“Going above and Beyond!” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Going above and Beyond!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is the first hotel I stayed at with EXCELLENT customer service. I would like to thank Linelle for her time and patience for helping with direction's and helping me with other question's I had. She was more helpful then the front desk clerks. Them alway's being busy answering there phone. What I didn't understand was there was three worker's at the front desk and was wondering why either the two ladie's in the back never helped assist me. I shall return in the near future due to Linelle's GREAT customer service. Thank You Linelle!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Linda l,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, and will utilize your comments to improve our services. We will certainly pass on your kind regards to Linelle and ensure she is rewarded for such excellent service. Mahalo from our family at The Equus Hotel, and will look forward to seeing you again soon!

877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Auburn, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked a reservation using their online system. I had a confirmation number and email. Per their regulations, I called 3 days prior to arrival to cancel. I was told that they could not cancel my reservation since I did not have one. I checked on the credit card used to guarantee the room and found out that they are charged my card one night on the day I reserved. They DID NOT state that I had to pay for one night when I made the reservation. I disputed the charge. I did not stay at this hotel. I did drive by it and its in a terrible location. Access to the hotel is via Ala Moana Blvd which is one way in that area so you must be traveling in the direction of the shopping center or you have to make a U-turn near the Ilikai. Oh and just to make the impression even less favorable, I just received a "thanks for staying" message from them. So as I say, do not make a reservation and please do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DebBAuburn_WA,

Thank you for taking the time to review the reservation process that you received, and give us feedback to help improve our services. Unfortunately, the policy of our hotel is charging one night in advance, and the rest is collected upon checkin. This is to ensure that we have the correct details of each guest, and also to help expedite the checkin process once you arrive.

We apologize if the cancellation process took longer than anticipated. I assure you that this is not a regular occurrence, and we will do our best to ensure it does not occur again.

We would urge you to give us the opportunity to host you at our property, so that you might experience what we have to offer. We truly do commit our energy toward creating a unique customer experience, and providing the authentic Hawaiian experience that is so difficult to find these days. Please give us the benefit of considering a stay on us, before casting us aside.

We appreciate your consideration, and thank you for helping us to improve our service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The Equus hotel is a charming Beautiful hotel. I Loved there new waterfall out front of the hotel. My room was kept up very clean. I stayed on the 5th floor. I want to give a HUGE Thank you to the housekeeper Linelle who took careof my room. I was also surprised to find out she was also The Equus hotels concierge. She does a great job and does need to be recognized. Thank you Linelle for everything. The Equus is very fortunate to have you.

• Stayed May 2013
Jewelzin,

Big Mahalo from the Equus Ohana! We appreciate your enthusiasm, and we also thank our lucky stars for having employees like Linelle. We will be sure to recognize her on your behalf. We hope that you have the opportunity to return, and get to know the rest of our incredible family. We are pleased that you enjoyed the waterfall, and all of the details the Equus strives to make matter. Until next time!

Flat Rock, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Based on other reviews, I stayed here for 2 nites in late May, 2013. It is clean, the staff friendly, but it is a 2-star hotel. It has no unloading area. The small 7-stall parking area is open (re; subject to break-in). You have to haul baggage from there and up a steep flight of steps to the hotel's single, slow elevator (and we were on the 7th floor). From inside our room, the front opened to one side of the narrow bldg (ie; like a motel) and the balcony door was the other side. We couldn't get A/C to work, called front desk and was told to "jiggle the handle of the balcony door". This didn't work, but a nice, polite maintenance guy used double-sided sticky tape to fix the problem within 30 minutes. The bed was rather soft, there was no tub (shower only) and neither the bathroom nor balcony door would fully shut. Is a 10-minute walk to the beach (if you don't mind walking thru the main entrace of one of the beachfront 5-star hotels. Is also 10 minute walk to Ala Moana Mall. So, if on a tight budget and needing to be on the west end of town, you might consider Equus. Otherwise, for the same price, you can stay at the much nicer Wakiki Resort Hotel, but you will be on the other end of town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback. We can always use assistance in improving the little things that matter most to individual travelers. I apologize that these things seemed to add up during your experience, and I assure you, this is not what we strive for.

In regards to our small boutique, we advertise as such, and we apologize if you were unaware of our unique approach to hospitality through striving to stand out from the surrounding chain properties. We do have a small garage of 15 stalls, and are aware that this can often be troubling for some guests. We do offer another lot off-site, that some guests are more comfortable using, if you need more space.

We are regretful that you did not utilize our bellman service to assist with your luggage up our small staircase. This is a fault of our own, and we will seriously consider ways to ensure no guest is left unattended in such a manner.

Often in Hawai'i the outdoor "motel" format with open hallways is utilized, since you don't come to Hawai'i to be indoors. This is something that provides a lot more comfort in feeling that you truly get to experience the beauty and joy of being in 70-80 degree weather at every moment possible. However, your concern is noted, and we will certainly look into options to make this more appealing for all customers.

Lastly, we would like to thank you for your feedback on the AC. We have a new system called GREEN STAR energy saving system that is installed in order to save energy, and have our guests feel that they can participate in helping keep Hawai'i green. This system has been flawless (up until now), as our guests key card acts as the key to turning on the AC. You simply slide it in the slot when you enter the room, and it goes on, and when you leave you can remove it and the AC automatically lowers to 75 degrees. This is an optional program to participate in. However, if your keycard is in, you must keep all doors closed, as this is the largest waste of electricity in most buildings- running the AC while having doors and windows open. We apologize that this caused an inconvenience for you, however we feel it is our duty to ensure this does not happen, as we would like to promote keeping Hawai'i as beautiful as possible, for as long as possible. This seems to be one of those important ways.

I hope that we have clarified some of your concerns, and it is up to us to ensure that our guests are educated in all of these matters. Mahalo for bringing this to our attention, and we will do our best to improve on these points. We hope that you will consider staying with us on your next visit, so that we can provide better quality for your experience.

Kahului, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in May and I just wanted to thank the conceiree Linelle for helping me put a Luau Package together I also want to say that she does an awsome job during the Friday evening cocktail hours she was very helpful and very nice and really shows the aloha spirit because of her i will refer my family and friends thank you again Linelle

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Babey13,

Mahalo for your review. We will pass on your gratitude to Linelle, and ensure that she is rewarded for the great job she does as concierge. We hope that you will continue to stay with when you return to Oahu.

Mariah Dailey,
Medford, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

To say this hotel was a disappointment is an understatement. We choose this hotel last minute because our flight got cancelled. I went off the great reviews I read about the Equus on TripAdvisor. After staying there, I am quite certain those reviewers must have been staying at a different hotel.

"Boutique" is the hotel's way of saying it is old with thin walls and single pane windows. There was so much noise from the street below I could not sleep and we were on one of the highest floors. I downloaded white noise and used earplugs and still didn't sleep well. The room is small but the bathroom is tiny. There is a huge 2" gap under the entry door. There are a handful of parking spots under the hotel so we had to hike blocks away and pay $20 a day in a parking garage. We had to climb two flights of stairs from the street to the lobby with bags and children. No elevator. The staff was marginally helpful during our stay.

I would not return to this hotel for any reason. The cost is similar to other nearby hotels, please try one of those instead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TravelingOnStandby,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do appreciate the opportunity to improve our services, and your feedback is important to us. To address some of the issues you mentioned- we are a small family run boutique, and we try to provide value for our guests visit to Waikiki. We understand that for some guests, staying at the resort hotels or chains might be more comfortable, as it is familiar, and can provide you with all that you need on-site (while charging extra for all of it). However if it is convenience you are looking for, than that might be ideal.

As a boutique, we try to offer a unique experience. We strive to make all items inclusive, so there is no need to be surprised by added on charges. We also endeavor to provide our guests with local insight on things to do on Oahu off the beaten path. We act more as a home base, to come and relax in the evenings after a long day of adventure. If this is not what you are looking to experience in a hotel, then we are happy to suggest other locations that might better suit your needs.

In regards to your experience, we are regretful that you did not enjoy your time with us. We assure you that this is not the experience that we strive to provide. We will certainly take your suggestions seriously, and look into making improvements where possible. Please contact us directly if you would like further suggestions or information.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at The Equus Hotel. We rented a car and did not spend anytime at the hotel during the day. When we were at the hotel, it was everything we could hope for. Everything was comfortable and convenient. It was a short walk (40 yards) from parking to the elevator. We were on the 9th floor and I can say that every room on our floor had an ocean view. Outside our front door we could see the boats in the Marina. The hotel is about a half a mile walk to the main drag in Waikiki which was great because the main street there is filled with people.

The front desk handled every request of ours immediately. The staff was so nice and helpful. Pookah was working the front desk during the majority of our stay. He was unbelievable. Yoshi also worked the front desk and was just as helpful. The hotel also has an association with a horse stable in the North shore. We booked a horseback ride through the hotel and were not let down. The trail we rode on was right on the sand on the North Shore and they have a great beach where we brought our own picnic lunch. I would definitely recommend the ride.

In the room, there is a medium sized fridge/freezer which was great for keeping our own drinks cold. There is a K-cup coffee maker in the room as well. There is a convenient store open til 1 right around the corner with snacks, drinks (hard and soft) and gifts. Also, a couple blocks inland, there is a Walmart. The room we had had a king size big that was great. There is a great balcony with table and chairs on it which was great for sending email in the morning with some coffee as well as watching the passing traffic with some wine in the evening. The staff was unbelievable.

All in all, it was a great trip and staying at the Equus made everything easier for us. We absolutely plan on coming back to Honolulu and we will absolutely be staying at the Equus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew K,

Big Mahalos from our Equus Ohana. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and will pass along your gratitude and praise to each of our team members. Be sure to let us know the next time you plan to visit, as we would love to host you again in the future. We look forward to your return!

mariah@equushotel.com

Been to The Equus Hotel? Share your experiences!