“Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel to stay near Waikiki I would recommend it. As far as looks go, it is not much to look at (a little rough around the edges). Also the surroundings are less than picturesque. There were a lot of homeless people near the entrance, that made it a little scary. The elevators to the rooms are only operated with your key card, so we didn't see any vagrants in the hotel. On a positive note the staff was AMAZING!! They gave us great suggestions on things to do on the island. One of the men at the desk told us we were very close to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and it's beach. We walked there and that ended up being one of the biggest highlights of our trip. Without this man we wouldn't have even known this gem was right down the road. We also had a large gap in time from our check out and our flight, so they let us store our bags. We then went on a snorkling tour, and they let my friend use a complimentary room to shower before we headed home, even though we had already checked out. I really thought that was above and beyond!!! Really appreciated the effort. One of the days here they had the water turned off for maintanence for a few hours, so that was inconvenient, but I thought the staff really made up for it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was certainly not the worst place I have ever stayed but "no frills" would be an understatement for the condition of the rooms. The carpets and curtains were pretty gross but the rest of the room, including the bed was clean enough. We booked the hotel despite some negative reviews because we just needed one night between flights and this was a place between the airport and Waikiki downtown but really, this was not much closer to the airport than other Waikiki hotels. We head some pretty terrible things about the airport hotels (which were quite expensive) so if you also want to aviod those we would reccomend you spend an extra $10 or so and stay in a nicer place near Waikiki beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kahului, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I would like to thank staff at Hawaiian Monarch Hotel(Salina)I am not sure if I'm spelling her name correct.(sorry).She helped me with my reservation for the weekend of july 4th.And I must say she went above and beyond !.She has a very pleasant personality and great customer service skills. I can not thank her enough by helping me with my reservations.She is a great asset to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel.Thank You so much!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hayward, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The hotel is old and needs updating
Price location and staff very good.
The view of the mountains was fantastic
Room was ok except the carpet was so dirty, your feet bled black dirt when entering the shower

Room Tip: ask for room facing the ala wai cannel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
vegasfan19
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed in this hotel to pick up my daughter and bring her back home for the summer. This is a "minimalist" hotel. No bells or whistles come with your room. A simple window unit AC, a bed, tiny television, and an older shower. It is a condo/hotel, and the hotel elevators are seperate from the condo elevators. The best part about this hotel, is that it is easy access to the beach/Waikiki area and the airport. So, if you're looking for simple, this is it. If you're looking for your hotel to be part of your "Hawaii experience", go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hotel is located is located in Waikiki but on the outskirts. Not much noise and traffic passing by. The rooms are very clean and more than we expected for our two night stay. The property is petty well kept too. You have a few food choices on property including a convenience store. If none of them appeal to you then take a walk to Kalakaua Ave and explore many choices.

Will I go back? Absolutely! I like starting in Waikiki but not in the heart of it.

Clean property, friendly staff and clean rooms will get us back there.

The only reason I gave this a 4 star is because the lack of no bell boys. The parking attendant don't really allow you enough time to carry your bags to the check in counter and to deposit them to your room. I later found out that the parking people is not part of the hotel. However, for $10 daily parking rate is not bad.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I booked a trip to Waikiki and decided to spontaneously hotel hop for the trip. I walked up to the front desk and asked if she has one room with a king size bed for the night and she said she did. She took my credit card, gave me my key and headed up to the room.

The room was unbelievably awful! The TV was chained to the wall, the paint was pealing, the room smelled bad, the carpets were dirty. Trying to deal for a night, I decided to just grab towels from the bathroom and head for the hot tub. When I saw large brown stains on their white towels... I'd had it.

I walked back down to the front desk 15 minutes later and asked for a refund. I apologized but said the room is dirty and their are stains on the towels. The front desk lady was extremely rude stating "I'm on the phone right now with our hotel cleaning manager and she says that room is perfectly clean."

I said I couldn't do it, and said I'd like a refund. She blurted out "we don't do same day refunds." I said I have been in this hotel under 15 minutes and she held her ground. I nicely said, "well I will not be staying here so if you'd like to rent that room out for the night, go ahead" and left. I am in the midst of getting a refund through my credit card company since the Monarch would not.

If you want to know THE BEST HOTEL at the same price, check out Aqua Bamboo!! So wonderful, clean, and fantastic staff!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!