“Great Location, Okay Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #25 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Location, Okay Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Hyatt Place Waikiki is in a phenomenal location! If you're just staying for a couple of nights like we did, it's fine. I wouldn't recommend for long stays for the following reasons:

- Concierge was incredibly difficult to get a hold of before our trip (to book various excursions)
- A/C in room was loud every night and only cooled half of the room
- Room and bathroom were quite small, though bed was comfortable

Room Tip: We stayed on a high floor that was supposed to have a great view, but because the Hyatt is set back...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha Kwalter2011,

Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to read that you felt our hotel was in a phenomenal location. It disappoints us to read if you were unable to get a hold of our Concierge prior to your trip, and if the HVAC unit caused any inconvenience during your stay. If given another opportunity, we hope to welcome you back for a much improved experience.

785 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

As first sight the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach is a really nice family hotel.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

My partner and I stayed at the king sea view room (level 15) in June 13, our room had a good size for both of us, the bathroom and room's furniture looked quite new and funky; the bed was really comfy.

I heard that is better to stay at a high level (if you can pay the difference) in order to get a quieter stay, as some rooms on level 3 to 6, face the pool side where breakfast and food are served.

The hotel has a good price because it does not have many fancy services. For instance, there is no menu for room services; or minibar.

At the hotel there is only two small lifts to take you to your room so in pick times you may need to wait a little bit longer to get in ;)
The hotel provides you with a complimentary hot/cold breakfast at the pool (level 3), the breakfast it's basic and somehow it makes you feel at the school canteen, however the pastries offered are very nice.

The location is really good, it's opposite to the Marriott and just a 5 min walking distance to Waikiki beach.

In summary, I got a really positive experience and I will not hesitate to choose it again, although it's not a place for romantic getaways it's definitely a really nice clean modern hotel, located in a good spot in Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2013
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Aloha Olgs R,
Mahalo for your review and choosing to stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. We are glad you enjoyed our friendly staff, comfortable guest room, and central location. It gives us great pleasure to read that you will not hesitate to stay with us again in the near future!
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Last year we stayed here for five days. I can't believed the room we stayed in was very small for family of four. We did not get upgraded for a bigger room because it was fully booked. Now this coming July 1, 2013 we are coming back and we booked our trip reservation to Expedia. Now, a week before we go, I decided to call just to make sure we have 2 Queen beds when we arrived for check in on July 1,2013. The customer service at front desk said that we only have the regular room assigned for us..and that 2 Queen beds are just aREQUEST not a GUARaANTEED . They informed us to call Expedia. I explained to the customer service of Expedia about the situation and they called the place. Customer Service spoke to Jane, Reservation Manager and said she will try to accommodate us with our request. I'm really hoping Jane will give us a better place to stay because we will be there for 1 week. We are giving this place a second chance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Arvt22,

Mahalo for your review and giving the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach a second chance! We hope you are able to secure your preferred guest room. Please note that we cannot guarantee certain guest room types to our guest, but will do our best to accommodate your request. We hope you enjoy your second stay with us!

walnut creek, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Okay, first let me say that I am a huge fan of Hyatts. I find Hyatt's customer service to always be top notch and the customer service at the Hyatt Place lived up to my expectations. I stay in them as often as I can. I saved up enough points to qualify for a free stay here so I figured why not. Here's why not:

This hotel seems to be an old Holiday Inn or something similar with a Hyatt sign slapped on the front. The rooms, while "updated" still feel more motel-ish than hotel-ish. The walls and windows are paper thin and the noise level in the room was pretty high. We could hear everyone in the hallways as well as street noise below. Granted, there were a ton of young people staying there when I was there. The AC and refrigerator made loud noises too. All of this prevented us from getting a good night's sleep, which is extremely important to me when travelling. I will say that the bed was very comfortable. I am also a platinum passport member and I did not receive any options to upgrade.

The free breakfast was awful. Cold "egg" sandwiches were gross. I guess if you just want cereal or something quick, it's a nice convenient option. Even my teenage boy who is always hungry passed on the breakfast after the first day. The coffee was good and they did have to go cups. The fruit was good also. The breakfast eating area by the pool was pretty dismal too. There was nothing nice about it at all. The pool itself was tiny and not somewhere I would want to lounge. The location, while only a couple of blocks away from the main strip and the beach, felt just a little seedy to me. Honestly, for about $100 more a night, you can stay at the Regency and be treated like royalty. Which is what we opted to do after two nights...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aloha islandfix,
Mahalo for your review. Allow us to apologize if your experience at our hotel did not exceed expectations. As evidenced by our many reviews, we do our best to provide our guests with exceptional stays and apologize that in your case, we missed the mark. Please accept our sincere regrets, and we look forward to another opportunity to provide you with a much improved experience.
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

From the moment I parked my car in front of hotel to the moment I checked-out, all was amazing.
Arrived friday at 3:00pm and the driver from the valet service came and talked to me, asking me if I wanted the valet service, and offered me the self-parking service (USD 15,00/day vs. USD 28,00/day). Once I said self-parking was ok, the guy promptly gave a folder with a map explaining how to reach the garage (which is in the very same building of the hotel, but considering the traffic one has to drive around the block to reach).
After parked, I checked-in. It was soooooooo easy, fast and the guys were always smiling.
Got my ocean viwe room at 14th floor, with an amazing view. Wifi worked properly in every corner of my room.
Bed was comfortable, shower had a great water pressure. Toiletries were good. Towels were great, big and seemed to be new.
About breakfast: they had the very same options you will find in every Hyatt Place in US. Some pancakes, some breads, pastries, butter, cream-cheese, orange juice, yogurt... The only problem is that it is really windy there! How to make it better: there's a tray in everyroom. Take this tray down to breakfast area, pick up all the food and drinks you want, and move back to your room. If you have an ocean view room, it's even better up there than downstairs... And don't worry, it's not "forbidden" to do that... they even encourage guests for it...
The beach: about 100m from the hotel, you can find some white sand, calm, blue and warm sea. And they even offer you some beach towels (ask for them at the front desk).
Don't forget to stop by any ABC store (there's one just beside the hotel) to buy some food and drinks. At Hyatt they have some for guests to buy it, but it's much more expensive than outside.
For sure, recomended!

Room Tip: Stayed at 1415. Quite small, but GREATTTTTT view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Aloha Diego40,
Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had an "amazing" experience at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. It pleases us to read that you enjoyed our tray option to bring your complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet options back to your guest room. Thank you for recommending us, and we look forward to serving you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great place for a week! Enjoy the place and the service. Quality price 100%!
Not really like the deco in the room but it was overall ok.
Will come back again because bf really liked it : clean, quiet, nice location. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice hotel for a couple nights ... We got upgraded to a higher floor with a bigger room because ours wasn't ready! Good start! We had a sofa and coffe table so it was like a suite. Breakfast was pretty good and FREE! Hope you like the birds at the roof top dinning area though cause they liked us. I thought it was fun... So close and yet so reasonable for the neighborhood. Very nice swimming beach was nearby...protected by man made sea wall.. Nice park right there also near zoo, aquarium, diamond head!
Not too bad for just a tad bit over a Benjamin. But we got a deal of course:)

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha Jeniheifer,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to read that you were upgraded upon arrival! That is always a great perk. Also, we are glad you enjoyed our complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet and convenient location. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
Guest Services

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!