“Dirt” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2001 Vancouver Drive, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96822   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
“Dirt”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Very dirt, no service room, 3 days no room clearing ! No hair drayer, no tv, low breakfast, stay out ! No air conditioning. In the lobby are four dogs, one lamp on the side of the bet are outworking all tree days, The location is good, if you have a Car. For this money I wont a more ! I love to go usuay in B&B home for live like at my home, buth this time I file me like a homeless

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Mark G, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Aloha and thank you to the many guests who have stayed with us at Manoa Valley Inn. Four months of ownership and over 100 guests later we are enjoying the fruits of our labor - wow, 2,800 hours plus of professional assistance with landscaping, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, deep cleaning, fence repair, pool repair and more. For those that have been challenged by some of these repairs, I apologize and hope you look forward to returning. For those that have endured an occasional inconvenience our gratitude for your cooperation and understanding and especially thanks from the dogs for being so friendly. For future guests, we as owners live on the property and are easily reachable should there be a need. The challenges with a few customers have resulted from not communicating. We understand you are the customer and are striving to do our best to provide you with the Aloha Spirit, a gracious setting and relaxing environment just outside the high rise buildings of Waikiki in a beautiful residential neighborhood. Thanks for considering us for your future stays and please do not hesitate to communicate with us.
Mahalo,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband booked this leg of our trip, so when I checked out the reviews to see where we were going, I was a bit apprehensive. Still, I've stayed in some pretty Bohemian B&Bs and there were enough positive comments to make me think things were improving at the Manoa Valley Inn. They are. Mark and Jena have been working since the beginning of the year and there is a lot to do. (e.g. Big old house, lots of formerly untended gardens, and owners with day jobs). Our stay was very enjoyable and we will come back again. Having said that, you need to know what kind of traveler you are. This is not a pristine B&B with little soaps, vases of flowers in the room, and lots of amenities. But, whatever you want or need, (a knife, cutting board, hot water for tea) is available for the asking. And I loved that the breakfasts were a combination of American standard fare (eggs, yogurt, oatmeal) and some mornings Miso Soup, stir Fried Veggies, and curry to spead on bread like peanut butter. So, if you're the type of visitor who isn't adventurous, doesn't like dogs (they are there but controlled) or expects a pristine place with no surprises, this is not the place for you. It was not musty, did not smell of dog, and it was clean. Yes the towels are old and if you fill your waste basket you'll need to actually carry the bag to the first floor, but I think that's the charm of staying in a cool old place where you get to know the owners. So, if you have a bit of the Bohemian in you, love old houses, old furniture, and interesting people, you'll love staying here as much as my husband and I did.
The salt water pool is heaven. And they have a water filtration system that makes their tap water taste like water from heaven. I hated to leave that behind. We stayed in the Guild Room and the shower is awesome! You can exfoliate the tan right off yourself if you want. Lots of hot water with a powerful big round shower head.
The view of the nighttime skyline of Oahu is breathtaking. It looks like a long diamond necklace. And you can see Diamond Head too.
You're near the college, so the bus line runs close and restaurants are within walking distance.
Most of all, Mark and Jena were fantastic hosts. Mark runs an auction company, so he keeps filling the house with cool antique finds. Jena runs a spa and is the chief gardener at the house. She is working hard to revive the beautiful plants that were neglected by the previous owner. There are lots of birds and beautiful flowers everywhere.
And I loved the dogs. Especially Tin Tin, who lay down on my feet when it was time for me to
go.
Not creepy, not dark, not dirty. Oh, and one of the old dogs does have a diaper, but this is so he doesn't lift his leg in the house. Well, he does lift his leg in the house, but he's wearing a diaper, so it's okay. He's very old and blind. Give the guy a break. And he doesn't smell. None of them do.
The complainers need to stay at the beach hotels.
Aloha Manoa Valley Inn. Can't wait to come back and see all the new things you've done.

Room Tip: We loved the Guild. But we did have a choice, so maybe you will too.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

OMG! Where to start! My husband and I were staying at the Marriot and it was WAY TO TOURISTY and NOISY! So we decide to try our chances elsewhere. With Spring break well in, We thought we were lucky to find the MANOA VALLEY INN! uhm.... OMG NO! We paid in advance, before we could see it and that was because we so wanted out of the Marriot. As we arrived the front of the house looked dingy and unkept... We tried our luck inside as we had already paid... There was no one around to greet us at first and then a lovely, young Asian man who didn't speak English came running.. Sweet but unable to communicate. That was fine... Then we look around and while you can see its got potential, the potential is underneath all the FILTH! Yes FILTH. and it stinks like wet dog! We walked around to the where the pool was and there is a section behind the pool that looks like a JUNK YARD! There is just garbage and rubble thrown about. Like garbage dump. It doesnt end there... We walk into the house and BOOM 6 dogs... One was about 200 pounds. A black Chow Chow I believe. I love animals but THESE NEEDED A BATH BADLY! The house smelled of them and they were allowed to hang right there in the lobby! I won't go on because i think you get the picture! I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There was only one other couple there AND all empty rooms... IN A WORD>>>GROSS!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

Room Tip: There are no reviews other than to run from here!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Mark G, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Aloha!
We recently acquired the property, both to live in and operate as a B&B, and have made substantial improvements and changes to ensure the comfort of our guests for years to come. We also have a professionally trained staff to address the needs of our guests.
We sincerely apologize to our two guests who were dissatisfied and only wish they had spoken to us when they were here so we could have known what the problem was and correct it.
As experienced hotel operators in Japan we know that this property is not filthy and there is no garbage on the premise. We do have four dogs (no 200 pound Chow Chow, though) and one cat that are gracious and friendly and for the most part separate from guests in the owners' garden. What I can promise all guests is that we take what we do very seriously and strive on a daily basis to be the best B&B in Hawaii and do send an invitation to those happy and unhappy to stay with us again. We are the only Victorian Inn in the area and take great pride in the fact.
Mahalo,
Mark
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We booked the two bedroom guild suite with a shared bath. When we arrived in January 2012 we found that the guild suite was actually two separate rooms, each with a bath which was wonderful, but the website could list it more accurately so you know what to expect. The website does say that daily maid service is not provided, but we stayed 5 days and emptying of the trash would have been nice. The location near University of Hawaii was very convenient to Waikiki, Pearl Harbor and there are lots of restaurants nearby. The breakfast consisted of coffee, bread for toasting, fresh fruit, juice. One day there were cold cuts (which was odd for breakfast) but we did make a sandwich for lunch during the day. I'm a diabetic, so something beside juice and carbs would have been nice and real cream would have been awesome. There were no "extras" - no shampoo, no soap. There were many times during the day when there was not a soul in the Inn and other times when the construction was so loud that a nap was not an option. The high point of the Inn is the pool. It is a salt water oasis that is even lovier than the pictures ... and the outdoor canopy bed is heaven! The backyard is a lush garden paradise and the nighttime view of the lights of Waikiki is spectacular. This historic Victorian Inn is not in the best shape and the owners are restoring it, hopefully to it's original glory. More attention needs to be paid to the customers. We got home late one evening and the and it was so dark we had to use our cell phones to be able to open the door. It was creepy walking in with no lights whatsoever. Then later that night the caretaker kept coming in and out the front door at all hours of the morning letting the door bang each time. I do not agree with the other reviews that the inn was moldy and dirty, but it is old so if you are expecting pristine, this is not the place for you. Dogs do someimes run loose, so if that's not your thing then you will be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The lesson learned here is read ALL the reviews! Creepy, dark, dirty, no... filthy, damp, smelly, buggy, moldy, shall I go on or do you have the picture. Breakfast was disgusting, old, instant, and the coffee had been sitting on the burner for hours. I was afraid to eat anything.

Did I mention the dogs! No less then 4 greeted us, one in diapers (get the picture/smell). That was all that greeted us. It took several calls from outside the premises to get someone to greet us, show us the room, give us keys. We should have run at that point, but it was late afternoon and we were beat.

My husband & I were on Oahu for business and thought the Inn looked appealing and out of the Waikiki hustle bustle. We had booked two nights. We stomached one night. I knew we were in trouble when my husband said he was keeping his shoes on (he hates shoes). When we left the next morning, not wanting to make a scene, we said we had an emergency and needed to leave a day early. A "so what" attitude was given and no mention of a refund for the second night (they make you pay at time of booking with credit card). We didn't care. We booked a night at the Hawaii Prince Hotel for the same price and quickly removed our self from the Inn. It was so worth the forfeiture of the second night.

Not sure where the "excellent reviewers" stayed, but be assured, it was not here!! I have stayed in many B & B's around the world, and never in my life experienced anything so terrible and frightening.

I hate that I am giving the Location an Average rating, this will increase the overall rating, but it is a good location. Just so sad that the Inn has become so undesirable on so many levels.

Room Tip: The best room is some where else, like Hawaii Prince Hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

Renovations going on currently, in the near future the reviews will be better, I hope! The only staff we saw were the ladies that prepared our continental breakfast, very nice. Had called owner X 3 w/o response, still haven"t heard from him!No one checked us in or out.

• Stayed February 2012
San Antonio, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Manoa Valley Inn is under new ownership and if the transition time is any indication, it's going to be a real gem. Six of us (all adults) arrived on Christmas Eve, and we were initially disappointed by the lack of a greeter and the signs of chaos in some side rooms. We learned the inn had literally just been purchased and the old owner had vacated but a day or two before. Someone finally showed up to put us in our rooms and by the time we returned from dinner, the owner was there. Mark Gwen and his wife Jena plan to live on the property after they remoded their quarters. A lot of construction and general fixing-up went on the whole time we were there, but it wasn't bothersome to us as we were gone most days. Every single day, something wonderful happened while we were gone to transform the place. The continental breakfast on the porch was yummy, and they allowed us to bring our wine and cheese to the same porch in the evenings to watch the sparkling Honolulu skyline illuminate as the sun set. Mark was friendly and helpful; the home is beautiful; rates were great and we had a wonderful 7 night stay.The magnificent firework display was visible on New Year's Eve from the porch! If you're looking for a comfy, fun and quirky place to stay away from the madness of Waikiki (but very close by car), this is the place to stay. If you're not flexible and don't enjoy historic places, stick to the slick, expensive high-rise hotels.

Room Tip: Each room on the second floor has a private bath; the suite has a shared bath for its two bedrooms...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Manoa Valley Inn? Share your experiences!