“Average for what you pay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #42 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Wellington, New Zealand
“Average for what you pay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My partner and I decided to go to Hawaii as we had never been before.. We were booked into the Hilton Hawaiian Village by our travel agent. I was quite surprised at how much it cost for 5 nights for a "partial ocean view room" (You only see the ocean when you stand on your deck and look sideways). You may as well pay for a room without a view.

We arrived on the Friday night, check in was fast, but the girl on reception treated us just like a number, I asked how full the place was and she said 100% full, so no chance of an upgrade there. We watched the fireworks which was pretty cool, a nice welcome to the island. Then decided after our 6 hour flight we would go get some dinner at the tropics restaurant, we were told it will be a 45minute wait. What the? Luckily the Italian restaurant on site had room available in the bar area and we ordered dinner and cocktails there. The cocktails were delicious, and the staff there very friendly and accommodating. As a side note we had an early dinner one night at the tropics bar (it was 4:30pm) we managed to get a table by the beach. We ordered a pesto and chicken pizza and some fries, and I have never seen anything so bad, we took two bites and left the rest. Imagine a dogs dinner, and that's what it looked like. After that we decided to eat out of the resort for lunch & dinner.

The ABC stores on site are overpriced, we brought pineapple and sugary cereal for breakfast everyday and the pineapple cost $3.99 for a small plastic container of it. Isn't Pineapple grown on the Island??! It was very tasty pineapple, but I just think it should be cheaper.

We were in the Tapa tower, unfortunately its a bit dated, instead of trying to sell us their timeshare stuff they should spend the money on upgrading this resort. I hear the rainbow tower is more modern. Our bed was nice and comfy, but no jug to boil hot water for cup of tea. You pay $25 resort fee daily for internet, movies, and resort tours of which we didn't use. You come out of the lifts and its like walking into a shopping mall, its so busy with people everywhere. The first night we found it hard to get to sleep, you can hear people slamming their doors in the rooms around you. Even if they don't slam them, they shut really nosily. Then the room next to us had some idiot banging and kicking the door, he had obviously got drunk and left his key with his friend in the room. This happened 2 our of the 5 nights, the second time it was a bunch of teenagers yelling and carrying on down the hallways. One of the nights we called security and they were excellent and came up straight away to deal with the noise. But you shouldn't have to put earplugs in when your staying at a resort.

On a positive note, the location of the resort is great, its right on the beach, and 10min walk to the city. We had our most fun at the beach, and laying by the pool one of the days drinking cocktails. If your a family, or you love crowds, perhaps this is the place for you, but if your a couple I would choose somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,909)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been to Honolulu several times and this is the only real resort on Waikiki beach. It has the best amenities (pools, shops, restaurants) as compared to other beachfront hotels in the area. The two onsite ABC stores, two Starbucks, and rental car service (Hertz) was very convenient.

Initially I thought the hotel was going to be too crowded, but staying in the Ali'i tower made a big difference. The Ali'i tower offers a dedicated check-in area and private pool - both of which were never crowded.

This resort is very lively and they have live music every night. We could here the music playing at the Tapas pool from our room, but we didn't mind. Note that the band played until 10:30 PM and sometimes 11:00 PM.

My only complaint was the view from my "partial ocean view" room (see pictures below). Given the nightly rate and the lack of a view, I feel like I overpaid for the room and should have just booked a garden view. The nice gal at the front desk did offer to move us, but the view from the new room was just the same.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room or a garden room. Booking a partial ocean view room is a waste of money. I...
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Hilton Hawaiin Village is a 20 acre resort right on Waikiki and strategically located to get you anywhere on Oahu. The resort has restaurants, lots of little shops, and many choices of accomodations, but you should definitiely book long in advance to get the best deals. The elevators are horribly slow. The staf was great, the restaurant just as mediocre as the last time we visited and way overpriced. make sure you take advantage of the location in proximity to Diamonhead, Pearl Harbor, and the shopping which is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Book as long in advance to get the extra night for free.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We were a family of six, four adults and two kids (my wife and I, her parents and our two kids 10 and 12). We had several issues with getting accurate info regarding the pool hours as well as activities. The desk that scheduled tours mislead us about Hanauma Bay and Pearl Harbor instead pushing their tours and constantly trying to get us to commit to a two hour time share presentation. Also our luggage was lost at checkout causing a slight delay in getting to the airport.

I spoke with two different managers on duty. Both stated they would pass on my concerns. I also left two messages with the general managers office as well as a VP in DC who I was transferred to by the operator. This was Wed and Thursday of last week and no one has bothered to return my call.

The resort itself was very nice but very big and spread out. The pools closed very early compared to other places we've stayed at in Florida and California. The slides at the Paradise pool closed at 5:00 PM and the pool closed at 7:00 PM. The rooms were nice and clean however the glasses in the room were not replaced during maid service. Instead they were cleaned in the room and new covers were placed on top. We chose to pick up plastic cups in the lobby. The fridge in the room didn't get very cold either. We only stored water in it and it was fine for that.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We live in diamond head part, the building is kind of old, so you can easily hear the loud noise from next door, that was the worst side...other than that everything is good,most of the staffs are helpful. Starbucks is nearby but pricey than other and always busy.If you have kids, they have penguins , they have feeding time and let the kids touch them at 8am

DALTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was our second family stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Tropics restaurant was not as good in 2013 as it was in 2012. In fact it was terrible. We also missed the exotic birds that were previously stationed around the grounds. Otherwise, our experience on the two trips was comparable. This is a very large resort and quite busy. That said it is a prime location on Waikiki.
This year we stayed in a one bedroom suite in Diamond Head Tower. This is one of the oldest buildings at the resort. I believe it was built in the late 1950's when Henry Kaiser controlled the resort. The building shows some wear and tear, but we found the lodgings very acceptable. We had 2 adults and a 12 year old in the room. For me any more in the suite would be a stretch. The child slept on a pull out couch. It was pretty comfortable. The view of the ocean and city were spectacular. We had a very good sized balcony. The grounds of the resort are spectacular and the beach frontage is second to none. There are lots of shops and restaurants on the campus. Service varies but mostly is good to very good. We enjoyed breakfast at the Starbucks which was located on the ground floor of our building. This is not an intimate place but there is so much in the way of beach and pool action that it is an excellent resort and highly recommended.

Room Tip: We were on floor 17 which provided a spectacular view!
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I were staying on Oahu on another, quieter part of the island and I insisted that we stay a few nights in Waikiki as long as I had a great view of Diamond Head. Many hotels were booked when we were looking, but this one had availability, so he booked as a room and they said it had a view.
When we got there I was first struck by how CRAZY this place is, especially after staying in a hotel where it was more relaxed and quiet. It was really overwhelming, actually. If you like a bustle, or if you have young kids, this would probably be a great stay.
When we checked into our room in the Rainbow Tower, it was at the end but it was only on the 3rd floor. We looked practically right out onto the beach and could see both sides - but I could not see Diamond Head and it was not the view I was hoping for. I was disappointed. Also the room was very stuffy and warm so we decided to see if we could change rooms. We were able to talk to a manager who was VERY accommodating, and she gave us keys to another room in the Ali'i tower to see if we liked it. It was more comfortable (and a better view) but more expensive and we had a hard time deciding but we decided to change rooms.
When we went down to get our luggage and switch keys, the manager said that someone had checked out early from the Rainbow Tower with my dream view, so we snagged it up. The room was Diamond Head side, second floor from the top. MUCH smaller but the view? BREATHTAKING and exactly what I wanted. We were very pleased that they were able to move us there. The room was so high up, in fact, that when you go on the balcony you get a little vertigo and if you are afraid of heights you may not even want to stand on the balcony. I love heights and even I felt a little nervous out near the railing! Stunning stunning stunning.
The room was not too memorable itself, but it was nice. The resort itself was way too crazy for my tastes - kind of like a maze and people everywhere.
I had the unique chance to see three rooms. They were all very very different. Almost like staying at three different hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!