We stayed at the Manoa Valley Inn for four nights in January 2014 - it was an absolute delight to stay there. We made our booking based on the incredibly convenient location of the property, which is less than a block from the university. However during our stay we were blown away by the hospitality of our hosts, the beautiful house and garden, the delicious breakfast and the super-cute house dogs and cat!
We stayed in the Cooke room on the first floor - this room has a stunning view looking across the garden, out to Waikiki, and far over the Pacific Ocean. The bed was very comfortable and the room had excellent airflow. In addition to an ensuite bathroom the room has a spacious closet, which meant that all luggage could be stored out of the way. There was also a shared sitting room (with fridge) on our floor - it was a wonderful place to work in the afternoon (free Wifi is provided). The entire house is furnished in keeping with the age of the house, which is itself on the National Register of Historic Places. It was particularly lovely on the lanai, which looks out over the tropical garden. There is parking at the front of the house and sometimes spaces run out if you get home late, but there is plentiful street parking and we never had any problems finding a space for our car in the immediate vicinity of the house.
Breakfast is included and every morning there was a delicious array of hot and cold options, with eggs cooked to order. Sitting on the lanai over breakfast and coffee was one of the highlights of our stay - even though you are so close to the city, it just feels like a quiet oasis. In the evening our hosts were fine with us sitting with a glass of wine on the lanai as well, with glasses and a bottle opener provided.
Other reviewers have mentioned the Manoa Valley Inn pets. The three dogs and the cat were just such sweeties! The oldest dog is 18 and a gorgeous little thing. We loved having the pets about and enjoyed their company and playing with them. However, the hosts were excellent about making sure that the animals were unobtrusive and respectful of all guests, particularly those who weren't animal people.
Most of all, our hosts were lovely. Upon our arrival we were welcomed by Monica, who was just so, so helpful throughout our stay! On our first night she recommended a restaurant to eat at and made the booking for us (a nearby Japanese restaurant - absolutely amazing sashimi!), and she helped us locate any other facilities we required. Overall, all the hosts and folks who work at Manoa Valley Inn are incredibly welcoming and a pleasure to chat with.
We will definitely be staying at Manoa Valley Inn on all our future trips to Oahu. It's a real gem of a place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Manoa Valley Inn is a Victorian Inn filled with European antiques with a bit of island flair. This Historic Country Inn is an Oahu landmark located in an exclusive area of Honolulu right by the University of Hawaii. The Manoa Valley Inn was built in 1912 and provides a luxurious and quiet experience away from the din of Waikiki for visitors and local residents alike. The Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The prestigious Country Inn is conveniently located within minutes of Waikiki and the downtown Honolulu business district, yet it is surrounded by the beauty, luxury, and serenity of Manoa Valley. Relax in the quiet of the peaceful and spacious veranda and soak up a bit of Hawaiian nostalgia from years gone by. Stay with us, it's a very special surprise. It is an intimate retreat that provides a unique alternative to resort living. The Manoa Valley Inn has six special, spacious rooms and a charming country cottage waiting for you. We are within walking distance to U.H. Manoa, bus lines, restaurants and theater. Relax in our tropical saltwater heated swimming pool with a soft flowing waterfall located in a secluded garden with many trees and flowers. Breakfast consists of island fresh fruits, yogurt, bread, muffins or bagels, cold cereal, coffee, tea & juice, as well as brown rice, oatmeal with plenty of assorted nuts and dried fruits, a variety of tofu dishes and stir fried vegetables .. eggs when served are from an organic farm run by a family member. We buy local products from local organic farms as much as possible.Our Inn has five permanent guests who are 4 friendly and playful dogs and 1 mysterious black cat! E Komo Mai... Come In, Join Us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Manoa Valley Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manoa Valley Hotel Honolulu
- Manoa Valley Inn Hawaii/Honolulu