“Fantastic budget hotel to use as a 'home base'” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic budget hotel to use as a 'home base'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hyatt Place is the place to stay when you are serious about seeing the rest of Hawaii. Located down the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, it is one block from the beach and close to bars, restaurants and public transport. The rooms are clean with modern furniture, comfy beds, large flat screeen tvs, they have a free buffet breakfast with good options to start the day and free wifi and computers to use in their lobbies. There is also an Expedia tour desk to book your daily excursions which is very helpful. This is not the place to stay on honeymoon or a luxury getaway, their pool is tiny - you will not use it. Hawaii is awesome, do not stay in your hotel room and do not spend all your time in Waikiki. This hotel is perfect for someone wanting a clean, nice room with free breakfast (which is hard to find in hawaii) to use as their home base as they travel around the beautiful island of Oahu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a really well done hotel. It is only a block off the beach and close to the action of down town Honolulu. The rooms are very well done and the public rooms are well maintained. It is not a full service hotel but it does have the service you need. You can get a drink at happy hour and light food through out the day. Free breakfast is always a bonus but it does get crowded and windy. The staff were very kind and helpful. This is a great bargin given the going rate for other hotels in the area. I enjoyed this more than our stay at Turtle Bay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed for a week at this hotel for our trip to Oahu. We received a complementary upgrade to a mountain view which was really sweet. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is very clean, our housekeepers Leonida and Mirla did such an awesome job refreshing our rooms every day. The staff is always so helpful with our needs. The daily breakfast is also a good deal. The distance to Waikiki Beach is really great, and there are so many nearby restaurants and stores around.

Now this is just a heads-up to the travelers: this hotel only has valet parking. We rented a car throughout this trip and my husband and I both think that might have been a mistake. PARKING is the number one issue when visiting this place.

Luckily, heeding a fellow Tripadvisor's review and the hotel's valet staff, we ended up parking across the street at the Waikiki Banyan, which was $12/night. (Also available for $72/week, but we realized this after they increased the nightly rate to $15/night). So, it was really a crazy dilemma between $28valet at the hotel that we're staying at vs. $15 across the street, self-park. We spent $130 for parking alone. That was my only trouble with this hotel. If you are renting a car, be prepared to pay for this.

Waikiki beach is a beautiful beach, but coming from a tropical country, I think it is average. The number of homeless people along the stretch of the beach and the streets is what's disturbing.

But going back to the hotel, I would recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
North Augusta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice location with quick access to the beach. The first room we were put into was so unbelievably small for three people. It had one bed with a small pull out "bed". the pull out was 1/2 the size of a twin bed, and that filled up the room, with no walking space between the bed and the pull-out. When I asked to be moved I was made to pay $100.00 for an upgrade. This did not start my vacation out well. After the move we were somewhat satisfied. Breakfast was generally good. I really liked that it was included.

Room Tip: Do not take the lowest category room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is nothing not to like about Hyatt Place. The location is fantastic (a two-minute walk to the beach, a slew of restaurants and world-class shopping). The rooms are a nice size, crisply furnished and very comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful, and I thought the breakfast buffet - which I try to avoid in most hotels - was very good. By which I mean the pastries seemed to come from a bakery that cares, the Kona coffee was hot and delicious and the bacon-and-egg-on-a-bun thingie was fab. And, of course, the place was immaculate and the Wifi was "free." That said, the view wasn't much and it's not a hotel that will wow you with doric columns, wave-pools and a four-story atrium. It's just really nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been to Honolulu several times over the past 2 years for business and have stayed at the Hyatt Place for several of those visits. This time was a bit disappointing, especially since I was finally able to bring my wife with me.

The staff seemed just a bit less attentive than previous trips - when we arrived to check in, there were two front desk staff chatting casually with a guest while we stood there awkwardly for several minutes waiting. Once we got to our room, I was a bit dismayed to see that we were given a rather small room - not the larger suite I was given on previous trips and booked for this trip. I was told this was an "upgrade" since I could see a sliver of mountain from the window. I would have traded view for space in this case. I called down pretty much every morning and was told that they weren't sure what they had available, or they weren't sure, or they didn't have anything.

Breakfast was the standard Hyatt Place menu - some sort of breakfast sandwich that rotated every morning, along with fresh fruit (why does the pineapple just plain taste better in Hawaii?), yogurt, and assorted pastries/carbs. The coffee was actually very good and I always took a cup to go.

Be warned ahead of time - especially if you've never been to Waikiki - it's a magnet for Japanese and other asian tourists. This is not necessarily a bad thing - I think it's great for the local economy. They do, however, come with a different set of rules and etiquette, particularly when it comes to anything where a bit of order might be expected. Lines are non-existent and people tend to either swarm, walk in front of you if they want something, or otherwise not pay attention to where they're going. Again, not "bad" - just different, and if you're someone who's used to order, this might throw you off some. With that in mind, it can make breakfast an interesting, free for all dining experience. The menu does tend to get a little old after a few days, but it's free, convenient, and if you're really tired of it, there are lots of other places in the area to walk to.

I prefer this property because it's down on the end of "the strip", so it's a little less hectic than the properties smack in the middle. The Sans Souci beach is not too far, and from what I read, one the locals prefer. It's actually nice to be on one end of the strip because you can just walk down one way and back, making a clean loop.

As with all other hotels in the area, the driveway is way too small for the amount of vehicle traffic that comes through. That can make getting a car in/out with the valet service a bit of a challenge at times. The valet staff also seemed hit or miss - hustling at times, disappearing at times.

Another neat thing is that there's a pretty good bike/scooter rental right next door - my wife took a scooter one day while I was at work and promptly claimed that it was one of the top three days of her life - they were very friendly, polite, and took the time to cover all contingencies.

Overall, it was fine for what we needed - a bed, shower, and free breakfast to boot. It was just a little "off" from my previous visits, and I found that a little disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I couldn't say enough good things about this hotel!

From the time that I booked my reservation until check-out, I was very impressed by the service and the quality of the hotel. I came here on a girls trip, with my mom, best friend, and her mom and all four of us really enjoyed our time at Hyatt Place Waikiki. We booked deluxe rooms and the staff were able to accommodate our request for connecting rooms. These rooms were very large, tastefully decorated, and the housekeeping for a "select service" hotel was spot-on. We enjoyed breakfast every morning, which tasted great and was also a nice way to start off our mornings. The staff here are equally as important to mention--everyone from reservations, valet, reception, housekeeping, bartenders, and cooks were extremely nice and seemed to be having a good time. We called down a couple times to request things and the staff were always friendly and eager to help. Special mention to the person that checked us out, he was one of the nicest people that I have encountered in my travels! I only wish he was wearing a name tag so I could have mentioned him here!

One thing I will say, is if you are deciding between here and one of the Waikiki resorts... I have stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, and I didn't miss the pool scene whatsoever--after all we were in Hawaii and enjoying the beaches!

Another thing to mention is that this hotel is not on the beach, but we thoroughly enjoyed our walk down to the thick of Waikiki every morning! Maybe it's a 10 minute walk, but it's definitely not a site for sore eyes. There is also a $12 parking lot across from the hotel (with in and out privileges)--really you can't beat this place!

Room Tip: go for the deluxe room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!