“Delightful! Comfy and beautiful. Did not disappoint, and we'll go back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manoa Valley Inn

You added Manoa Valley Inn to your Saves list
Manoa Valley Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2001 Vancouver Drive, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96822   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Carmel, California
“Delightful! Comfy and beautiful. Did not disappoint, and we'll go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

My wife and I found out just prior to our arrival in Honolulu that our beachfront accomodations would not be available until the day after we arrived. I thought we might enjoy something a little different than the beachfront resort thing our first night, so I (somewhat nervously) reserved a night in the Davies Room at the Manoa Valley Inn in Honolulu, near the University district. We were not disappointed, and it was a beautiful, peaceful and comfortable one-night stay.

The owner, Theresa, met us on check-in and kindly helped us with ice, and with information about the room, the grounds, breakfast, bottled water, etc., and we got settled into the room after a brutal day of travel--about fifteen hours' worth by the time we got to the Inn.

The Davies Room is on the third (top) floor of this charming and historic Inn, and it has a private bathroom. (If you're really tall like I am, you need to be a little careful moving around in the bathroom and shower, or you can use the full-sized antique bathtub in the hall bathroom.) This room has a wonderful view of the expansive lights of Waikiki, but from a nice, quiet distance. We found the bed to be wonderful and extremely comfy, and the room was clean and very tastefully appointed. (I enjoyed the Maxfield Parrish print of "Daybreak" in our room... it's so full of peace and ecstasy.) The screened windows were all open when we entered the room and we left them open all night long. The peaceful sounds, the soft lights, the gentle breeze, and a nice ceiling fan provided a wonderful ambience that helped us begin our "decompression" and relaxation process.

Our bodies were on Colorado time, so we naturally woke up at 6 a.m., and everything was still very peaceful, except that the most wonderful bird songs were now being performed for us--it was quite enchanting. I'm an opera singer, and one of the birds sang a song that reminded me of the Queen of the Night aria from Mozart's "Magic Flute." (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

My wife, a professional hairstylist, had forgotten her shampoo, and she commented that she was impressed with the quality of the hair products in the room--in case anyone is wondering.

We went down for breakfast promptly at 7:30 and were very happy to find delicious fruit (pineapple, apple and some fantastic papaya) along with delicious coffee, orange juice, hard-boiled eggs and breads for toasting. The beautiful veranda had lovely views of the lush and well-kept grounds. My wife, who doesn't share my "lumberjack" breakfast tastes, was happy with all of it ("perfect"), and so was I.

Unfortunately, we didn't get an opportunity to try out the heated salt-water pool in the garden (available to discreet guests anytime day or night), but we really enjoyed a short walk around the yard and the gardens. There are some lovely places to relax and smoke outside in designated areas. Unfortunately, I hadn't hit the cigar shop yet, but I regretted not having the opportunity to have a nice, quiet smoke out in the lush backyard.

Theresa helped us with directions to local shopping in the neighborhood, and also kindly passed along her insider tips for eating and beach-activities on the island.

We're looking forward to going back, and we recommend this property whole-heartedly to anyone who is looking for a simple, lovely and comfortable stay at a reasonable price.

• Liked — Peaceful, comfy bed, clean room, with a great view of the city lights.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Honolulu, HI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Manoa Valley Inn needs a fresh, energetic proprietor to relieve the owner of the task of running a business that her heart is not in. The Inn has such potential - financial and community-serving that is sadly being ignored. The current owner has had the Inn on and off the market for years - making it clear to guests that the interest in successfully running a for-profit Inn isn't what she wants to be doing. Therefore, I am writing this review critically and candidly, since the owner is an acquaintance of mine. Purchasing an historical landmark in Hawaii is a huge decision - I am seeking an investor who would like to work with me to revive the Inn and provide visitors the most wonderful Bed & Breakfast experience they'll ever have. After staying at the Inn myself as Housekeeper for 6 months, I have keen insight into what needs to be done. I have a detailed business plan and am looking forward to hearing from an investor/ business partner who would like to take on this project. Many people have had a wonderful time at the Inn over the years - but now is the time for a fresh revival !

• Stayed March 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at a number of bed and breakfasts and and have had wonderful experiences but this was not one I can add to this list.

The Moana Valley Inn was dissapointing. The hosts were helpful but we felt they were weary of the whole B&B thing and were just biding time until they sell (The inn is on the market).
The house & decor would have been beautiful in its time but now looked tired, faded and unloved.
Breakfast was reasonable if you were one of the first to eat, if you were late you got left overs. Nothing was restocked in our experience. The location for breakfast on the back veranda had a wonderful view of Honolulu and it also over looked the garden which could have done with some loving attention.
There was no community sitting room which meant you were confined to your bedroom or the vernadah. We were not made aware of any tea/coffee making facilities outside of breadfast time.

• Liked — View from back vernadah and easy public transport
  • Disliked — Tired appearance of the place like something out of "Great Expetactions - Ms Haversham's Satis House"
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I spent two nights at the inn and loved it. Our room, a suite, was beautifully furnished with various antiques and very roomy. The gardens wrapping around the home were beautiful...lots of birds enjoying them as well. Many nooks for privacy in the garden and a small pool to enjoy. We just did not have enough time to take advantage of it all. The proprietors offered us a wealth of information on where to eat, park, play, etc based on our requests and needs. They were amazing and so relaxed. Enjoyed the fresh tropical fruits for breakfast, coffee, etc on the lovely veranda....very comfortable, easy-going, lovely place to stay. Beautiful people and a beautiful experience...enjoy your time there!

Stayed April 2008
Laguna Hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

We had a great time, a very pleasant stay. They home is very quaint, an early-Century Victorian. The owners, Theresa and John, were really friendly and knowledgable about places to go and things to do; lot of great stories about life and times in Hawaii.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I totally enjoyed our 3 day stay at the Manoa Valley Inn in March. The house itself is a treasure. An old historic home with lots of interesting features tastefully decorated. Our spacious and comfortable room was on the top floor among the trees and the birds and we had a fantastic view of Waikiki out our window. Though the room is not air-conditioned it was quite comfortable and it was nice to hear the birds. Theresa and John were friendly and helpful. Their suggestions for dinner were spot on. We ate at a fabulous Italian place and another night a very good thai called Sweet Basil. The breakfasts out on the veranda were very nice and plentiful including cereals breads and fresh fruits. We found the location to be a nice change from the beaches that we had thoroughly enjoyed also and we would recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — the house
  • Disliked — everything was fine
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
east oahu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

manoa valley inn is a wonderful retreat spot close to everything hawaii has to offer. the rooms are spacious, clean and homey. the grounds are well kept, beautiful flora and fauna everywhere and the hospitality of the hosts was great! I would definately stay there again with my boyfriend and would recommend it to anyone I know.
Have a nice day and keep smiling!
Lucky Michelle

• Liked — beatiful victorian style bedroom with king size bed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Manoa Valley Inn? Share your experiences!