“Good Value for those seeking extra space” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   229 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Special Offer
10% OFF - #AstonLife
Cairns, Australia
“Good Value for those seeking extra space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed here twice (3 nights in early April and 2 nights in late April) on our way to mainland USA, mainly as a break for our young kids. The hotel was at the 'quieter' end of waikiki. I would agree with this as downtown waikiki is like the Gold Coast but in a smaller area...lots of tourists, not surprisingly. It was noisy given that the streets around the hotel were being resurfaced at the time. Check-in was relatively painless, although it didn't accept the credit card I offered (twice) whereas this was no problem in mainland USA. The 1 bedroom unit we had on the 31st floor was great for us. It was clean, well presented and the view soothed us from the noise eminating from the street below. It was good for us to have an extra room to get the kids to bed. The kitchen was good for preparing meals as Honolulu, especially waikiki, is a bit pricey when it comes to food (and pretty much everything else). Try the Safeway...its amazing... which is about a $7 cab ride (or 20 min walk) outside of waikiki. The pool was good, although a bit breezy. Internet access was good to have to keep in contact with family at home. The beach is a short walk, even for young kids! Prepared food is relatively available. There is an ABC store nearby. There is a 'Wolfgang Puck Express' for good pizza and salads. There is also a Subway and Starbucks. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, it certainly suited our needs for a little extra space.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
golfnut808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Aloha AJG35,

Mahalo for sharing your great comments and suggestions with our readers. I'm very happy to hear that you found great value in our accommodations and like our location. Being able to prepare a meal or two each day will save you a great deal of money that can be used for other things. Yes, Safeway is on Kapahulu Ave., and Foodland is a little further up the street. Either market will provide you with everything you need to prepare a meal.

I'm sorry to hear about your credit card not being accepted. Please know that we use a service that most of the major hotel companies use in Hawaii. My suggestion is to contact your credit card bank to see what the problem was.

Mahalo for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .

Doug Okada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Andover, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon and it was a great hotel to stay at. Our room was updated and very clean. We enjoyed the space that we had as well as the kitchen. We paid a little extra to be on a higher floor and it was worth it. We were on 18 and we had an excellent view of the ocean. We could watch the surfers on Waikiki beach from our balcony. The location was great as well because it was only a 5 minute walk from the beach. There also was a little convience store on the 5th floor where you could buy some simple groceries or other items you may have forgotten. We didn't use it, but it was definitely nice to have in case you wanted a treat or something like that. It was also great to have free internet. The internet was only on the 6th floor (you could pay if you wanted it in your room), but was useful for the few times we needed it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloha minday11,

First and foremost, congratulations on your recent marraige and Mahalo for choosing to stay with us on this very special occasion. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations, view and location. All of our rooms have been recently renovated, so it's like staying in a brand new place, and yes, our location is great too. Just a 5 minute walk to Waikiki Beach and a few more minuites to the center of Waikiki.

Mahalo for staying with us and we hope you'll be staying with us to celebrate your upcoming anniversary. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

From the moment we were greeted by Penny we went into "holiday mode". The room (2912) was clean, bright, spacious, great view of the ocean, and if you looked left you also got a view of Diamond Head - double bonus. The kitchen was eqipped with all we needed and there was plenty of cupboard space. Food Pantry was a short walk down Kuhio Ave. and the ABC Shops are everywhere. The hotel is an easy 5 minute walk to the beach and there is TheBus stops around the corner as well as the Trolleys. Nanami and Shawn from the Tourist Desk were fantastic and could not do enough for you. I will stay here again if I ever retuen to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Try to get a room 27 floors and above.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Aloha shaunaMelbourne,

Mahalo for your great comments on your recent stay with us and about Penny. Yes, she is a great asset to our hotel and I receive a lot of nice compliments about her friendly service. I will be sure to share your comments with her. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the great view you had from your room. Our location is also very convenient to the beach, restaurants, shops, and most major attractions in Waikiki.

South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We (wife and I) stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in mid April 2011

We booked it based on reviews, pricing, location and the fact that we wanted a location with a full kitchen. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite (Bedroom + Living Room/Kitchen)

Location and Noise Level: Good location – about 2 blocks from the ocean and about 5 blocks from Waikiki Beach. The hotel is near the Diamond Head side of Kuhio ave – and it’s a lot quieter than the main drag in front of the ocean.

We were on a 17th floor and got a room with two twin beds – kitchen –suite etc. The place is large and roomy, cabinets for clothing, all appliances work well, it’s reasonably insulated from street noise.. We got a room facing Ala Wai blvd – so it was mountain view. This is probably why it was not as noisy as other hotels on the beach itself.

Room Amenities: Decently stocked kitchen with 2 pots (non stick) and a steel frying pan. Full silverware, large cutting knife, scouring sponge, dish soap and drying rack. It does NOT have a dishwasher and there is no ‘maid service’ that does your dishes for you every day. Full granite counter top, large windows and a small lanai (balcony) connected to the bedroom.

The rooms have very good AC that takes care of any humidity etc

There is an iron and ironing board as well. The living room and the bedroom have a flat screen TV.

Bathroom was clean, comfy and fully functional.

Alarm clock in the bedroom was set to wrong time and could not be reset (buttons did not work)

Other Amenities: The 4th floor has FREE pool/beach towels. You can check out what you need, but you have to return them by the end of the day otherwise you get charged. There is a sign-in/sign-out sheet to do this.

Sleep Quality: We were on a higher floor and the windows were decently insulated – though you could still hear a loud truck or sirens on the road. Also, noisy neighbors upstairs were dealt with by front desk/hotel security – it helped a little.

Parking: We paid extra for parking – about $11 per day for parking – and this gives you 24-hour in/out privileges. If you are renting a car and staying here, try to rent a compact or economy car. Parking is TIGHT and it’s easy to ‘bump’ into columns or other cars. It’s less stressful with a smaller vehicle.

Internet: There is NO en-suite WIFI. As of April 2011 it costs about $39.95 per week for web and it is a cable hookup to your computer. The web connection was OK – often times very slow and frustrating. There is free WIFI on the 6th floor and this worked very well….but you have to go down to the 6th floor every time.

There is a business center on the 6th floor that allows you to print out boarding passes for free. All other printing is a per sheet cost.

I am going to list some final PROs and CONs about this location relative to other Waikiki Hotels AND other similar places (w/ kitchen etc):

PRO – Quiet location, Mostly Families and Couples, Not noisy ‘Party type’, decent kitchen, clean room, friendly front desk, free pool/beach towels, free web on 6th floor.

CONS – No en-suite WIFI, Slow paid wired WIFI en-suite, kitchen has no Tupperware, busted alarm clock, tight parking spots.

Note: The Aston Hotel group does not own all the units in this building – some units are owned by private individuals. So the Hotel cannot control some of these units in terms of noise, pets or other such things.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to other since it has more pros than cons – and if you want a quiet location on WAIKIKI where you can cook your own food – then it’s really nice.

Room Tip: Ask to get upgraded to a higher floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Aloha Arrege,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay and for sharing it with our readers. You provided some great insight and recommendations. I'm sorry about the alarm clock and it sounds like you didn't report it to us. Hopefully by now it has been replaced, but I'll have our maintenance staff check on it. You stated that you were on the 17th floor and on the mountain side, so we can easily figure it out. In the future, please report these problems to the hotel. We try to make every thing perfect, but some things can get past us.

Mahalo for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Until then, Mahalo and . . .

Kamloops, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I recently visited Waikiki for one week with my two children, ages 8 and 11 and we found the Aston Waikiki Sunset was a great choice for us. We were looking for something affordable that would get us relatively close to the beach without breaking the bank. Admittedly, the amenities are limited but if you are looking for a comfortable place to stay that is close to everything, this is a good choice.

The rooms are all condo style with a bedroom and kitchen. On the plus side the rooms are quite large and the king size bed in our room as well as the pull-out were very comfortable. It is in a quiet location and we had a great night's sleep every night. The bathrooms were quite large with lots of room to store stuff. The kitchen was all brand new but we found it was limited in terms of cooking equipment/utensils. You had all of your glasses and plates, silverware, etc. but we had only one small pot, one small frying pan and rice cooker. If we had decided to actually cook a full dinner, it would've been impossible. There was also not a single cooking pan for the oven, nor a flipper to cook with just the silverware. As it was, it served our purposes and was very convenient for preparing snacks and breakfast in the room every day. I'm not sure if every room is stocked this way, but if you are planning to eat many of your meals in the room, you may have to pick up an item or two.

The hotel also has a small store that pretty much stocked everything you might need at the last minute from groceries, liquor, souvenirs and beach rentals. I personally found their beach rental prices very affordable and they are certainly cheaper than renting once you get to the beach. Ultimately, it is only a 5 minute walk to the beach so not far to carry a chair or umbrella.

We also found the pool was a nice feature at the end of the day. We spent most of our time at the beach but having a pool (which was in the shade most of the day) was a nice break. It is on the small side, but it was good for the kids. Plus the pool deck is huge so there is plenty of space to sunbathe. There is also bathrooms with a full changeroom and showers off of the pool which was handy on our last day when we had already checked out and weren't flying out until late in the day.

One suggestion, especially for travellers with kids, buying body boards is the way to go. Rentals are quite expensive on a daily rate and you can buy a board for about $15-30 (depending on size) at the ABC stores. It will easily pay for itself by the end of your stay. On our last day, we just found a family who had newly arrive and gave them our boards.

Another positive is its close proximity to the beach. At teh foot of Paoakalani is Kuhip beach which is great for kids with a seawall enclosing the swimming area. It is shallow and no waves. However, if your kids are older or more adventurous like mine, you just have to head to the other side of the wall where Queen's Surf beach is and you can have all the waves you want. We went there everyday and the surf was just right for my kids. The water is shallow for quite a ways out so it is fairly safe for older kids. Maybe not so much so for the littler ones.

All told, we enjoyed this hotel and its location and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Aloha tvfoley,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us and for your suggestions to our readers. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our accommdations and location.

I'm very sorry to hear about the lack of cookware in your room. Typically our kitchen is well stocked, so this must have been an over sight on our part. For your future reference as well as for our readers, please contact our housekeeping department if you need something.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 6 days 4/4-4/10 and we were pleased with our room 1702. We were also happy with the $11 parking for a rental car which is why our friend who was with us rented a separate car. We especially liked the fact that we had a very nice view of the ocean. Regarding the parking, I prepaid parking for my friend's car for 3 days and 2 days for our car. However, my friend only ended up parking for 1 day since they got their own hotel at the courtyad marriott, I requested to get a credit and spoke to an employee Penny in the morning, she was very nice and helpful and told me to bring in the original parking pass and a copy of my friend's parking pass at the Marriott in order to get 2 days credit. That night I returned to the front desk to hand over the parking pass and explain that my friend forgot the marriott parking pass and would give it to me the next day, the employee on duty initially said that he would give me a credit but when I mentioned my conversation with Penny that morning he immediately handed me the pass and said bluntly "I cannot issue you a credit, speak to Penny" I was baffled at the change in attitude from being helpful to being cold and confrontational when I asked him why do I have to wait? He would not even let me finish my explanation, consistently telling me to hold on to the parking pass and speak to Penny in the morning and do not need to explain to him because he was "not there". I explained to him that I need to surrender the parking pass as proof that I did not use it and will not use it the following day and if I keep it then they would have reason to tell me I cannot get credit for that day because I kept the parking pass. Due to my frustration I asked him why he is giving me an attitude and that is the only time he let me finish my explanation. I eventually was able to convince him to at least make a copy of my parking pass and keep the original in my file and I would keep the copy just so that I had proof I turned it over and did not indeed use it so I can get credit for it. After he did that I said thank you and he didnt even acknowledge me. I was shaking and very upset when I got back to my hotel room after realizing that I might have to see him again the next day. Each night we would come home, I dreaded seeing him because I was afraid to make a complaint since we were still staying at the hotel. Anyhow, I would love to go back to stay at the hotel but I would not because of that employee. I evebtaully got a credit from Penny the next day and she was so nice and very accommodating to me and listened to my explanation.

Aloha Fena0,

Mahalo for sharing your comments with me regarding one of our staff. Please know that I spoke to Penny about this and she had already counseled this person. My sincere apology for this unacceptable behavior.

Overall, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with your accommodations.

Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We just got back after staying 10 days (March 31st - April 10th) at the Aston Sunset. We had a great time and will book into this hotel the next time we go to Oahu. The staff was always friendly and helpful. It was a very short walk to the beach and we found it very easy to go back and forth. The bus stop is about a minute from the hotel and we used it several times. There was nothing about our stay that we regret. Free Wi-fi on the 6th floor was nice and just enough to keep us caught up on e-mail. We had a water view and our friends had a mountain view - both rooms were excellent. Our flight back to the mainland was at 9:00 pm and they stored our luggage for us while we enjoyed one more day on the beach. There are also showers on the 6th floor (this is where the pool is) which allowed us to shower before heading to the airport. There are definitely fancier hotels on Waikiki to stay, but if you are looking for a great place to sleep and relax at a great price then you should consider the Aston Sunset. Nothing fancy but everything you need to enjoy a stay on Oahu and Waikiki Beach.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
golfnut808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Aloha Teslamab,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations, service, value, views and location.

Mahalo for sharing your experience with our readers and I hope that they too will get to enjoy the Aston Waikiki Sunset.

Mahalo and. . . .

Doug Okada

Been to Aston Waikiki Sunset? Share your experiences!