“Dont Be Fooled” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Big Surf

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Big Surf
You added Big Surf to your Saves list
1690 Ala Moana, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ottawa, Canada
“Dont Be Fooled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Only good thing was the location.The unit was dirty and very run down.We were there for 2 weeks and no cleaning was done,no extra linens provided.We had to go to laundermat and pay to have the linens cleaned,this was pricey.I dont know who is in charge of this place but they are obviously not very interested in keeping clients.We had to pay a cleanong fee when we left and I wonder what they do with that money as we had to clean the place as best we could when we arrived.Everything was filthy!!!We had 2 babies with us and for sure we could not let them crawl on floors.
Will never prepay total cost again and never stay at Big Surf but will definitelt return to Hawaii

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed here with friends who were visiting Hawaii and were traveling on a budget. My friends chose the hotel because of the price and access to surf spots and I have to say it definitely delivered. It didn't have the amenities of a bigger hotel but then again it didn't have the same price tag either. We also saved money by shopping at a grocery store nearby and cooking in the kitchen in our room.
The lady at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a newly remodeled room which was nice because for the price we weren't expecting anything fancy. If you're looking to save money on a room so you have more to spend in Hawaii or just want a place with a great location to keep your stuff while you're shopping or at the beach all day then I would recommend the Big Surf for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
san francisco, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed there one month with my wife. I have to say the price was pretty good for Waikiki, but please, go somewhere else, here is why :

location is good, thats it !
the rooms are terrible, feels like you ve just time travelled to 1955, it smells bad, stains everywhere. in a month, our room was "cleaned" three times !!!!!! they even charged us $70 cleaning deposit when we left.

the management doesnt exist. Seriously this place is awful, totally ghetto, DO NOT GO THERE

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Earth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

i do hate saying this, because i know it is not all the long & helpful of a review, but, let me get right to the point. Dump. Cheap, sure, so if you only care bout one thing (and if you do, your criteria are off) and that only one thing is money, ok, go here. if not, keep looking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

I've stayed here once before. It's a great place if you don't want to spend tons of money on a super expensive luxury resort.

I was here last year and they've made some updates - cute lanai in front, internet access room. The ladies in the front were just as sweet and remembered me! Some people that have given this place not so great reviews are probably just snobby tourists. One of my favorite things I like about this place is that it's family owned! So many big hotels and corporate buyers (i.e. Trump!) have bought so much of Hawaii, really making it un-Hawaii. This place employs only local people and I'm happy to spend my money on mom and pop hotels.

I love the breeziness of the hallways, and the location is a huge plus. It's out of the craziness of Waikiki, has great views of the harbor and ocean, and is a hop skip to Ala Moana, where I go shopping. You'll save a lot of money by avoiding shopping in Waikiki and do it at Ala Moana.

I found this place to be clean and am very happy I didn't blow a lot of money just somewhere I would hang out and sleep when I could be spending my money on snorkeling, eating out, and shopping.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Big surf was a big mistake! We got to stay in a half decent room for two days then was told I had to switch rooms. The new room we were moved to was horrible. There were ants in the kitchen the carpet was stained badly the bathroom had a leak from the sink and there was this worrible smell. I didnt know were the smell was coming from but I think it was in the carpet. The workers would not let my family come up to my room when they would come to pick me up so they had to wait outside on the sidewalk. The first room I stayed at was barely OK and the second room is why I checked out and went next door which the price was the same but the room was ten times better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HNL Airport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

I am an airline employee and work at HNL airport. So I came here looking for a intermediate to permanent place to stay.
The room #804 is ok, but small. But it was dingy. I asked to be moved to another room, but informed me that once I had keys to the room, they wont let me pick somewhere else. Within another day I marched to the ABC Store and bought Ajax and Pinesol and promptly cleaned and dis-infected EVERYTHING, and EVERY SURFACE. Shower curtain had light brown and slimy scum, but hot water, ajax and pinsol fixed that! TV Remote is a mis match and NO batteries.
The breeze is hot and cannot get any cross breeze unless I open my room door. I dont think so. Will not let me have AC or allow me an option to have it for extra. They obviously had AC once before because the area is boarded up and the 115/220v plug is painted over. I work on the hot tarmac 10-11 hours a day, and would appreciate the choice to cool and dehumidify my place!The jaulouse windows are out of date and will not seal out inclement weather or bugs and spiders as there is no screen over it, which I asked for twice. I had to ask twice for housekeeping. Finally the deal breaker is that Im not happy that I can't have friends co-workers from the airport come visit, as they are strict about that or they INSIST that they make a copy of every visitors' drivers' license!!. More scrutiny than where I work, where its high security! That won't fly too well with my co-workers.-No social life here I guess. Repeatedly , Management not helpful nor friendly and I AM ASIAN! . For what Im paying 825 a month, not getting a lot in return!! For another 150 I can lease a nice well furnished and clean AC'ed condo down the street and can have overnight company or visiting co-workers. Would not advise to stay in future.
RJ-HNL Airport

• Liked — access to 19 and 20 busline to airport
  • Disliked — no ac, no visitors, no assistance to requests
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Big Surf? Share your experiences!