“Lovely stay in boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Paris, France
“Lovely stay in boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Wonderful boutique hotel with nicely decorated rooms. The rooms were thoughtfully planned out and carried on with the hotel's theme. We enjoyed having our own kitchen, as well as lanai where my husband liked to read. The rooms were comfortable and clean

During our stay the front desk staff was very helpful and gave us lots of tips for our first stay in Hawaii. The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants, we especially liked one in the new hotel across the street. The beach on this side was also much less crowded than in the middle of Waikiki. The hotel is close to the mall, where you can catch the bus to visit other parts of the island, or of course do some shopping.

We look forward to staying here again soon!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
theequushotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay. We are glad to hear that both you and your husband enjoyed your time with us. It is important to us that you experience our local hospitality, and leave with a great sense of aloha spirit. We hope to see you again soon!

mariah.dailey@hawaiipolo.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Just returned from a marvelous vacation trip to Waikiki. I had a most excellent stay at the Equus Hotel! For my tastes, the hotel is perfectly located at the north end of Waikiki. Situated close enough to comfortably walk to Waikiki Central, but yet far enough off the beaten path to get a sense of seclusion from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, itself. Not to mention, there are plenty of restaurants close by, and also very close walking distance to the beautiful Ala Moana Beach Park and Ala Moana Shopping Center, Yet another big plus for me!

Puka, the gentleman who checked me in, really outdid himself when I asked for a room one one of the higher floors (I had read in here that the Ala Moana road noise may be of concern). With a short wait, he set me up on the 9th floor in an outstanding King room (which, by the way, I was able to upgrade to with the Trip Advisor coupon.). The room was absolutely more than I had expected before arriving here and a pleasant surprise!

Along with Puka, the entire staff was friendly, informative, and helpful in every way! I would absolutely book this hotel the next time I come back to the area...which I hope is very soon!

Trust me, in my opinion, you really can't miss with the Equus Hotel!

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your review.We appreciate your business, and are pleased to have made your trip to Hawai'i a memorable one. We hope you choose to stay with us again when you return.

Würzburg, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

The front desk night shift was really nice and even let me use the computer to do an online check-in for my flights. Furthermore, on my last day of the stay I talked to Réne who also works at the front desk. After I had checked out, we chatted about our love for the ocean and she offered me the opportunity to use a hotel room for taking a shower in the evening before leaving for the airport. That way I could go to the beach on my very last day in Honolulu and still not be all sandy and salty on the flight back home. Also she gave me a christmas tree ornament :) Thank you so much!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
theequushotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so glad to have made your stay a memorable one. We hope that you will think of us the next time you visit Hawai'i!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is my 5th time at the Equus so have to admit a bias ! We have tried about 10 other mid range hotels but the Equus stands out by far on friendly customer service, generous size and clean rooms and sumptious beds.

There are a number of steps up to the Lobby but my Mum is 85 and she did not complain. There is only one lift which can be a little slow. There is traffic noise - but you have glazing and air conditioning and it was certainly not as noisy as the Wyland ( now Courtyard).

The receptionists are all fabulous ( Puka esp) and you will always be greeted with a smile and a corteous answer to any issue you raise. A breakfast is provided each day in the adjoining Marina Towers of toast fruit and coffee. There is a fridge and coffee maker in your room and free internet !

A big thank you to Rene and her team. We will back again next year which is the best recommendation I can give.

Martyn

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your loyalty, and are pleased that you took the time to share your experience with us. We strive to set ourselves apart by making every travelers experience unique, and want each guest to leave Hawai'i with a sense of aloha. We are glad to have you as part of our Equus ohana, and hope to see you again soon!

Gainesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

The hotel does not seem new or fresh and it has several inconveniences. It is difficult to find and the garage is in a separate building. There is no interesting view. Note that the "and Towers" refers to a separate building with different types of accommodation at higher prices. I would not stay there again unless really desperate for some place to stay in the area. Also note that the so-called upgrade coupon probably will not actually get you an upgrade. You will probably find that it is a "if space available" deal and that no upgrade rooms are available.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you left dissatisfied with your stay. We apologize if there was any confusion regarding the parking structure, however we are advertised as a dual-building hotel. We do have parking on The Equus side, however it is limited, and is best used for checking in and out.

In regards to your coupon, if you have this upon booking, we will upgrade your reservation automatically. If you wait until arrival, it is difficult to adjust because we then can only use what is available to us at the time. Please make sure to let us know before hand, and we would be more than happy to accommodate you.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again on your return trip to Hawai'i. I would be more than happy to arrange your reservation personally to ensure your requests are guaranteed.

marysville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

If you could stay in a clean, comfortable newly renovated room, with all the basic amenities, plus some extras like a flat screen TV and refrigerator, add friendly service and convenient location to, well, everything,top it off with reasonable rates ( including return guest discounts) ....
WHY would you stay anywhere else?
I can walk to Ala Moana Shopping Center, or for a quick snack... the ABC store is at the corner, a little further you are at the Food Pantry with fresh fruit, muffins, a warm packaged dinner or even my favorite...Sushi!
I can cross the street and be at the beginning of Waikiki (on the North side) , go for a run at the park, or enjoy Pizza and beer at the Harbor Pub.
You want to go to the main avenue, Kalakaua? The Equus is right on the bus route or just a 15 min. walk. Personally, I like to relax with a nice stroll on the beach with many entrances to take me to the main road.
Dislikes? Well if I were rich and could afford to spend tons of money on a view that I look at a few minutes at night before I go to sleep and a few minutes before I go there, then I wish it was right on the beach like at those Main Premium Hotels.
This is a "short" review of all the great things I could say about staying at "The Equus"
So WHY wouldn't you stay there?
Thank you to Puka for always making me feel welcome at your Hotel!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the area with other travelers. We are glad to have served you so well. We hope that you will continue to stay with us and if you would like to get those ocean views, you can always stay in the tower when you return!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I stayed there as a solo traveller in Cctober
Good hotel great location very nice room

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you chose to stay with us, and hope that you will come back to visit soon!

mariah.dailey@hawaiipolo.com

Been to The Equus Hotel? Share your experiences!