“It's the little things...” 4 of 5 stars

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Niu Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #73 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu
“It's the little things...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's the little things that were bothersome.. you can barely rinse your hands in the sink, there's chips in the tub, the AC is so loud, the carpet was pretty crusty, you can easy trip over the fridge walking in, I guess fresh sheets are out of the question but the staff was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff was extremely helpful, we arrived at 6.45 am because my partner had a meeting at 7am and we were able to leave our rental car there (at a price but that's normal for busy Honolulu) and I was able to check in at 9am which was really great for me, as otherwise I would have had to hang around town for hours. The pool was nice and the hotel facilities and room were fine. It might not be the best location for holidayers but suited us as we needed to be near the Convention Center. We also were able to walk to the Ala Moana shopping center (about 15 mins).

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that i believe most/or at least a good quantity of rooms here are privately owned...which would account for the varied reviews on here...that makes it somewhat hard to compare (aside from the fact that nearly all rooms are still furnished in 70's furnishings).

I needed a cheap place to stay or about 10 days with semi-kitchen facilities and managed to secure room 2208 on the 22nd floor. Yes the rooms are small, but somehow they still managed to fit in two double beds, a fridge,tv,small table and chairs & large closet. The room also came with microwave, coffee maker,rice cooker,blender,pots & pans, toaster, weird little two burner cooker (which I'm yet to try), amongst other utensils. The room had wooden floors and was exceptionally clean given its age..and im a stickler for cleanliness. The beds were comfortable, although you could hear the plastic mattress protector scrunch a little it didn't seem to affect the comfort level overall.

The best part about this room was:

The amazing view of the Ala Wai, Partial Diamond head....and off to the right...the ocean

And......wait for it: FREE WIRELESS & CALLS Within the USA & Canada...(don't know why the hotel or other rooms don't have it connected)

My only real gripe......and it's a big one; was that the shower was absolutely awful, almost cancels out the positives of this room..

Yes I've staid in far better places for the dollar value but this is Hawaii and you do get what you've paid for.. Would definitely stay again (but only if they fix the shower first).

Room Tip: Check out different rooms/ offers as they clearly differ if privately owned.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This was my last hotel on my holiday and was just looking for a good shower and a decent bed. On arriving it was around 8.30pm and was left waiting at the counter for a while, I could hear someone on the phone out the back but there was no way of getting their attention. Other then that my stay was great. The room was huge and I appreciated being able to hide all my bags after collecting so much stuff. The tv was very small but I survived. The room came with a fridge - helpful. The hotel is in a good location close to a few restaurants, a 10-15min stroll to the beach and the same to ala moana shopping centre. ABC store seconds away for All those late night snacks. I only had my room serviced once and they did a good job. The hotel also as a pool which I did not use but looked clean and I saw others using it. I did go to the massage parlour and it was fantastic. I would stay here again for sure

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I think the best thing about this hotel was its staff. Every single person at the desk was fantastic and went out of his/her way to help and make sure that my stay at the hotel was very good.
I had a little studio for 4 nights. This set up served very nicely for my purposes. I was attending a conference at the Hale koa hotel, a 5 minute walk away. Hilton Hawaiian Village was right there and I could go to their beach area easily and then keep on walking as far as I wanted on the Waikiki beach front. It was great to be able to have a stroll on the beach early in the morning. There was an all-night diner very close by and fast food, pizza and Japanese downstairs. Other sit-down restaurants were within few minutes’ walk. There was even a Seven Eleven. Since everything was very expensive in Honolulu, it was good to have not so fancy things around too. I had a microwave, a small fridge, ironing board, free coffee first day.
The room was very clean, good bed, plenty of good lighting. Although I had no ocean view (5 minute walk to see the ocean as I said before) my room faced a canal and mountains in the background. It was kind of fun to watch crew practice.
The only thing that was annoying about the room was that it was difficult to have the air condition, computer and the Internet modem on at the same time because there were not enough electric outlets to plug everything in. So I had to rearrange the furniture to have everything on. Luckily enough the table was very small and can be dragged. The studio was very small so I had to make sure that I did not bang into the fridge or the television. Actually I found it rather humorous moving things around. So, I did not see it as a big deal.
First night I could hear the traffic down the main road, but considering that it was a city, it was not bad at all. I could get my work done, and sleep in peace.
If I come to this area of Honolulu again for something, I will certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We ended up at this hotel because it was the only thing available for our dates that was less than $500. Other reviewers have said the rooms were tired and needed updating. That's a generous assessment. You might be thinking 'you get what you pay for' but this hotel was not inexpensive. The dark green carpets were faded, the '70's bedspreads had holes in them and the quilted stitching was unravelled. The drapes had worn pinholes in them and the finish on the bath tub was peeling. We checked out after the first night and slept on the floor of our son's living room. HOWEVER, the front desk staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating and the beds were comfortable (despite their unsavory appearance). There seemed to be a lot of Europeans staying there and I felt bad that this might be their perception of Hawaii. This hotel could definitely have ruined my Hawaiian vacation if it had been my first visit.

I don't think the problem was with the staff but with the management company.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights and knew to expect a "budget hotel" but was still disappointed with the small room size, stained carpet (room 1712), threadbare sheets, dusty light fixtures and mis-matched old furniture. On the positive side the hotel is quiet, the bed was comfortable and it is close to the beach and resort properties/amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!