“Easy to the shore&shops” 4 of 5 stars

Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #25 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Margarita, California
“Easy to the shore&shops”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice hotel for a couple nights ... We got upgraded to a higher floor with a bigger room because ours wasn't ready! Good start! We had a sofa and coffe table so it was like a suite. Breakfast was pretty good and FREE! Hope you like the birds at the roof top dinning area though cause they liked us. I thought it was fun... So close and yet so reasonable for the neighborhood. Very nice swimming beach was nearby...protected by man made sea wall.. Nice park right there also near zoo, aquarium, diamond head!
Not too bad for just a tad bit over a Benjamin. But we got a deal of course:)

• Stayed June 2013
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha Jeniheifer,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to read that you were upgraded upon arrival! That is always a great perk. Also, we are glad you enjoyed our complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet and convenient location. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
maroubra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Its not the Hyatt Regency...but its ok... I am a Gold passport holder and got upgraded to a mountain view. Its well worth it anyway, its much more quite.it is at the DIAMOND HEAD end, which in my opinion is better. The rooms are small but nice. The pool is tiny and as mentioned next to where you eat breakfeast. It is free so dont expect too much. Its always windy by the pool so, not pleasant.The staff are wonderful
Hawaii needs a total renovation, starting from the airport, unless you are spending heaps on accomodation, everything is stuck in thd 70's.i have been here heaps of time, you either love it or hate it.

Room Tip: Higher floor, mountain view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Aloha maroubragirl,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to read that you were upgraded to a mountain view guest room upon arrival. Please be aware that we do offer an in-room tray option to bring your breakfast items back to your guest room if the wind is too much of an inconvenience. It would be a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, super clean, huge rooms and wanderful decoration. Very close to waikiki beach, fast foods, Excelent breakfast.definitely the best option near tourist areas, shops and tours well accessible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hyatt Place as part of a family trip. On arrival we were too early for check in (understandable) but left our luggage and returned after lunch. It then emerged that there had been confusion with our booking, and only 2 of the 4 rooms had been booked. Staff sorted this after a while and apologised for the mix up with 'complimentary breakfast added to the duration of your stay'. Upon entering the room, we found that the breakfast is complimentary for ALL guests so we hadn't actually been compensated at all. The staff at check in, although polite, werent all that informative. We hadnt understood that there were 2 towers to the hotel, so lugged our cases all the way up to the right floor in the wrong building to figure out we weren't in the right place. Back down we go!

The hotel is right next to waikiki beach, so great for beach fans. I was extremely disappointed in the pool area here. I prefer to spend the day away from the beach in order to get some shade if needed. Tiny tiny pool, not what I'd expect from a 4 star hotel, so unfortunately spent a lot of time in my room reading with nowhere else to do it.

If there is anything about this hotel I feel NEEDS improving is the breakfast area. There are pigeons EVERYWHERE around the seating area. Small amount of tables, so it is recommended that you bring a tray from your room to collect breakfast and then return to eat there. We did this every morning we ate there, as I do not enjoy pigeons landing beside me on the tables and chairs. I really feel there should be a net or some sort of preventative measure taken against them if that's where the Hyatt has allocated for their guests to eat.

Aloha Sarah L,
Mahalo for your review. We regret to learn if our staff failed to compensate you appropriately for the trouble you encountered during check-in. It seems that our outdoor pool failed to exceed expectations, and for that we truly apologize. Also, we regret to learn if the birds caused any inconvenience during your stay, but we are working with a professional company to assist us in managing the pigeons. If given another opportunity, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back for a much improved stay.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki. The first time I was so happy with it I just booked it again without even looking at other places. This time I was still happy but there were a few things that weren't ideal so while I definitely wouldn't rule out staying there again I'd probably look around first.

Last time we were in the Diamond Head tower. This time we were in the Pali tower and I think that might've made all the difference. The rooms (our party had two) were just as nice and big but were really noisy. The air conditioners in both rooms sounded like freight trains. I live in the inner city and have never thought of myself as noise sensitive but this really bothered me. I asked reception about it and was told that all the rooms in Pali had that problem. If it's a known issue effecting the whole building, why would it not be fixed? They did kindly offer to move me to the other building but the other problem with Pali is that there are only 2 elevators so you often have to wait for ages - so to get to the other room if I moved would've meant going down in the Diamond Head elevator and back up in the Pali one. So I stayed put and after a couple of nights of trying to get used to the air con noise I just turned it off at night. Also, and this isn't huge because we weren't in the room watching tv much but I'm sure there were better channels on our last trip - seemed like most of the channels now were 24/7 infomercials.

Something that drove me insane and I would've thought could be easily fixed was door slamming - this was constant late at night and early in the morning. Unless people carefully closed the doors - and seems no one does - they slammed so loudly that all the furniture in the rooms would shudder. They have closing mechanisms that probably just need to be adjusted.

The other problem that really impacted our trip - and not sure what the hotel could do about it - was that there was a school band group staying at the same time as us who were really noisy in the halls, stairs, etc. The night they checked in there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night and the whole building was evacuated onto the street. It wasn't fun being woken to a loud alarm and having to walk down hundreds of stairs and then back up them afterwards (would've taken an hour for everyone to get elevators) when it was determined that someone had triggered the false alarm but I REALLY felt bad for all the elderly people and people with babies and small children.

On the good side, all the staff were nice, rooms are very nice and big, breakfast is good - we were there for 10 days and went at all different times and it was never too crowded or low on supplies.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha jayarbee,
Mahalo for your review and deciding to return to the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach! We appreciate your continued loyalty to our hotel, but regret if we fell short of exceeding expectations this time around. Allow us to apologize if the noise from the HVAC unit and guest room doors closing caused any inconvenience, but this will be addressed with our Executive Committee. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience the fire alarm caused during your stay. If given another opportunity, we look forward to regaining your confidence in us and look forward to your next return.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

First time I stayed here and must admit I was a little concerned. Been ripped off on Oahu in the past. My wife and I stayed here from May 19-29 2013. When we arrived the front desk was very friendly and welcomed us to their hotel. The lady at the front desk Fi? Not sure if I am spelling her name correctly was very pleasant. The first room we got was very nice, however the view was horrible. My wife and I spend a lot of time setting on the Lani just relaxing and the view from this room was right into someone's private residence. The front desk immediately upgraded our room with a much better view. Chris who also works at the hotel was kind enough to show us some other rooms to help us make a better decision on where we will stay next visit.
I have seen some complaints on the breakfast that was being served at the hotel. I must say that the FREE breakfast was great! When you consider what it would cost from breakfast at McDonalds on Oahu this saved a considerable amount of money. And the breakfast was GOOD! Watching the hotel employee's working their butt's off to make sure everything was fresh and re-filled when ever it got low was very impressive.
All in all we had a great stay and have already recommended the hotel to friends who are planning their trip to Oahu.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha George1911,
Mahalo for your great review. We are very pleased to read that you were upgraded to a guest room with a great view! Also, we are glad you enjoyed our private in-room lanais and complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet. Thank you for recommending the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach to fellow travelers, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We were in Waikiki for 9 days and stayed one night in this hotel due to our flight back. I already know we will have a bad stay when we checked- in, she wasn't very helpful and friendly. Asked her if we could check out late because our flight is not till 9 pm the next day. Katherine immediately said no they are fully booked, I know they are not because I booked this hotel the night before and they had the room for us. I asked her if I can shower somewhere after I can go to the beach and said no right away, she said we have a bathroom where you can change. Checked in our tiny small room, didn't have space for any of our luggage and a carry on. Tiny bathroom, but a nice shower. Bed is ok too soft for my taste with a heavy comforter. Big flat screen TV but hardly have any channels. I asked her for a higher floor and got 7th floor facing a wall and a pool view. The swimming pool is a joke very tiny with about 5 lounge chairs, but we didn't use it, went to the beach but my husband stayed in the room. The beach is about 3 blocks away. When I came back from the beach I went to the front desk, got a different girl. I told her our situation and told her I'm willing to pay an extra charge and she said no also but she offered a hospitality room where I can shower, from 3 till 3:30. To make my story short, next day we checked out at noon. They put away our suitcases where you can see it, our shuttle to the airport doesn't get there until 6:30 pm so we have 6 hour wait. I went to the beach and my husband decided to stay and lounge at the hotel where a lot of people are sitting around talking. Came back from the beach at 2 pm, my husband talking to a man and his wife taking a nap on the chair. My time comes up for hospitality room and took a shower, I get back my husband is not there look around didn't see him. I asked the guy he was talking to and he said his in a police car being arrested, didn't see my husband and I asked the police where he is at and he said he almost got arrested and the man from the hotel said he got kicked and saw my husband with our luggages a block away crying, mad and confused. My husband told me he took a nap lying on the chair while I was gone taking a shower and a man woke him up from his nap asking if he's staying in the hotel and asked him what room did he stay. My husband couldn't think what room we were in, he got waken up by this man harassing my husband and called the police on him! For what? We stayed there waiting for the shuttle, it was only about 3:30, our shuttle doesn't come until 6:30. Now we're standing in front of another hotel with our luggages nowhere to sit and my husband very upset and still crying and yelling at the stupid manager. You can see this manager should not work for any hotel because he has no customer service and no hospitality. He didn't kick out the rest of the people in there lounging and taking a nap. He discriminated and harassed my husband because he's black!! I will never stay in this hotel again, thank goodness it's only one day. By the way the free breakfast is ok, nothing to brag about. Hawaii is supposed to be friendly people but we got rude manager that doesn't know how to deal with the situation we were in, I didn't get his name.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!