“Our Home Away from Home” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% off
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney Australia
“Our Home Away from Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Having now stayed with the Ilima Hotel on many occasions we thought that it's time to provide others with the benefit of our knowledge, having stayed here over many years.

The rooms are among the largest in Waikiki and certainly the largest in their price-range and although some rooms could use an upgrade the room sizes, staff and hotel location far outweigh the downside. Every time you check in as a returning guest you are greeted as a close ohana member.

The hotel has a small pool, gym and limited parking and the Friday morning staff sing-along is a nice touch.

Located around the corner from a bus stop in Kuhio Avenue it is only a short walk through the International Market Place to Kalakaua Avenue and a stroll to the beach.

It's always nice to return to the Ilima.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived late at night but were greeted very warmly by the reception staff. The room looked like it was still 1960s or 70s but was very clean. Then came morning, I went back down to the concierges area, and there was a 90 year old staff member sitting at the desk with a huge portable typewriter and a very old phone. He was wearing a tweed jacket and it looked adorable. I loved it. It was like being transported to 1960s. Our 3 days there and nights there went without a hitch. Easy access to the the market place, beach and a good laundry area inside the hotel were a plus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Ilima Hotel was in a good area, two blocks or so from the beach, near all the top stores and marketplaces. But it was also just enough away from these places/areas to give you some peace and quiet. Staff were friendly and courteous. Only issue with the hotel, and the reason it didn't get a five rating, was the hair left in the bathroom from the previous guests. Yuck. Housekeeping was in general good but this was just wrong. When you get in after long flight at 11pm this is not what you want to see.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife picked this place because of the location in Waikiki, and the price. We had never been to Honolulu before and were willing to take a chance on an unknown hotel. We were very happy with the decision. From the outside it looks dated and the lobby is reminiscent of the 1960's. The staff was very friendly and quickly processed our reservation. When we got to our room it was more than I expected. Rooms were very large, it had a kitchen area, a nice table for sitting, bamboo furniture (which I thought was very cool), and a nice balcony. The only problem I encountered was that the parking spaces were small, but we rented an Escape so our car fit perfectly. Excellent location, easy access to restaurants, beach, and all places you might want to venture.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Akld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights, 1 each end of a 3 week trip to the mainland.
Chose this hotel as going by other reviews this is the better end of Waikiki to stay.
Very good location & quality for the price with an easy walk to the beach, shopping,markets, eateries.
Huge room with a very good kitchen area. Bathroom a liitle more cramped but totally adequate.
Furnishings are in keeping with the price but once again totally clean, tidy & well kept.
Air conditioning was a little noisy but you would get used to it after a couple of nights.
Very pleasant staff.
Definitely recommend this hotel if you are wanting a cheaper place to stay to save your money for tourist activities & dining.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I'm glad I read reviews & booked this hotel based on those reviews. The location couldn't be better, staff's knowledge of things to do, buses to get etc was great. The staff always acknowledged you with "Aloha" almost every time you walked in or out which was nice. The room was huge, with a deck (for smokers). Do visit the Cheesecake Factory to have lunch or dinner....it is superb!!!...unfortunately I was told about this place on my last day:(
The only downside for me was that the pillows were too flat for my liking.

Room Tip: I was in room 505, the wi-fi here was quicker than wi-fi at home in NZ!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Austin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Well, what a bittersweet vacation! I stayed at Ilima Hotel with my family from May 24-June 1, 2013. We arrived to the hotel with a full parking lot. Apparently, the parking is full due to locals taking advantage of the free and limited parking spaces. Anyway, after circling around forever, we checked into our rooms. We booked a 2 bedrooms with a kitchenette. This was ok for a family of 5. The room was a bit smelly; but it was livable. The couch that turns into a bed was a bit revolting. The mattress had black spots, which possibly could be molds. The air conditioner in the living room had some molds growing out of it too. My parents room near the balcony had duct tape as a way to keep the cool air in. As for bed that I slept in, the bed pulls down from the wall unit. I noticed on my bed sheet- there was a yellow beige spot on the right side during the last night. It was the size of a golf ball. This definitely shows the quality of housekeeping service.
Overall, the service of cleanliness is very questionable. Each day we would go out to enjoy our activities. One day we noticed that our towels in the bathroom were not cleared out. I had to contact the front desk to ask for the housekeeping to come. This happened 2 times. The housekeepers came one day around 3 pm. The reason why I remember the time is because I called to ask when they will be arriving to clean our room and give us fresh and clean towels.

On the last day,late in the evening, I started packing and found that my jewelry was stolen including my white gold ring with diamonds!

I went downstairs to report the incident and then called the police. The front desk lady debated for a while to call the police. She asked her colleague for help on this situation.The front desk lady told me to speak with the morning front desk lady. Finally, I had her call the police and they came at 1245 am. I reported the case to the police. I informed them that the jewelry where it was stored. The police was given of the time frame when the housekeeper could come into the room. After the report, the next day, the rude front desk- Eme would not help out on the situation. She knew more information about the jewelry than me. She informed me to contact Jay ( assistant manager). All the staff were dodging questions. The housekeeping supervisors would not handle the situation-- Davina and Nana ( supervisors of Housekeeping) would not give me the housekeeper's name and stated that it was written policies . I asked to see written policies , and Eme would not give it to me. Obviously, they are protecting the thief.

I found out that the night front desk lady spoke with the specific housekeeper. Apparently, the housekeeper knew what it looked like. This was the same housekeeper that has been cleaning our room for the week.

Jay ( Assistant manager) returned my phone call in a couple of days. He states he interrogated the housekeeper... I am not sure why he will not let me speak with the Head manager,

Please be advised-- Ilima is located in sketchy area and the housekeeping staff are thieves!!
Ilima hires thieves!