If you've been reading up on this hotel, you've read mostly good reviews. We stayed here for a week in April 2013, and here's the good and the bad:
Great location - quick access to the beach and good restaurants
Cheap parking - garage across the street ($12/day or $70/week) Resorts charge around $27/day so this is a definite plus.
Modern - love the sleek and updated look and everything was clean.
Free breakfast - this is definitely a plus and very convenient so I'm giving it a thumbs up, but it does need some tweaking. We ate french toast at the airport our last day in Hawaii and we all thought that was the best breakfast we had on vacation (if that gives you any indicator as to taste of the free breakfast buffet.)
Beds - comfortable and not too soft or firm, good quality sheets, down pillows.
Free Wifi - glad it's free but it's also quite slow. We used our hotspot most of the time instead.
No Resort Fee - good grief why do hotels even have this charge? Thank you Hyatt Place for not squeezing more money out of your patrons.
Beach Towels - just pick them up at the front desk, super convenient not to have to pack them.
Beach Toys for Kids - they give you a complimentary beach pail set when you check in. Nice!
Showers - love that you can change the spray on shower handle, good pressure and water was nice and hot! Plus there is a clothes line you can pull out/retract to hang swimsuits on to dry. Thank you!
Mini Fridge - left empty so you can use it for whatever. We filled it with Diet Coke and water bottles purchased from Safeway up the road.
ADA Compliant room - don't know why we got this room as we aren't in need of this, ended up being a perk as it is bigger than a standard room and the bathroom is larger too.
Balcony - didn't expect a balcony at all, so this was nice even though we didn't really use it.
Laundry Facilities - So convenient, especially if you have kids! $1.50 for tide, $3 to wash, $3 to dry.
Exercise Room - conveniently located next to laundry room, so worked out while waiting for laundry to finish. They need to crank the ac in there as it got a little warm while working out.
Teddy's Bigger Burger - right around the corner. Ate here 3 times it is that good - put cheese on your fries cuz you're on vacation!
Noisy - they seriously need to upgrade to noise canceling windows as the street noise is nuts! Every night we were wakened by blaring sirens, and there was constant idling noise from diesel engines (tour busses, etc.) Hotel was fully booked so we couldn't change rooms to a quieter side of the hotel. I doubt it would be that much quieter though as Waikiki is full of activity at all hours.
Incredibly Slow Elevators - we often opted to take the stairs as we were on the 4th floor. Everybody waiting for the elevators complained about this, including employees.
Noise from stair well - our room was right next to stair well and we joked that it sounded like a heard of elephants as people opted to use stairwell due to slow elevators.
Bathroom Vent - ours didn't work even though a maintenance guy said it was working (he pointed a flashlight to show that the fan was spinning - but there was absolutely no air flow or whirring noise and meant that our bathroom stayed warm and humid.)
The good definitely outweighs the bad, and it's always better to know what to expect if you are considering this hotel for your vacation. In all I feel the hotel was a great value compared to staying at a resort hotel in Waikiki. Hyatt Place Waikiki, if you are reading this . . . you are almost a 10! Consider looking into something to help with noise and elevator issues as those are your weakest points.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach is conveniently located on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and just a 3-minute walk to the golden sands of Waikiki Beach, the 100% smoke-free Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach is a spring board to many activities and attractions for the visitor on the go. Complimentary a.M. Kitchen Skillet™ breakfast available in our Guest Kitchen, featuring freshly prepared breakfast sandwiches, waffles, French toast, pancakes and oatmeal, and Asian specialties. New Gallery Menu, Fresh 24/7 with mouthwatering options including our signature flatbreads & more. Intimate Bakery Cafe serves Starbucks(R) specialty coffees & teas, premium beers, wines & cocktails. Signature cocktails include: Mai Tai, Pina Coloda or Mojito. Complimentary 24-hour Stay Fit(R) fitness center with Life Fitness(R) cardio equipment located on the third floor. Sliding door access to the pool deck. Self parking: $20 daily fee. Valet parking: $30 daily fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Resort Honolulu
- Ocean Resort Hotel Waikiki Honolulu
- Ocean Resort Hotel Waikiki Oahu
- Ocean Waikiki Hotel
- Ocean Resort Hawaii
- Hawaii Ocean Resort
- Ocean Resort Waikiki
- Ocean Hotel Waikiki
- Ocean Hotel Honolulu
- Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach Hawaii/Honolulu