“Overbooked, "it happens"” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Phoenix, Arizona
“Overbooked, "it happens"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

After much research we chose the Hilton Hawaiian Village for our vacation. We booked and paid for reservations in March. On July 30th I confirmed our reservations. Less than 48 hours before our flight we were notified that the Hilton was overbooked and we were being moved to another hotel that we had never even heard of. I contacted the Hilton and the employee was very apologetic telling me that she "hates it when they do this". I asked her how we could be bumped when I had confirmed our reservations less than two weeks ago and her response was "it happens". I asked how this happened when I had made reservations almost five months earlier and she informed me that she had already had to tell a bride, who had made her reservations a year in advance, that she would not be spending her honeymoon at the Hilton. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that they were all in meeting and one would get back with me. In the meantime I contacted our new hotel. They informed me that they had been told about the overbooking several days ago. When Jackie from the Hilton called me back I asked her the same questions and her response was always "it happens". I asked how it was possible for us to have rooms on the 30th and to not have rooms just a couple of days later. Her standard reply, "it happens". She was not the least bit apologetic, and kept answering all of my questions with a very monotone "it happens". This is a terrible way to do business. I expected better from a name such as the Hilton.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Aloha Jane B,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you encountered during your recent trip to Hawaii. This is an abnormal, and a rare situation at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. However, we did fail to accommodate our guest and have no excuse for it. We hope the accommodation we secured was satisfactory and truly hope that you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to welcome you back if you make future plan to travel to Hawaii.

Mahalo Nui Loa
Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team

7,328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location, plenty of amenities, excellent staff. Location includes close shopping, watersports and excellent beach very close by. Beautiful grounds and very well kept. Rooms are clean and spacious and Beds are extremely comfortable. Didn't want to leave. Made it a point to stop back on return part of trip just to hang out for the day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my first trip to Hawaii to attend a convention. I am a Hilton Honors member so the choice was obvious. The grounds are simply great, all that one would like for a vaction in paradise (great beach, ocean, excellent landscaping). The food and the shops that can be found within the complex are good, but you must be prepared for higher costs. I was very disappointed to find out that my standing requests for room preferences were not only ignored, but my assigned room was in complete opposite contrast to my desires. I had to listen to the elevator motors 24 hours per day and I was on a mid-level floor. It was noisey! The ugly was the very poor quality of the consierge service. They were really only salespersons for the resort. They were reluctant to help with advice or even make reservations. In some cases they were even rude. I expected more from the staff.

Room Tip: The Rainbow tower offers excellent views of the ocean and harbor. Try to stay away from the elevator...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights on a stopover in Honolulu. I was impressed, the resort is immense and impressive, and well-looked after. Our room in the Ali'i Tower had a stunning view of the ocean and but also looked down on the rather noisy pool area, but of course that's normal! The private pool area in this tower was perfect though, and has its own private bar. Food and drinks are extortionate in my opinion, but rather fitting with Hawaiian prices. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying lunch in the hotel's ABC Stores convenience store, as well as all drinks and snacks as it is MUCH MUCH cheaper. Overall a pleasant stay, and only a short walk into Waikiki itself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ridgewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village before and this trip was for a convention. The Hilton is in an ideal location. It is close to many great restaurants and high end shopping. The resort offers many options for activities for all ages. It's a great place for families and large groups. The property is huge and has many shops and restaurants on premises if you choose not to leave which is great for older travelers. Rooms are clean. Staff is generally very friendly and accommodating.

This time we stayed in the Ali'i Tower and it's DEFINITELY NOT worth the extra cost. Last visit we stayed in the Rainbow Tower in the past and there is no difference in accomodations. Yes, the Ali'i Tower does have a private check-in, but they are only there during regular hours, not 24/7. The private concierge in the Ali'i Tower was awful. Hitoshiito was not helpful at all, not friendly and provided us with no useful information. He had absolutely no personality or affect. Every question posed to him was met with a confused or blank look. If the Ali'i Tower is their premier tower, then they need to hire a helpful, friendly and competent concierge. We used the main concierge and were very happy with their guidance. The room offered no amnenities. No wet bar, no snacks for sale. We called down for a wine opener and they said they don't provide them. They don't provide wine glasses either. This is their prestigious tower. The Ali'i Tower private pool was OK. They have a complimentary happy hour on Friday and Saturday that is more of a joke, don't waste your time. Horrible frozen food. The food at the private pool is the same horrible, microwaved, pre-made food that is at the Hau Tree by the main resort pool. It wasn't cheap either!! What I also don't understand is that some of the restaurants are closed certain days of the week. ???? Restaurants being closed in a huge resort in the beginning of August?? With a main convention going on??? Makes no sense to me. Wouldn't the Hilton want people to stay and buy on property? Take a short walk and hit other great restaurants like BLT Steak.

I was majorly disappointed this time around. If the convention is there again, I might look into the other host hotels offered by the convention.

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money of the Ali'i Tower. Use the main concierge. Don't waste you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great experience here! The room was nice, clean, and great price. I love all the pools. The kids loved it. They had a blast. The restaurants were all great except for Benihana. They food at Benihana had not flavor, and overpriced!!!! Only wished the hotel was more centrally located.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tempe, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Extremely crowded. Definitely not a relaxing resort. Rooms need major updating and lack of service. Poor service. Very stressful atmosphere. Food at the restaurants were horrible. Horrible beach. I couldn't wait to leave from my vacation destination.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha SalmaDutt,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction and challenges you experienced at our property. Our team members and the management are available 24 hours to make our guests’ stay better. If you are still at our property please reach out to one of us so we can be in assistance. Once again we are terribly sorry for the unpleasant experience, and we will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we continue to improve our guest experience.

Mahalo Nui Loa
Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team

Been to Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!