“Like Going Home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Like Going Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I escaped my busy professional life for a week in Hawaii, and after my stay returned home refreshed and ready to go. When I saw the place online I knew I wanted to stay there... great location, 5 - 15 mins from everything important, and outside of the city hustle. When I walked in I can't lie, I was a little surprised. They have maintained the historic charm of the place, however the furnishings are faded and due for a face lift. Regardless, the great ambiance, very cool family management, absolutely gorgeous pool with rock waterfall, and the beautiful gardens makes you start enjoying yourself right away!

They do not have a cooking licence, so if you're looking for a 3 course catered breakfast every day, look somewhere else. But each morning at 7.30 there is a continental spread on the patio overlooking the beautiful Diamond Head crater... bagels, jam, an assortment of teas, coffee, juice, yogurt and local fruit, just the thing to get you started on a fun-packed day in O'ahu.

Just before leaving I told the innkeeper John that coming back to his B&B at the end of the day was like coming home, which is what I needed, and is the highest complement I could give him.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with air conditioning as an amenity. This will give you the ability to close up and...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

What a shame that such a lovely historic inn should fail so dismally. The woman who runs it is not helpful and there weren't even any bus schedules or maps available. My room was filthy and the electrical outlets were positively frightening. The view from the Inn is fantastic and for me the location was excellent as it is directly across from the University of Hawaii with a very convenient bus stop. I kept wanting to love it but it had so few amenities and had not been updated in any way. The lighting was horrid. Its too bad but someone professional should take over this place and clean it and update it while keeping its historic charm.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
, Owner at Manoa Valley Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
i am responding to the harsh review that was submited under the Disappointing and Filthy title. i remember this guest quite well. Guest was negative from the beginning. Guest expected shiny and new, we are historic, old and period. We do not want to upgrade to present day. Guest made reservations for a room with a shared bathroom, we upgraded her to a room with a private bathroom. i was just a gracious to her as I usually am with all my guests. I did, however had the flu which I did not want to pass to my guests. So, of course, I tried to stay away from serving breakfast etc. Guest appeared to be very contented with her up grade and did say she appreciated and love it. Never once did she complain about anything. Guest was very standoffish with the other guests and never had breakfast with us. Our electrical system in nob and tube with push button fixtures I guess to the guest this was horrific. I do believe this guest would be happier in a shiny new hotel down Waikiki. I totally disagree that our Inn is filth. We do have a professional cleaner that was hired 6 months ago. On feed back of the guests that have stayed at our Inn has rated her highly. My guest book is filled with hundreds of wonderful reviews. My staff and I are local and do have a lot of Aloha spirit. John and I spend every morning attending and helping guests with information about Hawaii. We do want everyone to have a memorable time here in Hawaii. No matter where you stay, please, if you have any issues, may I urge you that you take management on the side and let them know about your concerns. Everyone will win. Aloha & Mahalo, Theresa
Rangeley, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Reside in a grand arts and crafts bungalow perched in the upper valley of Manoa overlooking Waikiki (at a far distance) and Diamond Head. Cool breezes and rapid
mists swirl about this remarkable historic building while one settles into a deep embracing porch with a great cuppa, local fruit and the paper. Period rooms recall the turn of the century, and although they're a wee bit musty, the bed was comfortable and the ambience of fans and cross breezes enhanced a relaxing stay. Highly encouraged for those who love architectural history and enjoy browsing through a long ago neighborhood.

Room Tip: Each is unique with its own quaintness.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Hard not to gush being fresh off the plane. This is the third time I'd stayed here and compared to when it was run by a Japanese management team back in the 90's it has a much warmer feel now. John and Theresa are great hosts who leave you be but are available when needed. We felt like we were at home with our own bedroom and a bathroom down the hall. Had some great conversations on the lanai out back and spent a lot of time in the pool area which is richly landscaped and has a very private feel. They have done a great job with the grounds, the overall landscaping helps you forget you are right in a neighborhood and the views of Diamond head from the lanai are great.
We stayed in the Dole room (which utilizes a common bath) over Labor day weekend.
Access to the The Bus and everywhere else is pretty good since you don't have to wait in Waikiki traffic to get around the island. Further to the previous post, we could hear the neighbors but the noise is less than most Waikiki properties and it was little kids playing (it is in a neighborhood afterall). We personally loved the outdoor veranda focus of the common areas since we wanted to be outdoors the whole time.
The recommendations for Paesano's italian restaurant and the Wai-Oli tea room were excellent as well.

Room Tip: For the budget minded, the rooms that utilize the shared bath are a good option.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

The last 2 reviews seem very harsh. The back porch and yard are gorgeous with a breathtaking view of the Waikiki skyline. The backyard has gardens and a small pool that are great for unwinding at the end of the day. We had no trouble talking to the owners or other guests, who offered us some great tips for sightseeing. Breakfast was nothing special...could use some improvement there. The room had Victorian furnishings and a comfortable bed. There was no air conditioning in our room which made it a little warm and humid for us, since we are used to the dry air of Las Vegas.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We came here to vacation with friends. the Inn is very nice and peaceful. The rooms are perfectly adequate and each room has a bathroom and shower. Breakfast was so so. the owners are very nice and helpful when it comes to helping you plan your day, where to eat, park, etc. You have a beautiful view of downtown and Diamond Head from the back porch.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
emoo217
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed here as a way to avoid Waikiki and support the local economy/small business. Plus, I used to live in Waialua and Kaneohe, and so was looking forward to coming back to a neighborhood.

Ok, so here's the bad:
- The people are strange. They don't seem like B&B people (read: not friendly). They have walled off the lower portion of the house for their own use. I understand doing that for some of the house, but when you walk down the stairway, you have nowhere to go but outside (where they want you, is my guess) because the doors to the left and right are closed. This alone makes this B&B untenable, in my view: there's no real common space to play games, meet other people, etc.

The semi-good:
- The house is nice, and the backyard, where they have breakfast, is quite pleasant.

In sum: nice neighborhood (except for screaming neighbors at one point in the middle of the night), old but beautiful house, but the vibe from theplace is so negative I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Manoa Valley Inn? Share your experiences!