I grew up in Hawaii so I've stayed in or been in almost every hotel in the area. We stayed at the Prince Hotel for several weeks during the holidays this year. The Prince hotel has a fantastic location (near Waikiki but not technically *in* Waikiki proper) but is Japanese run and so may not appeal to U.S. visitors as much as some of the others in the area.
- Killer location right between Waikiki and Ala Moana.
- Steps from the beach, Ala Wai yacht harbor and Ala Moana shopping center.
- Good room rates considering location.
- All rooms have a decent ocean view.
- Smaller rooms with older furnishings. Well worn.
- Smells funny (like sushi and soy sauce, probably coming from the Hakone restaurant). I know this sounds sort of obtuse, but it really does impact the overall experience. Japanese tourists smoke a lot too so this adds to the strange aroma.
- Parking is $12/day extra.
- This is a Japanese owned hotel so it is mostly laid out for Japanese tourists and tour groups (75% of the occupants were from Japan during our stay). This isn't bad per se, but it does give you a distinct feeling of being an outsider if you are from the "mainland" (presumably the people who read these reviews).
Overall, this is a very good hotel, but based on your budget and needs you may prefer the following:
Halekulani: far and away the nicest Waikiki hotel (but you don’t necessarily want to be in Waikiki unless you are a first time tourist and like crowds and the smell of fat people baking in coconut oil).
Hilton Hawaiian Village: not as nice as above but has a lot of shops and nicely landscaped grounds.
Hale Koa: may be the best of all in Waikiki but you must be US Military to stay here.
Turtle Bay: on the opposite side of the island from Waikiki but that’s exactly the point! Recently remodeled and expanded.
Can't go wrong visiting Hawaii btu also consider the outer islands if you've already been once. Aloha!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracious hospitality. Exceptional value. No mandatory resort fees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prince Hotel Hawaii
- Prince Hotel Honolulu
- Hawaii Hotel Prince
- Honolulu Prince Hotel
- Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki Honolulu