“Very good Condo hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   229 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Very good Condo hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here May 4-13th, 2013 in a 1 bedroom ocean view unit.
The room was perfect. Separate bedroom and a living room / full kitchen area. Clean and well furnished. The room was cleaned daily and we never saw the maid.
The only thing I would comment on is the view of the ocean was a little disappointing. If you truly want an ocean view I would recommend staying in a hotel directly on the beachfront.
As far as location, once again it was great. Plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping within easy walking. I do recommend renting a car while you stay here. Not to get around Honolulu but to see other parts of the island which are absolutely beautiful, especially the north shore.
We would definitely stay at this hotel again and have no problem recommending it to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
wcvgm808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank your for providing us with your comments on your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff were able to meet your expectations. Mahalo for selecting Aston Hotels and Resorts.

951 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I would have given this place fie stars but there were a few problems that we had encountered. I had to request for housekeeping to clean my suite twice and they did a poor job.The second thing that I had a problem with was finding a dead bed bug on the floor near the bathroom. Other then that the hotel was in a nice area , close to the beach and the staff were friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone. As always if you are worried about Bed Bugs they are common in even the most high class hotels. Take precaution , do not take your luggage into your home, wash everything in hot water and check your luggage for any bed bugs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on your stay at the Waikiki Sunset. We do take your comments to heart and have reviewed them with our housekeeping staff so that we may better our operations. As you have noted, bed bugs are a problem world wide and in checking our records, it does show that this was reported and we had our pest control company conduct an inspection in the room you occupied and the findings were negative. These creatures can find their way via clothing and luggage so it appears to have been an isolated incident. As a preventative measure, we do treat our rooms on a rotational basis to avoid having instances such as these occur as do our sister Aston properties. Mahalo!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Aston Waikiki Sunset is conveniently located. Just 2 blocks to the beach. 1 block to the Honolulu Zoo and Queen "K" Park. This hotel offers airline employee discounts and this was one of the reason we chose to stay here. The reservation process was simple and every rep I spoke to was extremely helpful. I asked for a crib (no extra charge) to be in our room and it was at the time of check-in.

Check-in...wasn't so smooth. The male rep that assisted us was making things very difficult because we wanted to pay for the room on 2 cards since we were traveling with our in-laws and they wanted to pay upon arrival. He indicated that we could not do this but ended up being able to...?? He also mentioned a $100 refundable deposit that I was not aware of. He ended up charging us less for the deposit but again made this process a little more challenging than necessary. In the end, it did work out in our favor.

The room...a 1-bed with living room/sofa bed. I asked our desk rep if the room was "nice". He indicated "All our rooms are nice." Well I beg to differ. On the way to our room like others have noted, the public interiors are in need of serious upgrades. Everything looks really worn. Once we reached our room 3111, I was kinda impressed at first and then noticed the room looked nothing like what I saw in pictures online. The kitchen was updated but the carpet was filthy with stains and the bathroom marble-tiled walls was "different" and very dingy. We stayed one night in the room and because I just knew we could do better asked the next day about how rooms are selected and indicated that our room was not what I had expected in terms of cleanliness and features. We were offered a few upgraded rooms (2-bedroom and/or 2-bed penthouse) but we weren't interested in paying anything additional. And really did come to Hawaii to enjoy the beaches and food, not a hotel room. We were moved to room 3609 and it was what I had seen in the pics. Clean, hotel grade carpet (3111 had regular berber and it was gray, so every stain was obvious). There was also an extra closet in the bathroom which was very beneficial since there were 4 adults. I was very impressed with the desk rep that day (wish I could remember her name) but we were all very happy campers after the room switch. The balcony was a great feature! B-EAUT-IFUL views, very relaxing. I did not watch much TV but some of my family did and the two flat screens was nice.

The amenities...The kitchen was great; very clean and well-equipped. The laundry room right on our floor was great. The pool and tennis court was nice. The court was repainted one of the days we were there. The views were priceless. 3609 is a mountain view room and it was worth it. You can view the ocean on every floor by going to the EXIT at the end of the floor and see the amazing view without having to pay for the ocean-view...that is if you just want a few pics like I did. I am sure the ocean view rooms are worth it but others in my party really didn't care about the views but I wanted to ensure we were on a high floor. The elevators were fine to me. It did get busy at times but never caused any inconvenience for us. The parking was convenient. You have direct access to floor 2 - 6 and the elevator (I believe) by using your room key. It is $15/day and there is another lot not even a block away at $10/day, if you don't mind walking. The Market on floor 5 was nice. They actually sold $5 tees like most of the other shops like ABC and had a good selection. You could also rent some beach gear. In terms of food/groceries, just make the drive to Safeway, it's really close and although food costs are going to be high everywhere, it is much more affordable if you shop for these items somewhere other than Waikiki. The business center is a joke...you have to pay to do anything on those PCs and I don't quite get the purpose or convenience. Maybe limit the acceptable sites to airline websites only and then pay to print but I don't know why anyone would use them for the price they are charging. Housekeeping was great. Everyone very friendly. I really wish they had a fitness center, apparently you can pay to go to a gym nearby, we didn't inquire further as we weren't interested do so.

Overall...we'd stay her again. I actually would stay here every time we come to Waikiki. I hope they are planning to reno the lobby and main hallways with new carpet and future or at least a real good deep cleaning. The benches near every elevator, on every floor I visited looked pretty gross. And the green paint on throughout looks pretty cheap...for what it's worth. As for me though, those are just my thoughts and really didn't make my stay any better or worse but for management sake if they are interested in appealing to more or just simply improve the public space that is where they should start. We loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We have recently changed our property management system and our employees are still getting used to the new system so I do apologize for the confusion at check-in. For you information, we do secure a $100 refundable deposit for incidental charges at the time of check-in and this would be per room. Regarding the first room you stayed in, we have just completed a room renovation project of which 100% of our owner did participate in, however, we do have an owner who owns 8 units and we are working with them to complete the renovations to their units as we have allowed them to spread the costs to complete all 8 units in a certain time frame, which they are dilligently working towards.

I have also taken your comments on the public areas and the 6th floor hospitality room and forwarded them to our Condominium Association office which has control over these areas. There is a lobby and public area renovation project that they are finalizing and hope to start in the very near future.

We certainly hope to see your return to the Waikiki Sunset should your future travels find you back on Oahu. Mahalo for chosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was cautiously optimistic when I booked this Hotel, it has been my experience that you get what you pay for in the Waikiki. If you want the "glam factor" of Waikiki Hotels this is not the place for you. However, if you want a clean, quiet place with all the amenities of a fully equipped condo this is the place. My family and I stayed in a two bedroom suite (one queen bed and two twins)on the 19th floor facing Dimond Head. The hotel is situated off the main drag of Kuhio street which means you don't hear all the busy street noise.
It was nice to have a fully equipped kitchen, which meant we could save money on dining out and keep left overs for the next day when we did dine out. We caught the city bus just a block away from the hotel and went to the Farmers Market at Kapiolani Community College( Saturdays in the Parking lot) to stock up on fresh fruit and produce for the fridge.
The pool is not huge, but it is adequate and we saw plenty of small children enjoying it. There is also a tennis court near the pool as well as a gas barbeque grill for a family cook out.
There is a $15.00 a day resort fee and some people think that is a rip off. I travel to Hawaii frequently and I can tell you that this is pretty cheap and most hotels charge some kind of resort fee and those can run between $20.00 - $25.00 dollars, for what? We had a newspaper at the door every morning and access to DVD rentals. I liked having the paper every morning and my teenagers used the DVD rental, so for me I got my $15.00 worth. Speaking of fees, the parking is very reasonable as well. Major chain hotels nearby charge $25.00 a day. The Aston only charges $15.00.
Again, don't expect anything fancy at this Hotel, if I was in charge I would put a little more money into making the hallways, lobby and rooms looking a little less dated. Aesthetics aside, I can say that this will be my go to hotel for any future vacations on Waikiki. The bottom line, clean, quiet, convenient to beaches, parks, zoo, grocery stores and staffed by very nice people.

Room Tip: The "mountain view" rooms are quieter and cheaper. The rooms on the SW end of the buildin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
wcvgm808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing with us how your recent stay with us went for you and your family. I would also like to extend our Mahalo to you for also sharing your experience with our amentiy fee and daily parking charge. We do try and incorporate much of the added amenities for the amenity fee versus charging separately for each component and the parking is very reasonable as you have stated as you are correct that most Waikiki hotels are charging between $25 and $35 per day for parking. Mahalo for selecting Aston Hotels and Resorts.
Duncan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had 1007. It was a lovely room with views of the mountains, nice and clean with a well stock kitchen. It had a hide a bed couch. Easy walk to the beach and shopping. Kids loved the pool. Laundry was just down the hall. Lots of public transit. The travel deck in the lobby.. were very helpful picking and booking tours. The Zoo was a just a couple of blocks away. We had a great stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on your recent stay. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your room and the view. We have also passed on your comments regarding the travel desk to Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays. Mahalo for chosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.
Rockhampton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

When we arrived we found out that the room was two single beds pushed together and a sofa pull out bed. This is not what we thought we had booked and we questioned them about it. I called my travel agent in Australia and spoke to her about it. She sent me and e-mail with the discription, it was open to interpritation. We spoke with a lovely lady, Jen, at the front desk about it and she gave us a few keys to check out some other rooms. We decided to upgrade to a two bedroom appartment and "Jen" gave us a little reduction on the price. This Hotel was in a good position and an easy walk to the main street. When we needed to print out boarding passes for our trip home we were told we had to pay to use the internet and there was a cost to print out the boarding passes, it was $1 for four minutes and then I think 50 cents per page. We passed and decided we would do this on the I Pad. Paying a daily amenity fee of $15 per room I thought, would have taken this into account.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay with us went and we are happy that Jennifer was able to assist you and find a suitable room for you. Unfortunately due to limited resources and the time it takes to print the boarding pass, we are not able to accommodate these requests at the front desk on a normal basis. We do try and assist our guests with this request, time permitting, however, assisting our guests checking in and departing are the priority. There are computers available in our 6th floor hospitality room where you can print out boarding passes and that is where the $0.50 per page charge comes from. This system is under the responsiblity of our Condominium Association and not part and parcel of the daily amenity fee. Thank you for your understanding regarding this.
Mason
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Room 1702. Clean yet a bit worn & dated. Good housekeepers. Pleasant staff. Nicely equipped kitchen. Great view. Easy access to all, e.g. easy walk to all wakiki and access to any type public transportation. Felt homey. Laundry rm good value and clean

Room Tip: Go for ocean view at least halfway up
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing how you enjoyed yourselves with us and I am happy to hear that our staff made you feel comfortable during your stay. Mahalo for chosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.

Been to Aston Waikiki Sunset? Share your experiences!