“Boy, do they work!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Corrales, New Mexico
“Boy, do they work!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is a lovely return to a graceful era and the hosts have to be the hardest working people in the business....and fun as well. More importantly, it is set in Manoa Valley, close to the U of Hawaii and one of the seasonably coolest spots in Honolulu. There is a reason the Alii stayed in Manoa!

We started in the small detached unit and, through the graciousness of the hosts, moved to the main building. The detached unit, set amidst an explosion of flowers and gardens, is still a bit impacted by an adjoining apartment as far as sound. Not so the main house.

The hosts were extremely helpful. They even went so far as to recommend an acupuncturist when my wife had some back issues. They were careful to schedule work on the home (they are fixing up after a recent purchase) to times when we were gone or not napping.

There is a lovely pool and spectacular breakfasts. In all, I wouild certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the main building. The cottage is charming, but the nearby neighbors are not so charming and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This place is full of aloha. We have been coming to the Manoa Valley Inn for years, and we look forward to and cherish our time there. It's a real retreat from urban life, even though it's close to everything. The garden/pool is a sanctuary--you are surrounded by greenery and flowers and there's even a day bed to relax in. Breakfast is reliably great -- plenty of fresh organic fruit, bread, cheese, cereal, eggs, and there's nearly always a special hot dish like a curry or rice. The eggs are from a local kid in Waimanolo and are fantastic. I love the coffee. Our room was spacious, clean, and full of light, and appointed with a fun and eclectic decor. Clean bathroom with fluffy towels, blissfully hot water in the shower. The other thing we love about this place is it attracts interesting guests; we've had many interesting conversations on the lanai in the morning. Mark and Jenna have great stories and treat us like family. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you want to experience a slice of local living. Being a former kama'aina, I wanted to show my partner a side of hawaii that wasn't all touristy, since this was his first time there.. Jena and Mark were awsome and made us feel so relaxed and welcome. The breakfast was great, with a variety of fruits, cereals, toast, and even udon soup ! The coffee was great as well ! I felt I was at home enjoying breakfast and great conversation. The salt water pool is beautiful, with a waterfall running through it. We enjoying our stay so much, we didn't want to leave! Parking is available, which is a plus and you are right by UH, Manoa Valley and the amenities of "town". This is the best place to stay in Honolulu!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Hi - I recently spent 3 weeks at the Manoa Valley Inn during an extended business trip. Mark and Jenna recently acquired the beautiful property; the previous owners unfortunately didn't take care of it and Mark and Jenna are working very hard to get it back to its former glory. Mark and Jenna were so warm and gracious; they are new at the innkeeping business and are working out some of the kinks but really seem to be enjoying it and are fun and interesting to talk to. Other reviewers complained about the lack of air conditioning, but it was not a problem for me. It is constantly breezy in Manoa and there are fans in the rooms if the breeze isn't enough. I even needed to put a blanket on my bed a couple of nights because I got chilly.

Things I loved: 1 - location. Manoa is a great place to stay if you're not into touristy Waikiki. The University of Hawaii is half a block away, and I really enjoyed taking evening jogs back into the beautiful neighborhoods of Manoa Valley. 2 - the property. The GORGEOUS swimming grotto is fabulous. I swam there nearly every night. It has a lovely waterfall at one end and is surrounded by flowering bushes, which makes it very private. There is also a great view of Diamond Head and Waikiki from the expansive back porch, where they serve breakfast. The yard is lush and Jenna is putting in an organic garden. 3 - Mark and Jenna's generosity. One night as I was heading to an event, Jenna picked a hibiscus from the garden for me to wear in my hair. I often had early morning meetings and had to miss the big breakfast they put out, so Mark asked me what I wanted to eat (cereal) and then went out and bought the kind of cereal I wanted. When I was around for breakfast on the weekends, there were several options (always including fresh fruit) and they would also make eggs to order.

Things that still need work: the maid service is inconsistent. It wasn't explained to me when I arrived, so I didn't realize I needed to leave my key for the maid to service the room. Once or twice when I did leave my key, they still didn't clean the room. Once I was also disturbed by a worker (M&J employ 2 workers 7 days a week on restoring and fixing up the property) who was out working on the roof near my bedroom at an early hour (they're putting in solar panels).

It's important for potential guests to realize that Mark and Jenna do have 4 dogs who often hang out on the back porch and in the entryway. If you don't like dogs this is not the place for you.

Bottom line: The property is beautiful and Mark and Jenna are very nice, and overall it has a casual/laid-back vibe that I think reflects Hawaii.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor in the back of the house. The room was very quiet and the dogs never came...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Mark G, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Aloha,
Many thanks for the kind words and for being a great guest for 3 weeks. As an innkeeper feedback is what provides the fuel to improve, change and strengthen the experience of a guest. The wonderful thing about communication is that it works when practiced. I believe some of our best guest experiences have been asking questions about Hawaii, where to go and what to do or just hanging out relaxing and sharing some special moments in life. I appreciate the effort, flying time and cost for people to reach Hawaii and we do our best to enhance their stay.
Yes, occasionally an extra towel or detail is missed. We apologize and promise to do better the next time around!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Very dirt, no service room, 3 days no room clearing ! No hair drayer, no tv, low breakfast, stay out ! No air conditioning. In the lobby are four dogs, one lamp on the side of the bet are outworking all tree days, The location is good, if you have a Car. For this money I wont a more ! I love to go usuay in B&B home for live like at my home, buth this time I file me like a homeless

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Mark G, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Aloha and thank you to the many guests who have stayed with us at Manoa Valley Inn. Four months of ownership and over 100 guests later we are enjoying the fruits of our labor - wow, 2,800 hours plus of professional assistance with landscaping, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, deep cleaning, fence repair, pool repair and more. For those that have been challenged by some of these repairs, I apologize and hope you look forward to returning. For those that have endured an occasional inconvenience our gratitude for your cooperation and understanding and especially thanks from the dogs for being so friendly. For future guests, we as owners live on the property and are easily reachable should there be a need. The challenges with a few customers have resulted from not communicating. We understand you are the customer and are striving to do our best to provide you with the Aloha Spirit, a gracious setting and relaxing environment just outside the high rise buildings of Waikiki in a beautiful residential neighborhood. Thanks for considering us for your future stays and please do not hesitate to communicate with us.
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband booked this leg of our trip, so when I checked out the reviews to see where we were going, I was a bit apprehensive. Still, I've stayed in some pretty Bohemian B&Bs and there were enough positive comments to make me think things were improving at the Manoa Valley Inn. They are. Mark and Jena have been working since the beginning of the year and there is a lot to do. (e.g. Big old house, lots of formerly untended gardens, and owners with day jobs). Our stay was very enjoyable and we will come back again. Having said that, you need to know what kind of traveler you are. This is not a pristine B&B with little soaps, vases of flowers in the room, and lots of amenities. But, whatever you want or need, (a knife, cutting board, hot water for tea) is available for the asking. And I loved that the breakfasts were a combination of American standard fare (eggs, yogurt, oatmeal) and some mornings Miso Soup, stir Fried Veggies, and curry to spead on bread like peanut butter. So, if you're the type of visitor who isn't adventurous, doesn't like dogs (they are there but controlled) or expects a pristine place with no surprises, this is not the place for you. It was not musty, did not smell of dog, and it was clean. Yes the towels are old and if you fill your waste basket you'll need to actually carry the bag to the first floor, but I think that's the charm of staying in a cool old place where you get to know the owners. So, if you have a bit of the Bohemian in you, love old houses, old furniture, and interesting people, you'll love staying here as much as my husband and I did.
The salt water pool is heaven. And they have a water filtration system that makes their tap water taste like water from heaven. I hated to leave that behind. We stayed in the Guild Room and the shower is awesome! You can exfoliate the tan right off yourself if you want. Lots of hot water with a powerful big round shower head.
The view of the nighttime skyline of Oahu is breathtaking. It looks like a long diamond necklace. And you can see Diamond Head too.
You're near the college, so the bus line runs close and restaurants are within walking distance.
Most of all, Mark and Jena were fantastic hosts. Mark runs an auction company, so he keeps filling the house with cool antique finds. Jena runs a spa and is the chief gardener at the house. She is working hard to revive the beautiful plants that were neglected by the previous owner. There are lots of birds and beautiful flowers everywhere.
And I loved the dogs. Especially Tin Tin, who lay down on my feet when it was time for me to
go.
Not creepy, not dark, not dirty. Oh, and one of the old dogs does have a diaper, but this is so he doesn't lift his leg in the house. Well, he does lift his leg in the house, but he's wearing a diaper, so it's okay. He's very old and blind. Give the guy a break. And he doesn't smell. None of them do.
The complainers need to stay at the beach hotels.
Aloha Manoa Valley Inn. Can't wait to come back and see all the new things you've done.

Room Tip: We loved the Guild. But we did have a choice, so maybe you will too.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

OMG! Where to start! My husband and I were staying at the Marriot and it was WAY TO TOURISTY and NOISY! So we decide to try our chances elsewhere. With Spring break well in, We thought we were lucky to find the MANOA VALLEY INN! uhm.... OMG NO! We paid in advance, before we could see it and that was because we so wanted out of the Marriot. As we arrived the front of the house looked dingy and unkept... We tried our luck inside as we had already paid... There was no one around to greet us at first and then a lovely, young Asian man who didn't speak English came running.. Sweet but unable to communicate. That was fine... Then we look around and while you can see its got potential, the potential is underneath all the FILTH! Yes FILTH. and it stinks like wet dog! We walked around to the where the pool was and there is a section behind the pool that looks like a JUNK YARD! There is just garbage and rubble thrown about. Like garbage dump. It doesnt end there... We walk into the house and BOOM 6 dogs... One was about 200 pounds. A black Chow Chow I believe. I love animals but THESE NEEDED A BATH BADLY! The house smelled of them and they were allowed to hang right there in the lobby! I won't go on because i think you get the picture! I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There was only one other couple there AND all empty rooms... IN A WORD>>>GROSS!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

Room Tip: There are no reviews other than to run from here!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Mark G, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Aloha!
We recently acquired the property, both to live in and operate as a B&B, and have made substantial improvements and changes to ensure the comfort of our guests for years to come. We also have a professionally trained staff to address the needs of our guests.
We sincerely apologize to our two guests who were dissatisfied and only wish they had spoken to us when they were here so we could have known what the problem was and correct it.
As experienced hotel operators in Japan we know that this property is not filthy and there is no garbage on the premise. We do have four dogs (no 200 pound Chow Chow, though) and one cat that are gracious and friendly and for the most part separate from guests in the owners' garden. What I can promise all guests is that we take what we do very seriously and strive on a daily basis to be the best B&B in Hawaii and do send an invitation to those happy and unhappy to stay with us again. We are the only Victorian Inn in the area and take great pride in the fact.
Mark

Been to Manoa Valley Inn? Share your experiences!