“Works for me!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Honolulu Hotel

Save Saved
You added Airport Honolulu Hotel to your Saves list
Airport Honolulu Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3401 Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96819 (Formerly Ohana Honolulu Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 35%
Ranked #64 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Ili'ili, American Samoa, United States
“Works for me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

First, let me say that every single staff member I have encountered has been friendly, professional and helpful. From Kehau at the front desk for check in (thank you again!) to my wonderful housekeeper Marie and even the guy vacuuming the hallway when I had a problem with the doors (sorry I missed your name...) and even the concession store ladies have made the stay easy.

I have stayed here numerous (10+) times over the years, on a VA ticket, on gov rate and for personal travel. I understand the frustration of the higher rates, but the specific advantages of the location and convenience usually trump the cost. I would not choose to stay here for a "vacation", but for VA medical, military in/out and quick layovers it works.

The staff can help you get the bus to shopping, or walk to a small shopping area (5-6 min) or if you have ID there is a free shuttle to the NavEx/Commissary less than 10 min away.

If you rent a car, they do charge for parking (nearly every hotel on Oahu does...) and bear in mind that the parking spaces are REALLY tight (economy ok, compact better, big SUV forget it...)

They permit pets, and I have heard a dog barking occasionally, but not to irritation (more like makes me miss mine left at home...) and the housekeepers like animals!

If you are coming to Hawaii for a vacation, keep looking for a hotel that will meet your vacation expectations, but for a quick layover, a medical trip, or a family (all of the family; meow, woof) move to/from, this one should work for you too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brent K, Assistant General Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Aloha Amy L,

I would like to thank you for your most recent stay with us, your review of the Airport Honolulu Hotel, and your continued patronage. On behalf of the staff and management, we are appreciative of your continued support of the hotel.

As you mentioned we have a great location and our employees assist all of our guests to the highest level. We strive to present a product that meets the highest of expectations and you can tell our employees take pride in what they do.

Thank you again for continuing to stay with us. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at (808) 837-5931.

Mahalo,
Brent Kitsu
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Honol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our stay here has been very nice..we didn't have any problems during our stay. It was so convenient. Close to the hospital, stores and the complimentary shuttles. One the things we liked most about this trip was our housekeeper DELIA. She is a quick worker and always worked with a smile on her face. She is a committed and hard worker. Aside from her, the whole staff was super friendly and ready to help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Waipahu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

i never got so nice and great service from any hotel i have ever been... i was greeted, help and shown to my room so fast and so friendly... but the best part was the house keeper ( DELIA ) i never problems on the time speed and the cleanliness of my room. and the trust i have that i can leave my high value items on my room. such friendly and inviting staff kept my stay here one of the best hotel on the island... one negative parking is not enough and too small for my vehicle (SUV)

Room Tip: close to the airport ... free shuttle to the airport and the nex...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I don't understand the negative reviews here..we are currently staying at this hotel and are enjoying ourselves. We are getting ready to PCS off the island (we're military) and we are staying here for 9 days. We have not had one problem nor one complaint. The staff is friendly and the rooms are quiet, comfortable and very adequate. This is a perfectly lovely hotel. Yes, the decor is a bit outdated but still nice nonetheless.

Honestly, I think people just like to piss over small issues. Some people seem to have champagne taste with beer money. I'm only saying...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Waianae, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a hotel that is on the approved TLA list for PCSing military families. It was the closest we could get to where I worked on the west side that still had a shuttle and took promissory. It was always clean but the beds were not comfortable at all and the detergent was very harsh on my skin. The restaurant downstairs had an odd vibe to it and the prices were very expensive for what you got, even with the little discount they gave you (which covers half a dish).
It is located under the free way off Nimitz and it has the crappiest parking ever. You can walk to a Starbucks, which is nice though.

Bottom line: Stay here if you have to but otherwise, skip it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We checked in at 11pm Friday with a contracted rate, yet couldn't find my reservation, so I was charged $169 a night not $109 a night the contracted rate of 8years back when it was still the Ohana Hotel.
The rooms and hotel Dated and old, it smells of old and run down.
The front desk staff was rude, and when asked for extra towels(only had 2sets for double bed room) I had my 2 children with me, I was also questioned if I only had 2 children in my room, then said I'm paying a lower rate? Which was not true and very over priced for this "motel" type place.
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE, and the restaurant food was terrible!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Brent K, Assistant General Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Aloha Xmencroft,

Thank you for your most recent visit and review of the Airport Honolulu Hotel.

We apologize for the confusion with your rate and we will look into it. Your rate may no longer be available as it was 8 years ago and the contract may have been changed. Regarding the service you received at the Front Desk, our staff receives praises and so we will also investigate this matter. The Airport Honolulu Hotel has a great location with many other services catering to our guests, which our staff appreciates.

We thank you for your patronage and I am available to listen to your concerns. You may contact me directly at (808) 836-0661 and hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Mahalo,
Brent Kitsu
Assistant General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Not bad for an airport hotel given that there aren't many to choose from. We arrived late at night and flew out the next morning so it worked for us, but for a longer stay I'd probably go to Waikiki as there's nothing much around this hotel (they do have a restaurant and a small convenience store). The decor is somewhat dated but everything was in good repair and not worn-looking, plus the bed was comfortable. It is a bit odd that they provide a fridge and a microwave, but not drinking glasses (just two paper cups for the coffee machine). Phoned from the airport for the complementary shuttle and it was there within 10 minutes. Returning to the airport, the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes (on the hour and half-hour) as long as there are passengers. They don't take reservations for the shuttle so if there are a lot of people waiting in the lobby you have to make a mad dash when the driver opens the door to make sure you get on.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Airport Honolulu Hotel? Share your experiences!