can catch the pink trolley to Ala Moana Center an that the pool is on the first floor..etc..etc..etc.. You get where I'm going, been at a sister hotel an it was the best ever. From calling the hotel to inquire on traffic , to the great treatment from front desk clerk. He ran down things to do to catching the pink trolley to get to Ala Moana Center. He also treated our moo'puna (grandchild) with such grace an that left an impression on me. Wanted to go back to that hotel again but had no great deals, this hotel did. It's a nice hotel an the staff is nice, but first impression was not their.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to OHANA Waikiki East Hotel? Share your experiences!