“cheap but OK.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Niu Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #74 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“cheap but OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

this is cheap hotel and condo but large facility and tall building with swimming pool and zaccuzi.
thier is no luxury mood but clean, kind and affordable.
Coin laudry, CVS, more.
not in hot place and need to walk 10-20min to beach but not boring to walk.
If you are the first visit of Hawaii, it is better to find other more atrractive hotels near beach.

Good sushi res and grocery store in lobby floor.
Never use moped rental store in 1st floor. They will cheat you.

Room Tip: Since thier location is near major cross roads, you may heard lots of ambulance noise in night time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
North-Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I got a room on the 17th floor with a fantastic view of the Ala Wai Park and the mountains. Every day for ten days of my stay here I`m having my coffee enjoying the view. But that`s all I could really be honest about.On my check in day the front desk staff forgot to tell meI have to use the door card to activate the lift. Got in the lift and after 5min.nothing happened and I panicked.Luckily, another guest got in and he showed me how to do it.The room is spacious and clean with a coffee service area(complimentary coffee for brewing but no filters),an old small refrigerator,iron board (that is difficult to fold back) with iron,microwave,hairdryer,soaps and shampoos and towels.The cabinets are old, worn out, toilet does work but is not looking good.Walls have cracks, and you need to have a strong muscle to pull out shower knobs in the bathtub. No breakfast service available but there are bars and small restaurants in their premises and the surroundings. The aircon is too noisy. The worst part were the cockroaches that keeps crawling all over specially at night. I keep complaining to the housekeeping and front desk about it but all they could do is to spray it. The hotel is 10-15min. walk to the beach and has no computer service for guests who do not have computers with them. A pity for me who has a speaker that can charge only by a computer (USB). Though one staff was kind enough to charge it for me in their computer but she made me feel like it is a big favor to do so in the end. If you only want the view request for this room otherwise I won`t recommend it.

Room Tip: 17th floor mountain view area
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, people seem to forget that they are reviewing and rating aspects of a hotel at a certain price point. For what I paid ($82/night for two beds), this 1-star quality hotel functioned for our needs. It's on the edge of Waikiki(10 min to beach, 10 min to Kalakaua(fashion/restaurant street), 15 min to Ala Moana Center(huge mall) on foot, and 20 min taxi to airport($29 flat rate from Charley's Taxi)). Location was great for Waikiki, however, we will stay in North Shore(Turtle Bay) or Kailua next time we visit.
Room was small and very dated, but had mini-fridge, microwave and other extra ameneties. The entire hotel needs to be gutted and remodeled. Pool was very basic, but large and the sun deck is huge! We laid out every day. Staff was super friendly. We did not fit in at this hotel at all(we spent most of our time enjoying Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Westin resorts for drinks/dinner. I would only recommend this hotel if you are looking for a clean place in Waikiki for under $90. We had a wonderful time regardless!

• Stayed June 2013
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's the little things that were bothersome.. you can barely rinse your hands in the sink, there's chips in the tub, the AC is so loud, the carpet was pretty crusty, you can easy trip over the fridge walking in, I guess fresh sheets are out of the question but the staff was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff was extremely helpful, we arrived at 6.45 am because my partner had a meeting at 7am and we were able to leave our rental car there (at a price but that's normal for busy Honolulu) and I was able to check in at 9am which was really great for me, as otherwise I would have had to hang around town for hours. The pool was nice and the hotel facilities and room were fine. It might not be the best location for holidayers but suited us as we needed to be near the Convention Center. We also were able to walk to the Ala Moana shopping center (about 15 mins).

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that i believe most/or at least a good quantity of rooms here are privately owned...which would account for the varied reviews on here...that makes it somewhat hard to compare (aside from the fact that nearly all rooms are still furnished in 70's furnishings).

I needed a cheap place to stay or about 10 days with semi-kitchen facilities and managed to secure room 2208 on the 22nd floor. Yes the rooms are small, but somehow they still managed to fit in two double beds, a fridge,tv,small table and chairs & large closet. The room also came with microwave, coffee maker,rice cooker,blender,pots & pans, toaster, weird little two burner cooker (which I'm yet to try), amongst other utensils. The room had wooden floors and was exceptionally clean given its age..and im a stickler for cleanliness. The beds were comfortable, although you could hear the plastic mattress protector scrunch a little it didn't seem to affect the comfort level overall.

The best part about this room was:

The amazing view of the Ala Wai, Partial Diamond head....and off to the right...the ocean

And......wait for it: FREE WIRELESS & CALLS Within the USA & Canada...(don't know why the hotel or other rooms don't have it connected)

My only real gripe......and it's a big one; was that the shower was absolutely awful, almost cancels out the positives of this room..

Yes I've staid in far better places for the dollar value but this is Hawaii and you do get what you've paid for.. Would definitely stay again (but only if they fix the shower first).

Room Tip: Check out different rooms/ offers as they clearly differ if privately owned.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This was my last hotel on my holiday and was just looking for a good shower and a decent bed. On arriving it was around 8.30pm and was left waiting at the counter for a while, I could hear someone on the phone out the back but there was no way of getting their attention. Other then that my stay was great. The room was huge and I appreciated being able to hide all my bags after collecting so much stuff. The tv was very small but I survived. The room came with a fridge - helpful. The hotel is in a good location close to a few restaurants, a 10-15min stroll to the beach and the same to ala moana shopping centre. ABC store seconds away for All those late night snacks. I only had my room serviced once and they did a good job. The hotel also as a pool which I did not use but looked clean and I saw others using it. I did go to the massage parlour and it was fantastic. I would stay here again for sure

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!