“Good hotel if you get the right room.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel if you get the right room.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in a large room with mountain views. Everything about the room was of good quality. We had a small balcony and a large sofa as well as two queen beds, which were incredibly comfy.The breakfast options were varied and it was nice to be able to sit outside although it was quite windy. The hotel is very close to the beach, just one block away, so it's in a perfect spot. Although the work on Waikiki beach wasn't finished while I was there it wasn't a problem, I just walked up a little further. I understand that it is now finished however. When I returned to the hotel the night before flying home for one night we were placed in a room which wasn't as nice as the original room. It was certainly smaller (although still perfectly adequate) and it was on the second floor so it was a bit more noisy (street noise) but having said that I have a lot of trouble sleeping and didn't find it to be problem. There was also work going on at that side of the hotel and when we encountered very loud drilling we did ask to be moved and they said they would gladly move us. The only real problem I had here was when I had an early departure and was to be collected by the Speedishuttle. I called ahead to inform reception that I was expecting them and to make sure they knew my name as I wasn't down on the booking, in case they arrived early. As predicted speedishuttle came early and the hotel did not inform me so when I cam down I had missed the bus and had to wait 40 minutes for another one. This was partly because the manager was very relaxed and said they would arrive and i should just relax and wait, it was only when I spoke to another member of staff that the mistake was realised. I have to say though, once they realised the mistake he was very quick at calling the driver and they came over within 5 minutes to collect me.

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a room which is on a higher floor as the ground level rooms can be a bit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear travelicious01,
Mahalo for your review. Sounds like you had a nice guest room during the initial part of your stay with us, but apologize if the construction noise caused any major inconvenience. We regret to learn of the inconveniences you encountered with scheduling transportation, but glad that the driver was able to come back and pick you up right away. We will use your comments as an example to work on strengthening the communication between our gallery hosts and guests in the future. Thank you for staying at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach and we hope to be of service to you again.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Why pay $400+ for LESS options at another hotel? This hotel is totally remodeled, has an OUTSTANDING breakfast and free wifi for a fraction of the cost of "nicer" hotels closer to the beach. The extra 5 minute walk off the beach will not bother you one bit and you will save hundreds during a multiple day trip.

Dear PedroMan83,
Mahalo for your very kind review of the all new Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. We are thrilled to hear that you felt our breakfast a.m. Kitchen Skillet was Outstanding. Fellow readers will be excited to hear your tips on why they should stay at our hotel.
El Dorado Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We've been here for almost a week, leaving tomorrow. I did a last-minute switch from the Hyatt Regency to this newly remodeled Hyatt Place because of price/Hyatt Gold Passport Points, free internet, free breakfast & cheaper parking. Glad I did! We really have enjoyed the hotel & staff. Stayed in a "City View/Deluxe" room #1739. The view isn't great (opposite side of the ocean), so all we see are other hotels & apartments & an elementary school. It's sup rising how, on the 17th floor, the noise just echoes. Not faulting the hotel at all, but boy is it noisy in the late hours (delivery trucks, people talking on the streets, sirens). I'm sure Hyatt Regency is noisier with the police station across the street, which is one reason I changed my mind. Breakfast choices here are multiple......2 kinds of hot sandwiches each day (biscuit, egg, bacon, cheese, bagels), french toast or waffles, mixed fruit, cottage cheese & berries, various cereals, granola, yogurt, breads & toasts, muffins, pastries, every juice you can imagine, coffee, tea. If you can't find something to your liking, you've got a problem! Never had a problem finding a seat, but choose close to a wall or it's windy....or use the tray provided in your room to carry breakfast back to your room to eat it at the small table or desk. Small pool and we didn't use it. Walked across to the beach instead. It's just a block. Bought meals often at the Hyatt for about $9 a meal. Very helpful & friendly staff. Always willing to take us to our room when we couldn't get the key to work (need to scan your key to move the elevator or get into guest laundry, workout room, etc). Everything is brand new in this hotel. Comfortable for the 3 of us (2 adults & a 13 year old boy). Shower (no tub) with sink outside toilet area is helpful. Large desk for schoolwork. Hide-a-bed. $12 nightly parking at the Banyan Hotel across the street from Hyatt (diagonally). Cheeseburger in Paradise a block away, Wolfgang Puck's on the corner (all about $10 a meal), ABC store right next door. We made a great hotel pick!

Room Tip: City View is noisy. I'm not sure about the rest of the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear menicksmom,
Mahalo for your review. We hope you and your family had an enjoyable stay at the all new Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. We are thrilled to hear you decided to use your Hyatt Gold Passport Points and book a stay with us. It is wonderful to learn that our staff exceeded your expectations, and we will be sure to share your kind praises with the team. Our apologies if the noise factor caused any inconvenience or distraction while you were a guest here. On the other hand, it seems you really enjoyed our a.m. Kitchen Skillet options available in the Guest Kitchen. This a.m. Kitchen Skillet has become a big hit amongst our guests. We hope to invite you back for another exceptional stay!
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend 21-23 April. Arrived on a morning flight and went to the hotel hoping to be able to drop my bags. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that as my room was clean and I could go up (this was around 11am, maybe earlier). After an overnight flight it was great to be able to freshen up before heading out for the day. The room was lovely, on the lowest floor but I didn't really notice any noise outside. Nice comfortable king bed with gorgeous feather pillows, which are great because you can mould them to your needs. Yes there is beach construction, it apparently happens about every 5 years right along the beach. There is plenty of beach either side of it a very short walk away so I certainly did not find it to be an issue. The staff were all really nice and friendly, I asked one of the cleaning staff how to use the shower (you turn it to adjust the temperature rather than pressure, it's either on or off - something we don't have in Australia) he was more than happy to explain it to me and was really nice about it (I was half expecting a 'what are you an idiot' look after I realised how simple it was). The air conditioner was great, nice and new like everything in the room and worked really well to keep the room comfortable. There was a huge 42" flatscreen TV, which to be honest I didn't even turn on, but nice to know it was there. The breakfast was nice, good range of items to choose from, only thing I'd suggest is not getting there too late as it really does finish at 10am.

I would definitely recommend this place, the staff, rooms, atmosphere are all really nice - I couldn't fault it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Fiona B,
Mahalo for sharing your kind review. We are happy to hear that you were able to check-in to your guest room early and freshen up. Also, we are glad you were able to enjoy the beach even though the beach expansion project was taking place during your stay. Please do not worry about asking our staff any questions you may have, especially in regards to turning on the shower. There is no such thing as a stupid question in the U.S.A! Overall, we are pleased to learn how comfortable you were with the new in-room amenities and complimentary hot breakfast (i.e. a.m. Kitchen Skillet). We hope to be of service to you again if your travels bring you back to Waikiki Beach!
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Of the many hotels I have stayed in Waikiki the Hyatt Place appears to be an extremely good deal. The included breakfast is a little limited in choices but still good and enjoyable by the pool on the third floor deck. The room was clean and full of light. Nice size TV, comfortable desk and corner reading chair. Very small balcony. Nice large shower and free wifi.
In the lobby there is a bar with a limited selection of beverages but perfect for a night cap, if needed. The hotel is one block from Waikiki beach, the Zoo, and endless stores and restaurants.
Staff was friendly and helpful when needed

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were there for an eight night stay. Rooms are large, very clean with balconies- over city streets. We were on the Penthouse floor and traffic noise still was easily heard when the door to the balcony was open. The beds were superior in cleanliness and comfort. Lovely lobby area and very friendly staff at desk and elsewhere. Breakfast was a nice surprise, however not enough staff on some busier mornings to keep up with refreshing the food and coffees. One block easy walk to the beach and shoppes. If you are looking for a regular 'Hyatt experince' then stay there, and not at Hyatt Place. However, if you are looking for a clean, very up to date, stylish hotel with good amenities at a good price then stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available (goes up to 20) if you plan to use the nice balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Mahalo for your extended stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. We are glad you enjoyed our large guest rooms and individual lanais. Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the staff attending our breakfast area on busier mornings, we will address this with the appropriate departments. It would be a pleasure to invite you back and be of service to you again.
Mahalo Lui Noa,
rochester, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The last time I stayed in Hawaii was at the Fairmount on the big Island. So I was unsure of what to expect staying in the city and a 3 star hotel. I traveled with my boyfriend and we are both in out 30's. We stayed April 23-28.

Before traveling I called with several questions and the front desk staff was able to provide an answer for everything.

Check-in was very easy and I enjoyed the added security provided by needing your key to get up the elevator. You may think this is a bother at first because its not routine to have to do this in an elevator, but after you realize how many people could come and go especially with the open lobby its a nice feature. There are apples in the lobby when you check in which is nice if you've been traveling.

We requested a room on a high floor which we got. We came to do some photography, and although the view wasn't great, we could see Diamond Head from the side balcony. The room was spacious enough for our needs, especially considering we weren't there to lounge in the room. The bathroom was small but I was glad that the sink was separated from the shower and toilet; it would have made it very difficult to get ready if everything occupied one space. There is a fridge in the room which was great, along with a safe, and iron. We were on the 19th floor and there was a lot of wind whistling through the room. This was easily solved by putting a towel on the floor next to the door to act as a damper. Beds and pillows were comfortable; we got 2 queen beds and preferred a king, but not a big deal. I can see how the room could be a little noisy if you're not used to a city, but you are in a city, so I don't think you can complain. If you are going to get a hotel on the MAIN strip be prepared for more noise, as there are people playing instruments, etc. until at least 10:30 pm. Air conditioning worked very well.

The lobby has computer access which is nice. We brought a portable hard drive to dump our memory cards and it worked well but took a long time. There is a bar in the lobby and food available "24/7" which was a little misleading, since we got in at 11 pm one night expecting to get a pizza or something else from their menu and was told there was only sandwiches to have. Then the bar tender didn't have change. There is no room service here, which is a draw back in these instances.

Breakfast in the morning was great and a huge money saver as far as I'm concerned. There were sandwiches which they did make custom for a us because we don’t eat ham. There were waffles and pancakes on alternating days, fruit, bagels, toast, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, and pretty good coffee. The only grip about the coffee was that they only had single serve creamers, and it would have been nice to have cream fresh. The breakfast area is VERY WINDY! Unless you are sitting in the alcove area. There are birds flying around, but if people didn't insist on feeding them, they probably wouldn’t be such a bother.

There are towel available to take to the beach and you can park for $10 a day across the street at the Waikiki Banyan Hotel (going up to $12/day May 1) although still quite a bargain in Waikiki. Pool is small, but we weren't there to lounge at the pool.

I found the hotel centrally located to the zoo, aquarium, and all the shopping. We walked the whole strip every night and was within 1 mile. GREAT SHOPPING!! I couldn't believe how many high end designers are in that area! Also a lot of great local stuff and ABC's on every corner. There are also places to go at the international market every night for a free Hawaiian show.

The Hotel is a block from the beach, and there is construction going on but in no way does it interfere with you enjoying the water or sight seeing. There are plenty of other areas, you just need to walk 50 yards.

Check-out was a breeze, and you can stay until 12pm which is a huge bonus if you have a late flight.

I would definitly stay here again. If you have kids seems kid friendly as well.

Dear loverlylyllah,
Mahalo for your very candid and thorough review of your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. We hope you had a memorable stay with your boyfriend. Glad to hear that your check-in process was very easy. Our apologies if our 24/7 menu was misleading at all, and wish we were able to offer you a pizza instead of sandwiches during that particular time. We trust you were able to get your change from the hotel eventually, if not please contact us immediately and let us know. We are sorry if the absence of room service caused any inconvenience, but all Hyatt Place hotels are select service and do not offer this particular amenity. It disappoints us to hear if the breakfast area was too windy during your stay. We will be sure to take your comments into consideration to find ways to compensate for the wind tunnel on the patio area moving forward. We hope to be of service to you again in the future!
Guest Services

Been to Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!