“Nice stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Yokohama, Japan
“Nice stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I went hawaii in February 2011 and stayed in Hawaiian Monarch Hotel. The hotel location is convenient and peaceful from the crowd of beaches. The beach area is barely 800 meters from the hotel. the rooms are average but large.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The hotel is located close to a 24 hour 7/11, and the staff was amazing there. Papaya soap, and shampoo in the bathroom. Close to bus stops for 2, 13, and B busses taking you to Chinatown, or to the busy part of Waikiki and 4 bus to University of Hawaii of Manoa. Recommended to get a month pass for $60 at the 7/11. So you should go at the beginning of the month, and maximize the value, there's a 4 day pass for $25 for a shorter stay. Public transit is $2.50 each way. Laundry on the 5th floor, makes it easy, and hastle free. Change machine located next to the payphones in the lobby. And detergent and dryer sheets only 2 bucks from the front desk. I was in room 1813. Very nice view of the North side of Waikiki, and you can see the daily rainbow from the mountains. I'm not use to the heat, so the AC was amazing in the room. Definately recommend the late check out if your catching a late flight. Also for a cheap lunch, go to the University with your bus pass. $6.19 for a different daily special, and you can buy something for later too. And you have to go to a Rainbow Wahine Volleyball game if they're playing. Not too far from campus, and $25 for great seats.

Room Tip: North view was amazing, and there's no hot sunshine in your room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I had read many reviews after booking this hotel and honestly I was not disappointed. I seen and heard others there at the hotel that weren't as satisfied but I don't know what they're problems were. The place was quiet, very secure and very friendly and helpful staff. The only thing to note was the tubs was painted over but nothing I've seen before but beds were always made and even towels were replaced when I tried to recycle them to conserve energy. I also was offered and accepted my luggage to be held securely since my departure time was later than my check out time. I would definitely visit again on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I loved staying there. the room was clean, two beds, tv, cable, safe, iron and board, coffee, micro and refrig. shampoo provided. great pool. in the building is a day spa, sushi bar, sports bar, breakfast and lunch rest. bank next door, subway, 7-11, waikiki hamburger bar and grill and of course abc stoe. there is a little store in the hotel with better prices than abc. in the parking area is the moped and scooter rental or cars, either one. 8 min walk to the beach at hawaiian village. my friends stayed at hawaiian village. i could walk to their beach before they could get down the elevator and to the beach and for half their price. this is a yes. you dont need a car. robertshawaii will suttle for 20 bucks round trip. if you need a day car, check the lobby or walk to avis, one block away.

Room Tip: try for a room overlooking the pool, but your their to be out not sitting in your room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Hawaiian Monarch is a very comfy hotel, staff is really kind and helpful. I stayed there for nearly two months and really enjoyed it and finally felt like at home. The outdoor swimming pool is amazing, not so crowded, and very peaceful. The hotel is located about 15 minute walk from Waikiki Beach and really close to various fast foods and ABC stores.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed in this hotel 4 nights in the beginning of November 2011. If you decide to book here set your expectation very low and you will not be disappointed. This hotel is very old and is only maintained in correct shape, no major renovation was done last few years. Because it is often fully booked, don't expect major improvements from the owner in the future. So forget aesthetics, all what you need close to Waikiki is clean, cheap place to sleep and take a shower. If these are your goals, this place is for you.

For us personally, the only major negative point is a very loud noise from the traffic. This happens because AC is very poorly integrated into the windows and let pass all noise from the street. So as the consequence we could not sleep well.
Other then that, it was clean, friendly and helpful stuff, friendly customers we met in the lift, good security.

Additionally, if you like sushi, there is small place just few steps from the desk. Sushi here is not expensive, fresh and good quality .We eat it for every breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Trabuco Canyon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My wife and I arrived and the first hint we got about this hotel is when the shuttle bus driver asked us what hotel we were staying at and we told him, he stopped, looked at us and just went "Oh". This should have told us, we arrived to police on scene dealing with problems at the mini scooter hire shop next to the lobby, hmmm, them greeted by a very nice lady at the counter which is situated...well its almost outside there is no lobby as such. We were checked in and told our room, we went up, the elevator was old, badly maintained and had to share it with a lady who had the largest basket of laundry ever, thats no vacation laundry. We got out of the elevator and was greeted by decor that was dated and just awful, the colors on the woodwork were nasty and badly painted as if my teenage son had done it. The room was small, with two beds that had torn and badly stained sheet, we didn't even sit on them in case of what we might find. Everything had a dark layer of dirt on it, the cable from the wall to the ceiling light, the microwave, the television. The screen on the window was chicken wire used for animal pens, below the air conditioner was a metal tray of water. The closet looked like it might collapse at any moment and it stunk of something similar to vinegar. The view out of the window was onto another tower block that had broken out windows with wood covering the doors and tattered curtains blowing in the wind. We looked briefly at the bathroom and that was when we decided no more. We walked our cases back down to the lobby (well desk really) and stated we could not stay in that room, they showed us another but lets be honest it was no better. We checked out there and then. On a plus they offered us a full refund which did surprise us there so customer service was good. Oh and as we walked out the hotel with our cases in tow another police car was dealing with yet another problem on the street, We took that as the ultimate sign. Maybe this is good for young people who really are not that worried about where they stay but my wife and I do. We walked up to the Hilton nearby and begged for a room damn the expense.

Room Tip: Please read the reviews, I didn't enough and that was my downfall. I wish now I had taken photos...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!