“HORRIBLE NOISE ON SIDE NEAR PARKING GARAGES - 7th FLR” 3 of 5 stars

The Imperial Hawaii Resort at Waikiki
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Lewers St., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #57 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Anaheim Hills, California
“HORRIBLE NOISE ON SIDE NEAR PARKING GARAGES - 7th FLR”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I just returned from Hawaii on Tuesday, Dec. 24. We stayed at the Imperial from Dec.18-23, 2013. Everything was fine about the hotel except the location of the room. They put us on the 7th floor and I could hear EVERYTHING that was happening on the streets below. We checked into the hotel late Wednesday and got straight into bed. I could hear people yelling, horns blowing, motorcycles revving their engines. It took me a long time to get to sleep.

The next morning first thing my daughter and I did was get up and go to the front desk to see if we could switch rooms. I was told I had to go to 2nd floor reservations and so we did. The woman at the front desk up there was rude. She was not at all considerate or caring. It was all about "business." She said she may have a room on the same side of the building and I said that was fine as long as it was much higher. She then told me about the $50.00 cleaning fee. WHAT!!! $50.00 to change sheets on a bed because that's literally all I did in that room. Absolutely ridiculous. I hadn't unpacked a thing. I literally plopped on the bed and slept in my clothes. Or shall I say "tried" to sleep! Well, I walked away and was really upset the entire day but had to let it go so I could enjoy myself without the stress. Each night was the same except come Monday morning, Dec. 23rd I was awakened at 5:52am by the trash truck, I'm guessing anyway. And they must have had 20 trash cans to pick-up because the noise seemed to last forever!!! I couldn't get myself back to sleep and it was my last morning to sleep in. For this reason, and the lack of respect and caring, I will never stay at this place again.

I am a timeshare owner and have paid thousands of dollars over the years for the timeshare and maintenance fees. I exchanged one of my locations for the Imperial and I would THINK I would be treated with more consideration and kindness!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are a MUST if you want some good sleep!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at The Imperial in November. Excellent service from all staff and they could not be more helpful and friendly. The location is one of the best in Honolulu. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen consisting of dishwasher, fridge, full sized oven (I even cooked a turkey), microwave, toaster etc. - just fully equipped. We had 2 bathrooms and two TV's. Could not have asked for anything more. The sunsets from the lounge on the 26th floor are just stunning. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the lower floors on Lewers Street side as there is no view except for the li...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Whangarei, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

..and would never go anywhere else. Best value for money in Waikiki. Love The Imperial. The location is just the best, the staff are very friendly and helpful - the rooms spacious and nice linen too.

The Ocean Suite bar is not open every night but is well worth a visit when it is - sunsets are gorgeous and the Mango Chi Chis worth coming back for.

ABC conveniently downstairs is a great bonus too and open early to late.

Room Tip: Some of the one bedrooms have two large beds in the bedroom which is great if you are travelling wit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks, and on arrival after a smooth friendly check in, the first impressions were really good. And what I really look for in a hotel is a clean smelling room (No Smoking), and unlike some people on here I have no intentions of crawling around the floor on my hands & knees like some old sweetie wife checking under the settee for any fluff, or inspecting the furniture for scratches, or measuring the soap for thickness. Me personally I found this room on the 22nd floor more than adequate and with a good view of Waikiki and in particular the Pacific Ocean who could complain about this? Yes I do agree the room could do with a makeover but it wasn't that bad to be honest and the Murphy bed was a godsend in itself as one simply flicked it up out of sight and behold, a bigger room.! Now who the hell comes to Honolulu and stays in their room and continually inspects it when there's a whole tropical Island to explore and enjoy? I can never understand people who make it their mission in life to find faults in a hotel, like a fellow guest we kept bumping into who spent his entire holiday complaining to the desk about stupid things like his towels not being "Soft Enough" even the room cleaner got an earful one day.
Looking around my room it had everything one needed to be self catering if you wanted, microwave, fridge, iron, flat screen TV etc. but we rarely used this room for cooking as we ate out mostly, but for people on a budget well, It's perfect and here downstairs you have the ABC store which sells just about everything you could possibly want, they even have a delicatessen too. Next door is "Denny's" a fast food diner, and just around the corner is the famous beach itself.
As for the laundry you have the self service washing machines on level 2 on the car park, you don't even have to travel far for anything here, as for the rooftop pool well, it's wet if anything but don't go up here expecting to be doing an Olympic back stroke, or scuba diving lessons, as it's quite small enough to just enjoy the gentle breeze and peace it offers. Also on a Tuesday night there is a fireworks display further down the beach and here is the perfect place to watch it.!
Our room in particular was cleaned every Tues, Sat. and if you needed fresh towels, sheets, in fact anything at all inbetween then simply pop down to the maintenance floor and the friendly women will happily change everything for you no sweat. One day our Ironing board broke and on reporting it found it was replaced an hour later good service, As for our bathroom it served it's daily purpose too.
The reception staff were always friendly and waving to us, and as for the bell boys outside they were brilliant always up for a laugh with me, one even impersonating my Scottish accent badly which was always in good fun, needless to say he got it reciprocated very quickly. These guys were so efficient in the parking of cars and arranging taxis even getting me a great deal up to the punch bowl etc. Thanks lads.
As for the Concierge's Michael & Scott, they were top blokes in arranging trips and giving out really good decent advice, with no Bull**** attached, they'll advise you on anything even the weather for the next day if you want. Michael's quite a character beware.!
One day we managed to get up to the owners lounge and here the views over the Ocean were simply amazing, but unless you get an invite it's out of bounds to us mortals, (As we sneaked in, shhhh) , but the location of this hotel is it's major selling point as your central to everything within walking distance including the many bus stops taking you anywhere in Honolulu as well as the many restaurants to behold. Even better the US Army Museum is just around the corner too, and having stayed in many hotels around the World most good some bad, the Imperial stands out as being very good. In fact it was pretty quiet with just the odd door slamming Imbecile who somehow couldn't fathom out how to shut a door quietly some days, it's a common disease which seems to afflict certain people on holiday, however it wasn't as bad as what you get in some hotels in Europe, where hotel door slamming is considered a synchronised door slamming Olympic event, a truly annoying phenomenon which seems to affect the simple minded, the worst being in Egypt some years ago when around 50 Russian guests were leaving at 4 in the morning absolutely horrific.
As for the Imperial Hotel, I would definitely stay here again no problem as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, with no worries at all. Even when I e-mailed some requests before we arrived they were answered promptly, and do check out the large colourful Aquarium behind reception a real eye catcher. Once again the staff were a credit here, very friendly and helpful too.
Just be aware folks of the hidden extras in the final price like local taxes etc, as it can be a sore one on checkout as some people found out to their cost. as for me I was well ahead of the pack on this one. And after a "Tiring" day shopping, drinking, eating, lazing around the concrete madness of Honolulu, one can always retreat back to the safe haven of the Imperial... Mahalo.!

Room Tip: For a view like we had, then simply get as high up as you can and ask for a room with an Ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We exchanged through Diamond to get a 1-bedroom in this Interval timeshare property. The Imperial is in an absolutely fabulous location amongst the better known big hotel chains and Wakiki Beach Walk outdoor shopping mall. Lots of night life fun. There's only a short walk to the beach, great dining and shopping. The Denny's and ABC store next door make it easy to stock up on needed items or get a delish and inexpensive breakfast. Very thankful to the helpful concierge who booked our side trips. On the downside, the room needs some renovating. The lobby is fine, but the rooms could use a facelift. Bathrooms are tiny. Beds are full only, but a Murphy bed and sofa bed in the room will appeal to larger groups. Kitchen area has micro/convection oven, refrig with sink and usual condo type dishes, etc. Little balcony lets you get a fresh air breather but no view on lower floors. Pool on the roof and access to the 26th floor owners' lounge with panoramic view saved the day for me. Overall, fine enough. Despite it all, I'd stay again just for the location alone!!

Room Tip: Upper rooms have some views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just arrived back from a week staying at the Imperial. Room very clean and comfortable was on the 17th floor.Staff very helpful and cheerful.Great location close to beach shops and restaurants.Having full kitchen was great as we had breakfast in the room and could relax to discuss the days agenda.ABC store on ground level that sells everything.

Room Tip: Corner room are large and sunny
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have stayed here many times and keep coming back as it is so central to all that we do. The rooms are adequate size wise but the bathroom is 'petite'. The rooms are in desperate need of a make over but the facilities outweigh the negatives. The rooms are kept clean. The laundry is downstairs - coin operated - with dryers. On the same site, is Denny's and an ABC store. Lewers street offers a vast array of restaurants and shops. It is a short walk up to the main street to access the trolley which we use extensively.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Imperial Hawaii Resort at Waikiki? Share your experiences!