“Hyatt? Really?” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
walnut creek, ca
“Hyatt? Really?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Okay, first let me say that I am a huge fan of Hyatts. I find Hyatt's customer service to always be top notch and the customer service at the Hyatt Place lived up to my expectations. I stay in them as often as I can. I saved up enough points to qualify for a free stay here so I figured why not. Here's why not:

This hotel seems to be an old Holiday Inn or something similar with a Hyatt sign slapped on the front. The rooms, while "updated" still feel more motel-ish than hotel-ish. The walls and windows are paper thin and the noise level in the room was pretty high. We could hear everyone in the hallways as well as street noise below. Granted, there were a ton of young people staying there when I was there. The AC and refrigerator made loud noises too. All of this prevented us from getting a good night's sleep, which is extremely important to me when travelling. I will say that the bed was very comfortable. I am also a platinum passport member and I did not receive any options to upgrade.

The free breakfast was awful. Cold "egg" sandwiches were gross. I guess if you just want cereal or something quick, it's a nice convenient option. Even my teenage boy who is always hungry passed on the breakfast after the first day. The coffee was good and they did have to go cups. The fruit was good also. The breakfast eating area by the pool was pretty dismal too. There was nothing nice about it at all. The pool itself was tiny and not somewhere I would want to lounge. The location, while only a couple of blocks away from the main strip and the beach, felt just a little seedy to me. Honestly, for about $100 more a night, you can stay at the Regency and be treated like royalty. Which is what we opted to do after two nights...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha islandfix,
Mahalo for your review. Allow us to apologize if your experience at our hotel did not exceed expectations. As evidenced by our many reviews, we do our best to provide our guests with exceptional stays and apologize that in your case, we missed the mark. Please accept our sincere regrets, and we look forward to another opportunity to provide you with a much improved experience.

775 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

From the moment I parked my car in front of hotel to the moment I checked-out, all was amazing.
Arrived friday at 3:00pm and the driver from the valet service came and talked to me, asking me if I wanted the valet service, and offered me the self-parking service (USD 15,00/day vs. USD 28,00/day). Once I said self-parking was ok, the guy promptly gave a folder with a map explaining how to reach the garage (which is in the very same building of the hotel, but considering the traffic one has to drive around the block to reach).
After parked, I checked-in. It was soooooooo easy, fast and the guys were always smiling.
Got my ocean viwe room at 14th floor, with an amazing view. Wifi worked properly in every corner of my room.
Bed was comfortable, shower had a great water pressure. Toiletries were good. Towels were great, big and seemed to be new.
About breakfast: they had the very same options you will find in every Hyatt Place in US. Some pancakes, some breads, pastries, butter, cream-cheese, orange juice, yogurt... The only problem is that it is really windy there! How to make it better: there's a tray in everyroom. Take this tray down to breakfast area, pick up all the food and drinks you want, and move back to your room. If you have an ocean view room, it's even better up there than downstairs... And don't worry, it's not "forbidden" to do that... they even encourage guests for it...
The beach: about 100m from the hotel, you can find some white sand, calm, blue and warm sea. And they even offer you some beach towels (ask for them at the front desk).
Don't forget to stop by any ABC store (there's one just beside the hotel) to buy some food and drinks. At Hyatt they have some for guests to buy it, but it's much more expensive than outside.
For sure, recomended!

Room Tip: Stayed at 1415. Quite small, but GREATTTTTT view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Aloha Diego40,
Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had an "amazing" experience at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. It pleases us to read that you enjoyed our tray option to bring your complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet options back to your guest room. Thank you for recommending us, and we look forward to serving you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great place for a week! Enjoy the place and the service. Quality price 100%!
Not really like the deco in the room but it was overall ok.
Will come back again because bf really liked it : clean, quiet, nice location. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice hotel for a couple nights ... We got upgraded to a higher floor with a bigger room because ours wasn't ready! Good start! We had a sofa and coffe table so it was like a suite. Breakfast was pretty good and FREE! Hope you like the birds at the roof top dinning area though cause they liked us. I thought it was fun... So close and yet so reasonable for the neighborhood. Very nice swimming beach was nearby...protected by man made sea wall.. Nice park right there also near zoo, aquarium, diamond head!
Not too bad for just a tad bit over a Benjamin. But we got a deal of course:)

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha Jeniheifer,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to read that you were upgraded upon arrival! That is always a great perk. Also, we are glad you enjoyed our complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet and convenient location. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
maroubra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Its not the Hyatt Regency...but its ok... I am a Gold passport holder and got upgraded to a mountain view. Its well worth it anyway, its much more quite.it is at the DIAMOND HEAD end, which in my opinion is better. The rooms are small but nice. The pool is tiny and as mentioned next to where you eat breakfeast. It is free so dont expect too much. Its always windy by the pool so, not pleasant.The staff are wonderful
Hawaii needs a total renovation, starting from the airport, unless you are spending heaps on accomodation, everything is stuck in thd 70's.i have been here heaps of time, you either love it or hate it.

Room Tip: Higher floor, mountain view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha maroubragirl,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to read that you were upgraded to a mountain view guest room upon arrival. Please be aware that we do offer an in-room tray option to bring your breakfast items back to your guest room if the wind is too much of an inconvenience. It would be a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, super clean, huge rooms and wanderful decoration. Very close to waikiki beach, fast foods, Excelent breakfast.definitely the best option near tourist areas, shops and tours well accessible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hyatt Place as part of a family trip. On arrival we were too early for check in (understandable) but left our luggage and returned after lunch. It then emerged that there had been confusion with our booking, and only 2 of the 4 rooms had been booked. Staff sorted this after a while and apologised for the mix up with 'complimentary breakfast added to the duration of your stay'. Upon entering the room, we found that the breakfast is complimentary for ALL guests so we hadn't actually been compensated at all. The staff at check in, although polite, werent all that informative. We hadnt understood that there were 2 towers to the hotel, so lugged our cases all the way up to the right floor in the wrong building to figure out we weren't in the right place. Back down we go!

The hotel is right next to waikiki beach, so great for beach fans. I was extremely disappointed in the pool area here. I prefer to spend the day away from the beach in order to get some shade if needed. Tiny tiny pool, not what I'd expect from a 4 star hotel, so unfortunately spent a lot of time in my room reading with nowhere else to do it.

If there is anything about this hotel I feel NEEDS improving is the breakfast area. There are pigeons EVERYWHERE around the seating area. Small amount of tables, so it is recommended that you bring a tray from your room to collect breakfast and then return to eat there. We did this every morning we ate there, as I do not enjoy pigeons landing beside me on the tables and chairs. I really feel there should be a net or some sort of preventative measure taken against them if that's where the Hyatt has allocated for their guests to eat.

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha Sarah L,
Mahalo for your review. We regret to learn if our staff failed to compensate you appropriately for the trouble you encountered during check-in. It seems that our outdoor pool failed to exceed expectations, and for that we truly apologize. Also, we regret to learn if the birds caused any inconvenience during your stay, but we are working with a professional company to assist us in managing the pigeons. If given another opportunity, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back for a much improved stay.
Guest Services

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!