“Just average” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Augusta
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice location with quick access to the beach. The first room we were put into was so unbelievably small for three people. It had one bed with a small pull out "bed". the pull out was 1/2 the size of a twin bed, and that filled up the room, with no walking space between the bed and the pull-out. When I asked to be moved I was made to pay $100.00 for an upgrade. This did not start my vacation out well. After the move we were somewhat satisfied. Breakfast was generally good. I really liked that it was included.

Room Tip: Do not take the lowest category room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is nothing not to like about Hyatt Place. The location is fantastic (a two-minute walk to the beach, a slew of restaurants and world-class shopping). The rooms are a nice size, crisply furnished and very comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful, and I thought the breakfast buffet - which I try to avoid in most hotels - was very good. By which I mean the pastries seemed to come from a bakery that cares, the Kona coffee was hot and delicious and the bacon-and-egg-on-a-bun thingie was fab. And, of course, the place was immaculate and the Wifi was "free." That said, the view wasn't much and it's not a hotel that will wow you with doric columns, wave-pools and a four-story atrium. It's just really nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been to Honolulu several times over the past 2 years for business and have stayed at the Hyatt Place for several of those visits. This time was a bit disappointing, especially since I was finally able to bring my wife with me.

The staff seemed just a bit less attentive than previous trips - when we arrived to check in, there were two front desk staff chatting casually with a guest while we stood there awkwardly for several minutes waiting. Once we got to our room, I was a bit dismayed to see that we were given a rather small room - not the larger suite I was given on previous trips and booked for this trip. I was told this was an "upgrade" since I could see a sliver of mountain from the window. I would have traded view for space in this case. I called down pretty much every morning and was told that they weren't sure what they had available, or they weren't sure, or they didn't have anything.

Breakfast was the standard Hyatt Place menu - some sort of breakfast sandwich that rotated every morning, along with fresh fruit (why does the pineapple just plain taste better in Hawaii?), yogurt, and assorted pastries/carbs. The coffee was actually very good and I always took a cup to go.

Be warned ahead of time - especially if you've never been to Waikiki - it's a magnet for Japanese and other asian tourists. This is not necessarily a bad thing - I think it's great for the local economy. They do, however, come with a different set of rules and etiquette, particularly when it comes to anything where a bit of order might be expected. Lines are non-existent and people tend to either swarm, walk in front of you if they want something, or otherwise not pay attention to where they're going. Again, not "bad" - just different, and if you're someone who's used to order, this might throw you off some. With that in mind, it can make breakfast an interesting, free for all dining experience. The menu does tend to get a little old after a few days, but it's free, convenient, and if you're really tired of it, there are lots of other places in the area to walk to.

I prefer this property because it's down on the end of "the strip", so it's a little less hectic than the properties smack in the middle. The Sans Souci beach is not too far, and from what I read, one the locals prefer. It's actually nice to be on one end of the strip because you can just walk down one way and back, making a clean loop.

As with all other hotels in the area, the driveway is way too small for the amount of vehicle traffic that comes through. That can make getting a car in/out with the valet service a bit of a challenge at times. The valet staff also seemed hit or miss - hustling at times, disappearing at times.

Another neat thing is that there's a pretty good bike/scooter rental right next door - my wife took a scooter one day while I was at work and promptly claimed that it was one of the top three days of her life - they were very friendly, polite, and took the time to cover all contingencies.

Overall, it was fine for what we needed - a bed, shower, and free breakfast to boot. It was just a little "off" from my previous visits, and I found that a little disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I couldn't say enough good things about this hotel!

From the time that I booked my reservation until check-out, I was very impressed by the service and the quality of the hotel. I came here on a girls trip, with my mom, best friend, and her mom and all four of us really enjoyed our time at Hyatt Place Waikiki. We booked deluxe rooms and the staff were able to accommodate our request for connecting rooms. These rooms were very large, tastefully decorated, and the housekeeping for a "select service" hotel was spot-on. We enjoyed breakfast every morning, which tasted great and was also a nice way to start off our mornings. The staff here are equally as important to mention--everyone from reservations, valet, reception, housekeeping, bartenders, and cooks were extremely nice and seemed to be having a good time. We called down a couple times to request things and the staff were always friendly and eager to help. Special mention to the person that checked us out, he was one of the nicest people that I have encountered in my travels! I only wish he was wearing a name tag so I could have mentioned him here!

One thing I will say, is if you are deciding between here and one of the Waikiki resorts... I have stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, and I didn't miss the pool scene whatsoever--after all we were in Hawaii and enjoying the beaches!

Another thing to mention is that this hotel is not on the beach, but we thoroughly enjoyed our walk down to the thick of Waikiki every morning! Maybe it's a 10 minute walk, but it's definitely not a site for sore eyes. There is also a $12 parking lot across from the hotel (with in and out privileges)--really you can't beat this place!

Room Tip: go for the deluxe room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Although the hotel employees were very helpful, the stay was unpleasant because the mattress sagged, the pillows gave no support, a light near the wall-mounted air conditioning unit flashed randomly throughout the night, and an alarm clock went off early in the morning blaring loud music. Room was advertised as "ocean view" but other buildings mostly blocked the view. Breakfast was mediocre.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Hyatt Place for 6 nights in April 2013. Reading all the reviews here and looking at the pictures, I obviously had my expectations too high.
I read the hotel was renovated in 2012 and I was disappointed - the hotel just didn't looked renovated at all to me. It just looked old inside - the walls,the carpets, the furniture, the bathroom, the bath room accessories - everything looked cheap... and our room was s
Other than that, I had no complaints, everything was great - the staff was so polite and friendly, there was free breakfast and the pool area was large enough. Location was perfect.
I would recommend this hotel and we left content with our choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed a week at this Hotel at the far end of Waikiki Beach where it is quieter but has less in the way of restaurants and cafe's. The hotel itself is what you would expect for a Hyatt in a busy holiday location, the room was large enough, clean and tidy. Our only disappointment was that the bathroom was on the small side with only the toilet and shower behind a door, after using the toilet you had to come out to wash in the vanity. Not the ideal setup. Staff were fine and we enjoyed our stay. The bus stop was within a 2 minute walk, very handy. We did find the hotels in Hawaii on the expensive side. As for the free breakfast we only used this once and that was on the first morning. It was a buffet and the "hot" food looked and tasted like plastic. However, we found a hotel with a great breakfast within a 5 minute walk, eggs any style, bacon and hash browns much more to our taste, but of course at $12 a head. Our holiday was great, relaxing and the weather was good all week, no rain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Aloha BERTIE14,
Mahalo for your review. It pleases us to read that you enjoyed our quiet location at the end of Waikiki Beach, but regret it our guest bathroom layout and a.m. Kitchen Skillet breakfast offerings were not to your liking. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again and exceed your expectations.
Mahalo nui loa,
Guest Services

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!