“Don't be surprise when you "really" get your money's worth!” 2 of 5 stars

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Niu Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #73 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
North Pole, Alaska
“Don't be surprise when you "really" get your money's worth!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Before I booked my trip, I was confident that I found a nice hotel to stay in from an online booking. Then, I thought the price was too good to be true "cheap", I had found a "great deal"! But when I got to the hotel, I arrived at 1:50pm, I was told check-in wasn't until 3pm. That wasn't a problem, but when I finally got into my room, the room was a bit disgusting. The carpet was really dingy as if there were a lot of spillage and it was NOT properly cleaned/disenfected. There were a lot of staining on the walls, the microwave was dirty, bathroom was dirty. I was starting to dislike this deal already. Few days after being in the hotel, I find out that they were running a "personal service" in the very bottom floor, which there were a lot of people loitering at night around the lobby area and the lower floors. I felt unsafe, especially at night. Overall, the room setting was a bit odd. At the end, during check-out day at 11:15, a local female from the FRONT DESK calls my room in regards to check out. I asked if I could extend until 12pm, because I was not quite ready yet to check-out, assuming that I waited for them to check-in on my initial arrival. She denied my request, AND she threatened me of charging me $30 for late check-out /and or pay a whole entire day of stay. I rushed to the front desk, as I was walking away she laughs with her co-worker as if I was a joke. I would not recommend this hotel for vacationers.

Room Tip: Can't really make a comparison because I only saw the room I checked-in at.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
LEJ45
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel is kind of a hotel / time share / apartment building. We booked through HotWire and it was cheap, even for during a holiday season. The room was small, but clean and quiet. The location is great for the price and certainly within walking distance of everything Waikiki. If you’re just looking for a place to throw your stuff down during the day, then go with this hotel. It has in / out parking in a structure for a fee, but that is well worth it if you have a rental car.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I give this hotel an average rating because it truly is a "budget" hotel. You get what you pay for. If your vacation involves being out all day and only needing a place to crash at night, then this is the place for you. Very basic amenities. It's a bit old. Tub was dirty. Towels were worn and paper thin. Walls were thin too. Asked for a crib twice and it never came. Housekeeping is only available during the day. I was only there at night to sleep so those issues didn't bother me. Close enough to the beach and activities but far enough away that you avoided crowds. I would stay here again if I were going to stay in Honolulu for a couple of days. More than 3 nights would be pushing it.

AVOID THE PARKING GARAGE! It's $16 a night as a hotel guest. They only accept cash. You have to check into the hotel before you can park your car and there's no clear signage explaining that until you pull in and create a traffic jam! Once I parked I asked the attendant if I needed to pay $16 for both nights I was planning to be there. She said, "As long as you don't move your car, you are fine." I didn't move the car out of the garage for the two nights I was there. As I was leaving and after I checked out of the hotel, the attendant demanded another $16. I explained what I was told and he said, "You are the second person today who said that. That is not how it works."

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
hilo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

A good value if you are there to see the sights and just use the hotel for sleeping.Not fancy but clean.BEWARE if you use the parking garage.Our rental car was broke into and a camera and handicap plackard was taken.They did nothing about.The parking garage is not owned by the hotel.The hotel staff was friendly.

Room Tip: rooms are quieter facing the canal
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

While our initial sense of the place was very bad - they didn't want to honour their website's offer of a free shuttle bus from the airport - eventually everything worked out brilliantly. The staff were lovely once we arrived, allowing us to check in hours before the allotted time and sorting out a refund for the shuttle bus. Quiet rooms, lovely pool, extremely convenient location, overworked but friendly and helpful staff and fantastic price made it a great stay. In fact, two stays as we were there for one night before Christmas and two nights in early January.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2203 twice and loved the ocean view from the shower.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Yokohama, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I went hawaii in February 2011 and stayed in Hawaiian Monarch Hotel. The hotel location is convenient and peaceful from the crowd of beaches. The beach area is barely 800 meters from the hotel. the rooms are average but large.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The hotel is located close to a 24 hour 7/11, and the staff was amazing there. Papaya soap, and shampoo in the bathroom. Close to bus stops for 2, 13, and B busses taking you to Chinatown, or to the busy part of Waikiki and 4 bus to University of Hawaii of Manoa. Recommended to get a month pass for $60 at the 7/11. So you should go at the beginning of the month, and maximize the value, there's a 4 day pass for $25 for a shorter stay. Public transit is $2.50 each way. Laundry on the 5th floor, makes it easy, and hastle free. Change machine located next to the payphones in the lobby. And detergent and dryer sheets only 2 bucks from the front desk. I was in room 1813. Very nice view of the North side of Waikiki, and you can see the daily rainbow from the mountains. I'm not use to the heat, so the AC was amazing in the room. Definately recommend the late check out if your catching a late flight. Also for a cheap lunch, go to the University with your bus pass. $6.19 for a different daily special, and you can buy something for later too. And you have to go to a Rainbow Wahine Volleyball game if they're playing. Not too far from campus, and $25 for great seats.

Room Tip: North view was amazing, and there's no hot sunshine in your room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!