“Location, accommodation and services excelled in all degrees'” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night FREE!
Ranked #33 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Cairns, Australia
“Location, accommodation and services excelled in all degrees'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel, as I once had close involvement with a former sister hotel group back in Australia. So the name and brand was familiar (and target client base), its position close to where friends were staying was also a factor. Never having traveled abroad before, the familiarity was comforting, but after staying, I can assure people it’s the location, accommodation and services excelled in all degrees. The service I received from all staff I came in contact with went beyond what I initially expected and the hotel room on both occasions was superb.
The hotel accommodations are divided into levels according to the price you pay, I was staying on my own, so being budget conscience, opted to stay the first few days on a lower level, then on my return from Maui planned to stay the next level up. On arrival they placed me on level 12, overlooking the hotel pool and with a Marina view in the Ala Moana tower, then on return from Maui I ended up on the 28th floor in amongst the Suites levels (levels 27-32). Marble fitted bathrooms, large queen size bed (12th floor) and king sized Bed on the 28th floor, the room appeared to be slightly wider than the one I had below and both rooms were large enough to swing two cats in!! During my first stay a complimentary gift box of biscuits and snacks were placed in room, as a turn down gift, totally unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyed.
They had no issue with me leaving baggage behind to collect on return and no charges applied, Concierge organized a day tour around Oahu Island and a Semi sub tour for my stay on Maui and both are highly recommended. Towels were provided complimentary for your trip to the beach, and it was only a hop, step and jump away from the Ala Moanna Shopping precinct and parklands.
Whilst I didn’t partake in any meals at the hotel, (friends and I enjoyed many around Waikiki’s well established restaurants though), the lobby shop was useful and the internet corner was well used also. Would I go back there, my word I would, for the price I paid you could not have got better and was I think better value than the Five star beachfront down the road

Room Tip: All floors look out to sea, and overlook the Marina, the public floors take up the first few levels...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is part of the Prince chain which, in Japan, provide some very good quality hotels. Sadly, this hotel is not of the standard I have come to expect from experience in Japan.

The hotel is in a decent location close to Ala Moana Park and shopping mall, and walkable to Waikiki beach and all the shops and restaurants around there.

The rooms all face to the sea so you'll get a pleasant view whatever room you are in, though the hotel charges a premium for rooms above floor 29. The view is good from 30 upwards but whether it is worth paying extra for is a matter of personal taste. A plus is that the windows open wide in all rooms so you can get a break from relentless air conditioning. Also the rooms are of a decent size for a long stay.

That being said the rooms appear rather shabby, the bed was awful - lumpy and well past its best, the bathroom could have done with a deep clean and fittings such as the a/c controls were dated and battered.

Add to this that wi-fi is chargeable ($11.95 at time of writing) and is per device. So connect your iPad and a laptop for instance and that's a charge for each - thus, if there are two of you in the room and each connect a device you'll be charged $23.90 a day! That's worse than staying at the Hilton who are notorious for their internet charges.

Parking also doesn't come cheap at over $17 a day for self parking, but that seems commonplace around Waikiki.

As a Japanese chain the Prince is popular with Japanese tourists and it feels very much like a tourist hotel, comfortable but not plush or elegant in any way with passable but not exceptional service - there are many better hotels nearby.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Convenient to good places to eat and the major Ala Moana Shopping Center. Hotel can be easily accessed by city bus. Staff are well trained and very helpful. Food is excellent especially the seafood buffet. We live on Maui and love to stay at the Hawaii Prince when we visit Honolulu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I chose to stay in this hotel as it was reccommended by the expedia.com.au website. I booked a 9 night stay in an ocean front room for my partner and I. I was expecting a 4 star experience which we unfortunately did not receive.

Pros:

* check in process was smooth & efficient
* ample refridgeration storage
* walking distance to the Ala Moana centre
* lovely view of the sunset from room 1616

Cons:

* there was someone else's hair in the bathroom sink when we first got to our room

* luckily there wasn't an actual tsunami on 28th October 2012 because the hotel staff could not tell us what the evacuation proceedure was after we heard the sirens and saw the news flash to get away from the area we were in

* between 2am and 3:30am on halloween, we were awoken by loud, drunk and violent guys banging on our door. My partner called security who came up to our floor (16th). The security guard then escorted the drunken guys downstairs. Five minutes later the drunken guys were back fighting in the room next to us. The drunken guys then decided to continue banging on the doors on our floor including ours. As we couldn't sleep, my partner called security again only to watch the security guard walk around the floor and go back downstairs?! Furthermore, the front desk treated our request for security to check our floor the second time as though it were a huge hassle. We had no choice but to give up. Security is obviously not a priority at the Hawaii Prince.

We have stayed in hotels in Bali, Thailand and Cambodia and we have NEVER felt our safety and well-being treated with such disregard as we experienced at the Hawaii Prince. Four star? I think not!

*avoid the Reef Lounge bar, the service there is non-existent. The waitress was more concerned with chatting up other guests than the fact that she served a blueberry kiss cocktail with a fly in it. Mind you, the place was pretty empty bar the 4 other people there. She actually got annoyed that we mentioned it?! She did not offer to rectify the situation and it was only as we walked out that the manager tried to say something. Four star? What a joke.

• Stayed October 2012
Divide, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

As far as I can tell, all of the rooms at the Hawaii Prince face the ocean. The hotel is well kept and the staff are excellent. Parking is expensive, as it is in all of Waikiki. The parking staff new me by the second day because we came and went so often and they retrieved our car when the saw us heading for the doors. Restaurants are OK, but somewhat limited, There are a wealth of nearby restaurants, so this is not an issue. The pool was great and we had a very enjoyable visit. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

When we first arrived, we have lost our passport and all hotel reservation. Staff was nice and assisted. Hotel is right next to Waikiki. Its very clean. Hotel was a bit away from downtown waikiki but that's good because its not noisy at all.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When you travel you have multiple experiences with everything involved. With a hotel, you'll have the room, the service (or a variety of services), the location, etc. Same with the Hawaii Prince. A lot of reviewers I read, especially on other review sites, will "1-star" or completely lambaste a hotel and everything about it as a result of one really bad incident. I won't do that here, but it's tempting.

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights with a Kama'aina rate after selling our house on Oahu and getting ready to move back to the mainland. In trying to book an August stay over the phone in June for such a notoriously busy time, there were some good and bad points. The good is, they were very accommodating in trying to find us a reasonably priced room during our non-negotiable time frame. That was a credit to them, though the bad part is, for reasons I won't go into here (nobody's fault on this score), we had to call them three times. Speaking to three different people, we got three different answers on what rooms were available or unavailable and at what rates. That was very frustrating. But as I said, in the end we got a very nice room at a fair rate. This extended to check-in, where the front desk folks were fantastic and did their best to help me out (I checked in early, by myself, before retrieving the family later in the afternoon). They gave me a corner/end room on an upper floor, which we wanted for everyone's sake as we have two little kids with big lungs. So far, so good.

The room was very nice. It was clean, quiet, had a nice, spacious bathroom, a fridge, and a safe. The size was enough to hold two cribs, though with those we were slightly, but only slightly, cramped. It wasn't the largest room we've ever had, though no complaints at all in that regard (I don't mean to suggest it was small--if you are a couple traveling alone, it's plenty big). We also had free wi-fi, but I think that was included in our package (they have a variety of packages to choose from, too many to list here, and I'm sure they change regularly). The ocean view was also very, very nice. The window was one of those where you could keep it open the whole time and breathe in the ocean air. The noise from down below wasn't too bad. The best part was the internal quiet. The walls were very thick. Even with two at times screaming kids, our neighbors insisted they couldn't hear anything. Except for hall noises, which were loud at times (unavoidable in the hotels I stay in and more the fault of those making the noises), you couldn't really hear a thing.

So that was the good. The bad would be the valet parking/bellhop staff. If I could give individual ratings, I'd give the other service folks 5 stars, the valets 1 star, and the hotel 4 stars. If I could describe the valets in one word, I'd have to choose from several, some too profane to post, and settle on "vultures." From the moment I pulled in to check-in, they were on me. No problem as I politely declined help (I had one small rolling suitcase and a backpack). But I had to decline three (3) times during my 30-foot walk from the car to the front door. No exaggeration. And more followed in the lobby and then later on when my family arrived. One even offered help while driving by in a car he was valet parking (?). Seriously. Now I know how Robert Stack felt in Airplane! In other reviews I've distinguished between a lack of service, good to great service, and overzealous service. I do appreciate the offer(s), but at what point do you go from good service to over the top? We may disagree on when that point is reached, but I guarantee we'd all agree this was egregiously over the top. What's more is, they were CLEARLY, and I mean CLEARLY, offended by my declination. I don't say that lightly and I'm not one to imagine things that aren't there. My spurning their numerous offers, however politely, had one in particular giving me a glare, an attitude he later verbalized--as a result he wouldn't let me park in the check-in parking strip because they were "too busy", though there were literally only two other cars there (his behavior resulted in a manager's apology). Had my family been with me originally, with our gobs of luggage, I gladly would've accepted one of the many offers. But because of their extremely rude behavior, once the family did arrive later on, along with enough luggage to contain the full wardrobe of most royal families, I intentionally declined their help, which of course had them swarming and glaring at me like the cobras in Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Okay, I may be exaggerating that last part a bit, but that's what it seemed like and, bottom line, with only one or two individual exceptions, they were rude and unprofessional as a group. The rudeness was outward and not at all subtle, even as we had two infants in our arms making our way inside. As with all hotels, if I want help I'll ask for it, and if I don't, I'll decline. End of story. At most hotels that decision is respected after the first declination and that's that. Not here, at least in my experience. I could write several more paragraphs on how bad this valet experience was, but you get the point so I'll spare you the agony.

Like I said, I won't fault the entire hotel for that one aspect of the stay. Plus, others may never have an experience like that at the Hawaii Prince, and it's guaranteed they won't if they utilize the valet service (don't worry, you won't have to look too hard to find them). And without that experience, the excellent marks as provided in paragraphs 2 & 3 really make this an excellent destination, with the following minor exception depending on what you're looking for in a Waikiki hotel:

The location isn't that great for a "Waikiki" hotel. It's at the Ewa (leeward/west), or Honolulu, end of Waikiki. If you want to walk to the Ala Moana mall, it's somewhat convenient for that. There are also a few stores/restaurants right there, but nothing worthy of your trip to Hawaii. To get to the true Waikiki hot spots, you have to hoof it pretty good. It's just not convenient to anything on Kalakaua and it's not close to the center of Waikiki beach (can be good or bad depending on your tastes). Others mentioned that it's on the perimeter of Waikiki, so it's close enough but still quiet and out of the way. I agree with them in that sense, and it was a perfect location for my situation, but honestly, if I'm a tourist, I want to either stay in "downtown" Waikiki or I want to be a bit closer, say at the hotels on the other side of the Hale Koa, like the Outrigger Reef, Trump, Embassy Suites, or Halekulani. Those hotels are what I'd consider "perimeter but convenient to Waikiki," more so than the Hawaii Prince. From the tourist POV, those seem to me like better locations either right in the action or closer, and not inconvenient, to the action. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Overall it's a solid hotel and a nice place to stay with great front desk personnel. If you know what it offers and what it doesn't, you'll enjoy your stay. Use or disregard my personal valet experience as you see fit. If you utilize their services, it'll be a non-factor for you I would think, in which case I'd rate it 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki? Share your experiences!