“It was ok” 3 of 5 stars

Third Night FREE!
Ranked #35 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“It was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights with an Internet special. I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the Ala Moana and it not being right in the heart of Waikiki, as well as the floor to ceiling window views.
The first night while sleeping someone else managed to open our door with their key, luckily we had the bolt on the inside and they couldn't get in. The next morning we were moved to another room and took every security precaution. We didn't realise we had been moved to a smoking floor and later that night as people were smoking in their rooms I could not breathe and had to be moved again, this time to the "non-smoking" tower. Staff were very helpful, however moving us to a smoking floor was definitely not ideal and I would have preferred going down a room grade than to having a smoking room.
Two moves in a day, we did leave a few items, but the ones we left in the fridge were never found. The ones in the bathroom returned by housekeeping at checkout.
The room we did end up in was quiet and comfortable. The king size bed was comfortable and loved being able to have the windows open. The bathroom was very clean. Be sure to check the bill carefully as when we were considering getting wifi we noticed we could pickup other rooms with a charge to room option. We didn't end up using it at 11.95 per device per day, we went to maccas across the street for free wifi.
The free shuttle to Waikiki was good, however filled up quickly. The first night we caught it we were told to wait in the lobby and an announcement would be made to board, however there was no announcement and we noticed other people getting on the bus. We went out and got the last two seats. On the way back one of the scheduled pickup points was full of trolleys and tour buses and it didn't stop. So we had to wait for the next one.
Once we were finally settled and secure we had a good stay. The pool was nice and staff friendly. The meals seemed expensive so we either caught the bus to Waikiki central, ate nearby or went to Ala Moana centre.
Cab rank at the hotel meant we didn't need to pre-book or share to get back to the airport to leave and was very quick and easy.
Would I stay again? Maybe. Was a good location for the shopping centre and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Got a good deal for the view/location combo of this hotel. The shuttle to waikiki is a good bonus. Very near Alamo car rental, another plus. The pool on the 5th floor has awesome view, and good to relax in. But could be heated during October and later months. Too cold!

Room Tip: Every room has marina view. If you can afford, take rooms above 20th floor as far left as possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is like stuck in the 1970s, at least that's the last time it had any sort of an update/renovation.

It's a tired old run down hotel. Everything feels old and icky.

The staff are friendly, no problems there.

The rooms are tired and worn.
The whole hotel has a well worn out used feel to it - I guess you get what you pay for.

If u are looking for a bed for a night and cheap , it'd do, like just somewhere to stick the luggage while you are out surfing or shopping, but for a full holiday you'd have to be mad.

• Stayed November 2012
Gesteuyala W, Manager at Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. The Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki was built and opened in 1990. Our recent renovation took place In 2011. We replaced guest room carpets, artwork, desk chairs, lounge chairs, flat screen televisions, desk and dressers and bed/bed package. New carpets were also installed at our Prince Court and Hakone restaurants. As part of our public area upgrade, we completed a redesign of our street front waterfall to an eco-friendly theme with a new tropical landscape.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel represents good value for money. It has generous sized rooms, a good bathroom, which has bath , seperate shower & good toiletries. Everything in the place works as it should !!. There are enough high speed lifts to ensure almost no waiting. The hotel is designed, so that every room has an ocean/marina view. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows, part of which open to allow the sea breeze in. Naturally they are all airconditioned too.
Every staff member is on the ball, polite & quietly efficient.
Whilst a hotel & not a resort there is an outdoor pool, spa & sundeck on the 5th floor with drinks & snacks available at reasonable prices.
Being a scrooge, I thought that hotel meals were expensive, so I never ate at the hotel. There are many good eateries & resteraunts within 500 metres of the place.
The hotel lobby is very civilised, with ample seating, a coffe & cake shop, reasonably priced gift shop & a great bar.
The hotel rooms are very quiet.
The hotel is well located, with great proximity to local busses.

Room Tip: This hotel is officially non smoking. However if you must smoke, there are smoking rooms available
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, not to be confused with Waikiki Prince Hotel, to attend a wedding. I was in a suite, room 2520, upon walking into the room there was an odor. I wasn't sure what it was. As I inspected the room further I discovered there was black mold immediately above a vent, certainly leading to mold inhalation. Definite failure on the hotel to control moisture and maintain cleanliness. Staff was great, but would not stay again as this place can be a detriment to health.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Gesteuyala W, Manager at Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your observations regarding the black mold around our air conditioning vent. Upon receiving your comment, we had our engineering and housekeeping department conduct a thorough investigation, to include removal of the air conditioning grills and inspection of the ductwork and the area around the air conditioning. I was advised that there was no mold and that there was a build up of dust and moisture on the silk blend wallcovering. Our staff has since cleaned the referenced area.
Thank you again for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for 9 nights. We wanted a relaxing holiday - and that's precisely what we got. This hotel was right in front of the marina - quiet, beautiful and very well-maintained. The view from our room on the 28th floor was fantastic. The hotel staff were all very accommodating and helpful. The concierge organised all the tours we wanted without any hustle (an added advantage was that this hotel was the first point of pick-up and drop-off for the tours, so you didn't have to struggle going in and out of the bus). The hotel had all the amenities we needed and, yes, the elevators all worked perfectly. We never had to wait for more than 2 minutes.

While not located centrally, it was walking distance to the beaches, shops, restaurants, etc, and it was only a 3-minute walk to the huge Ala Moana Shopping complex. I don't think I can recommend this hotel highly enough. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view of the marina, but the view on the higher floors are, of course, better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel, as I once had close involvement with a former sister hotel group back in Australia. So the name and brand was familiar (and target client base), its position close to where friends were staying was also a factor. Never having traveled abroad before, the familiarity was comforting, but after staying, I can assure people it’s the location, accommodation and services excelled in all degrees. The service I received from all staff I came in contact with went beyond what I initially expected and the hotel room on both occasions was superb.
The hotel accommodations are divided into levels according to the price you pay, I was staying on my own, so being budget conscience, opted to stay the first few days on a lower level, then on my return from Maui planned to stay the next level up. On arrival they placed me on level 12, overlooking the hotel pool and with a Marina view in the Ala Moana tower, then on return from Maui I ended up on the 28th floor in amongst the Suites levels (levels 27-32). Marble fitted bathrooms, large queen size bed (12th floor) and king sized Bed on the 28th floor, the room appeared to be slightly wider than the one I had below and both rooms were large enough to swing two cats in!! During my first stay a complimentary gift box of biscuits and snacks were placed in room, as a turn down gift, totally unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyed.
They had no issue with me leaving baggage behind to collect on return and no charges applied, Concierge organized a day tour around Oahu Island and a Semi sub tour for my stay on Maui and both are highly recommended. Towels were provided complimentary for your trip to the beach, and it was only a hop, step and jump away from the Ala Moanna Shopping precinct and parklands.
Whilst I didn’t partake in any meals at the hotel, (friends and I enjoyed many around Waikiki’s well established restaurants though), the lobby shop was useful and the internet corner was well used also. Would I go back there, my word I would, for the price I paid you could not have got better and was I think better value than the Five star beachfront down the road

Room Tip: All floors look out to sea, and overlook the Marina, the public floors take up the first few levels...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki? Share your experiences!